Is it me or are eBay sellers over-pricing old kits..

Is it me or are eBay sellers over-pricing old kits..

March 25th, 2012, 5:55 pm #1

Seems to me that basic staple kits from Airfix, Revell, and Monogram, etc. have now become rare collectibles commanding high prices. Prices are ridiculous in some cases. Older kits are now listed at current re-issue prices. What gives? And don't get me started on inflated shipping charges.

OK, whining mode off.

March 25th, 2012, 6:23 pm #2

If some dummy will overpay then that's the right price.

March 25th, 2012, 6:42 pm #3

Seems to me that basic staple kits from Airfix, Revell, and Monogram, etc. have now become rare collectibles commanding high prices. Prices are ridiculous in some cases. Older kits are now listed at current re-issue prices. What gives? And don't get me started on inflated shipping charges.

OK, whining mode off.
based on what others are selling for on the internet! I routinely find like kits and current reissues going for different prices at The local hobby center.

Model building is Fun!........Model building is fun.......model building is a %$@#&%? *&&^$%% ^$!#%?"!

Scott A Bregi's Profile | Create Your Badge
Last edited by DrPlastic on March 25th, 2012, 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 25th, 2012, 7:31 pm #4

OK, whining mode off.
Some people believe just because something is old, it's valuable.
Problem is there has to be a demand for said old item as well.
A Hasegawa 1/32 Bf 109E is not worth $80, but some seller seems
to think it is. If he gets a buyer, fantastic.

March 25th, 2012, 7:57 pm #5

OK, whining mode off.
p-38 a perfect 10 aurora halberstadt and all the four star monograms in perfect condition...they were worth $100.00 once but i probably wouldn't get $30.00 for them now..............yet a monogram p-47d bubble sells for $22.00...a great kit if you add some seatbelts and close the canopy but a hase is $25.00...something lopsided here indeed...your not alone but as the man said supply and demand

r

March 25th, 2012, 8:20 pm #6

Mike

March 25th, 2012, 8:24 pm #7

p-38 a perfect 10 aurora halberstadt and all the four star monograms in perfect condition...they were worth $100.00 once but i probably wouldn't get $30.00 for them now..............yet a monogram p-47d bubble sells for $22.00...a great kit if you add some seatbelts and close the canopy but a hase is $25.00...something lopsided here indeed...your not alone but as the man said supply and demand

r
but most are run of the mill kits. Desirable kits sell well and get many bids; but, that doesn't mean that all copies of that same kit will sell for the same high price.

I think some sellers are clueless while others just search for the highest price a kit sold and price it at the highest price.

It does seem to me that most overpriced kits do not sell at all, they just take up listing space and make it hard to find the kits that are more reasonable. I've resorted to filtering out certain sellers.

March 25th, 2012, 9:11 pm #8

Mike
have some dandy's...look at the color from wrapped to unwrapped...the unwrapped cost me $90.00 in 1990...i'll bet there aren't 10 in the world in the shape of the wrapped one...would all most be a sacrilidge to bust the plastic

r

March 25th, 2012, 9:36 pm #9

If some dummy will overpay then that's the right price.
repeat until they find a buyer, sucker or not.

I do note tho many PRC based eBay sellers asking silly prices for recent kits (just 10-15 yrs old) and then adding in as silly posting rates. 20-30+ bucks for a 48th single engine to the States! And too on that very same eBay page, others selling the same kit for half w/ more reasonable, real world postage!

How is it that Lucky and other HK onlines can send a kit for 7 bucks yet these sellers req $20?

Throwing out a huge net and hoping to catch some suckers. Just like telemarketers and Nigerian princes.