Is Roden cheating?

Is Roden cheating?

April 3rd, 2012, 11:40 am #1

I was doing some kit bashing using a Minicraft DC-6B and a Roden DC-6 and noticed something that looks a bit fishy to me....
[/IMG]
I would expect that two sculptors modeling something simple ( like a wheel ) might come up with identical parts, but for something complex like an engine it seems unlikely. Am I off-base, or is this accepted practice in this industry? Has this been going on for years and nobody cares? Could two people modeling an engine come up with identical parts?

April 3rd, 2012, 11:58 am #2

two people producing a highly detailed, accurate part should come up with things that look very close to each other

but, with the oversimplified engines you show there,,you do have to wonder how two different pattern makers would come up with that level of "leaving the detailing out" that they show,,,,,,that is not very likely

Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/

April 3rd, 2012, 12:42 pm #3

I was doing some kit bashing using a Minicraft DC-6B and a Roden DC-6 and noticed something that looks a bit fishy to me....
[/IMG]
I would expect that two sculptors modeling something simple ( like a wheel ) might come up with identical parts, but for something complex like an engine it seems unlikely. Am I off-base, or is this accepted practice in this industry? Has this been going on for years and nobody cares? Could two people modeling an engine come up with identical parts?

April 3rd, 2012, 2:10 pm #4

[/IMG]
the plastic is a different color in each example! (nudge nudge wink wink)

bob
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

April 3rd, 2012, 3:04 pm #5

[/IMG]
It's not exactly unheard of but on a good note it looks like the Roden parts are better moulded than the other one.

April 3rd, 2012, 3:21 pm #6

[/IMG]
Save for detail differences, they are identical. The Revell kit was produced after the Monogram kit and was released before both companies became one.

Look, when a vastly superior alien culture comes all this way to take over your world, certain basic laws of planetary conquest apply. For example, when someone points a Quad Vectored Hypo Thermic Cosmo Blaster at you, it's a fair bet you are about to become toast. And in your case, a whole loaf of toast!

April 3rd, 2012, 3:59 pm #7

[/IMG]
The Roden DC-6 engine is on the left, and the Minicraft one is all the way over on the right.

April 3rd, 2012, 4:14 pm #8

[/IMG]
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. n/t

April 3rd, 2012, 6:11 pm #9

[/IMG]
The difference is that Roden will sell their engines separately. n/t

April 3rd, 2012, 8:02 pm #10

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. n/t
Consider yourself flattered.

Happy Modelling! Roy
Visit my blog at:
http://barracudacals.blogspot.com
Last edited by roysutherl on April 4th, 2012, 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.