Information request

Information request

Ron Snow
Ron Snow

October 30th, 2011, 4:33 pm #1

I have seen at least one picture of the Coral Sea (Korean war era) with yellow dashed lines down the deck to aid aircraft. However, any other color pictures I see the dashed lines are what appear a grey color. In both situations the deck is a blue color.

I have learned the Midway class were the first American carriers with metal decks and the deck colors on the old revell kit of Coral Sea (Korean war era) are the pre-war WW 2 colors and not correct.

I have painted the deck the blue color and painted grey dashed lines. I assume the change from the light colored deck and yellow dashed lines from pre-war to the more sea colored blue and less bright grey versus yellow was a war measure to make the carrier harder for the enemy to see the carriers while at sea.

Has what I've done correct?

This researching can be a bear.

October 30th, 2011, 11:25 pm #2

I like it better when the researching is a beer.

October 31st, 2011, 1:07 am #3

I have seen at least one picture of the Coral Sea (Korean war era) with yellow dashed lines down the deck to aid aircraft. However, any other color pictures I see the dashed lines are what appear a grey color. In both situations the deck is a blue color.

I have learned the Midway class were the first American carriers with metal decks and the deck colors on the old revell kit of Coral Sea (Korean war era) are the pre-war WW 2 colors and not correct.

I have painted the deck the blue color and painted grey dashed lines. I assume the change from the light colored deck and yellow dashed lines from pre-war to the more sea colored blue and less bright grey versus yellow was a war measure to make the carrier harder for the enemy to see the carriers while at sea.

Has what I've done correct?

This researching can be a bear.
From what I've seen and read, the vertical surfaces were haze gray and all horizontal surfaces were blue (5-N if I'm correct). Here is link:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/42.htm