Is it my imagination or do Model Master enamels dry up much faster than they used to?

Is it my imagination or do Model Master enamels dry up much faster than they used to?

April 12th, 2012, 11:14 pm #1

I know a lot of you folks use acrylics, but being of the old school who have been using Model Master and enamel paints since he was 12 and used his mom's tires to provide the air pressure for his crappy Badger airbrush ( boy was she mad when she couldn't drive on four flat tires!) it seems like the paints dry up much faster than they used to. I find that if I don't use the paint up within a couple of months they dry up, and at 4.00 a bottle, along with the after market parts most of the kits need I won't be able to afford to build kits. The only thing I can think of is the EPA gestapo have taken all the preservatives out of the paint because all us modelers are destroying the planet. Any ideas on this? I just threw away about forty bucks worth of model paint that I bought less than six months ago. If you have suggestions on how to prolong the life of my paint please do tell.
Cheers

April 12th, 2012, 11:24 pm #2

...with a plastic one from a Coke bottle cap. I'm not a big enamel guy myself, and when I do they're mainly Humbrol, but I've read this tip for many years.

April 12th, 2012, 11:33 pm #3

I know a lot of you folks use acrylics, but being of the old school who have been using Model Master and enamel paints since he was 12 and used his mom's tires to provide the air pressure for his crappy Badger airbrush ( boy was she mad when she couldn't drive on four flat tires!) it seems like the paints dry up much faster than they used to. I find that if I don't use the paint up within a couple of months they dry up, and at 4.00 a bottle, along with the after market parts most of the kits need I won't be able to afford to build kits. The only thing I can think of is the EPA gestapo have taken all the preservatives out of the paint because all us modelers are destroying the planet. Any ideas on this? I just threw away about forty bucks worth of model paint that I bought less than six months ago. If you have suggestions on how to prolong the life of my paint please do tell.
Cheers
Testors paints don't seem to last so long after they've been opened. I have bottles of Floquil more than ten years old that are still good. I can't quite understand why Testors comitted the unforgivable sin of buying out Floquil and then discontinuing their line of awesome paints.

April 12th, 2012, 11:42 pm #4

...but it was RPM that bought Floquil.

I can't remember exactly, but they may have bought Floquil before they bought Testors.

April 13th, 2012, 12:50 am #5

...with a plastic one from a Coke bottle cap. I'm not a big enamel guy myself, and when I do they're mainly Humbrol, but I've read this tip for many years.
I'll have to use it on my polly scale bottles

Cheers
Joe

April 13th, 2012, 1:07 am #6

Cheers
Yes I found the same. Old bottles okay...new not. esp. Jet Exhaust!!
Last edited by RedSteveSDMB on April 13th, 2012, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 13th, 2012, 2:23 am #7

I hate those stupid paper lid seals

April 13th, 2012, 1:57 pm #8

Cheers
Spitfire dude, I have been using Model Master enamels for years too. Enamel dries from both oxidation (coming in contact with air) and thru chemical reaction of the drier put in the paint to speed up the oxidation. I have had bottles of Model Master that lasted for years, and then had some that went bad after a few months as you described. Here's what I have learned the hard way and from years of being a professional painter: yes, make sure the bottle is sealed. If the paper seal provided by the factory becomes torn or coated with dried paint, replace it. I use gasket material myself from an automotive parts store. Just cut out a circle the proper size and insert it into the jar lid after removing the old one. Second, keep empty jars around that have clean lids and seals. When a bottle cap has gook all over it, transfer it to another bottle. Clean the bottle and cap threads and make sure they are on tightly to seal out air. Also, if you have any small 1/4 oz. bottles from the Testors or Pactra lines of paints, transfer your Model Master enamels to these when the 1/2 oz. bottles are only half full. The air sealed in the half empty 1/2 oz. bottles will begin to oxidize the paint and cause it to dry. I have also learned that it helps to shake the bottles up periodically to keep the binder, solvent and pigments in suspension. Protect your paint from light as well. I keep mine in a closet with the closet door closed. If possible, store the bottles of paint upside down. All these combined will give you paint that should last long enough for you to use it up. I have bottles of paint that are several years old and they still look and behave like new. Hope this helps.

April 13th, 2012, 4:00 pm #9

Cheers
I am glad that there is a solution. Part of my problem is my boys also use the paints and airbrush and do not take the same amount of care as myself, but that is not the only factor. I will get the gasket material. You would think with what they charge for a bottle of paint they could come up with a better solution than the same paper/foil combination that doesn't last past the first opening (this is right up there with 'why can't the model companies make a kit right the first time?") but I digress. Thanks again for your time.
Cheers

April 13th, 2012, 9:09 pm #10

Spitfire dude, I have been using Model Master enamels for years too. Enamel dries from both oxidation (coming in contact with air) and thru chemical reaction of the drier put in the paint to speed up the oxidation. I have had bottles of Model Master that lasted for years, and then had some that went bad after a few months as you described. Here's what I have learned the hard way and from years of being a professional painter: yes, make sure the bottle is sealed. If the paper seal provided by the factory becomes torn or coated with dried paint, replace it. I use gasket material myself from an automotive parts store. Just cut out a circle the proper size and insert it into the jar lid after removing the old one. Second, keep empty jars around that have clean lids and seals. When a bottle cap has gook all over it, transfer it to another bottle. Clean the bottle and cap threads and make sure they are on tightly to seal out air. Also, if you have any small 1/4 oz. bottles from the Testors or Pactra lines of paints, transfer your Model Master enamels to these when the 1/2 oz. bottles are only half full. The air sealed in the half empty 1/2 oz. bottles will begin to oxidize the paint and cause it to dry. I have also learned that it helps to shake the bottles up periodically to keep the binder, solvent and pigments in suspension. Protect your paint from light as well. I keep mine in a closet with the closet door closed. If possible, store the bottles of paint upside down. All these combined will give you paint that should last long enough for you to use it up. I have bottles of paint that are several years old and they still look and behave like new. Hope this helps.
I store my MMs upside down as well, and they keep for ever! I also put small labels on the bottom with FS number or color name.