Interesting WWII color photo

March 14th, 2018, 4:59 pm #1

Now, forgive me if it is old news, just found it very interesting:

https://scontent.fcwb2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5B39A949

Very different shades of green. Apparently, some repair done on the rudder trim tab; LOTS of oil streaks etc.

And what is a good match, forget exact, for OD! The color of OD. BUT>>>>

March 14th, 2018, 5:34 pm #2

Was the fuselage repainted "titty pink"and weathered badly? Or the entire aircraft, and they are replacement wings? Note that there appears to be an area of OD that was masked just over the cabin window. Or is that a patch and repaint?. Or was that just a very bad batch of OD supplied to Douglas.

Also, on the faded OD wing you can see the Medium Green blotches applied along the trailing edge.

Hopefully Dana Bell's monograph on OD/NG will be out soon.

Thanks, have not seen it before.

Similar, purportedly used in Operation Varsity.

Last edited by samodeldad on March 14th, 2018, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
—George Orwell

Zu Asche zu Staub

whiz

March 14th, 2018, 6:19 pm #3

Very different shades of green. Apparently, some repair done on the rudder trim tab; LOTS of oil streaks etc.
Nice picture. Notice the guy at the tail taking a whiz! LOL

Good catch. You are one for detail! 🤣🤣

March 14th, 2018, 6:49 pm #4

Good catch. You are one for detail! 🤣🤣
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

“The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
—George Orwell

Zu Asche zu Staub

When you gotta go.....

March 14th, 2018, 7:03 pm #5

When you gotta go.....

They were pretty much ALL like that...

March 14th, 2018, 7:24 pm #6

Was the fuselage repainted "titty pink"and weathered badly? Or the entire aircraft, and they are replacement wings? Note that there appears to be an area of OD that was masked just over the cabin window. Or is that a patch and repaint?. Or was that just a very bad batch of OD supplied to Douglas.

Also, on the faded OD wing you can see the Medium Green blotches applied along the trailing edge.

Great shots - I love those color variations on the C-47s and B-17s. The outer wing panels and fixed tail planes were built and painted by subcontractors who got their paint from different sources. The moving control surfaces were doped fabric, offering the chance for 3 ODs and 3 Medium Greens on every C-47 painted at the factory. Weather the aircraft, add a few repair touchups, and you've got a glorious model on your hands! (One day that 1/48th Monogram C-47 and I are gonna have a seriously splendid weekend...)

As for the book, we've been working our tails off and rushing in hopes of a debut at next month's Mosquitocon in New Jersey. Latest word is we might not make it, but I'm still hoping. In any case, the OD and Neutral Gray story will be color throughout (with some B&W images) and will certainly be available sometime next month.

Cheers,

Dana

Rode hard...

March 14th, 2018, 9:00 pm #7

Man, talk about rode hard and put away wet. The tail cone is also missing also. The pink o.d. overlaps onto the base of the rudder. This would make a very interesting build. would have to include the "whizzer" too.

A dark day ...

March 14th, 2018, 9:19 pm #8

I just like airplanes

And being filmed for bis 15 seconds of fame

March 14th, 2018, 9:28 pm #9

While the officers look the other way

You know, I wouldn't rule out a fuselage repaint - what looks like the same color...

March 15th, 2018, 12:19 am #10

...appears on the elevator hinge covers and is also carried up onto the fin and rudder. There are also a couple of areas on the horizontal stabs that look like the fuselage color. Maybe Sand? Then again, maybe the fuselage is just real faded OD...fascinating photo. The cargo door and hinge covers are in another shade of their own. The elevator and horizontal stabs look almost a medium green rather than OD. Really something going on there.

Cheers,

Lee G.