incorrect usage of decals just because you like it...

incorrect usage of decals just because you like it...

May 8th, 2012, 6:53 pm #1

this probably falls under the "build for you, not for anyone else" rule, but have you used decals just because you liked them, knowing they are wrong?

I bought the 1/32 B-25J kit and some aftermarket decals without any research. Got them today and found that the decals are for a plane out of the Mediterranean, not the Pacific, faded OD over grey, as I intend to build the plane and a possible diorama..
I guess the allure of the nekked lady decal fogged my judgment...

I might even use the other set that came with the sheet on a big P-38 too...

May 8th, 2012, 7:07 pm #2

... went with decals I liked, even though they did not apply to that aircraft. I call it a "what-if", and that will cover a multitude of inaccuracies.

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

May 8th, 2012, 7:17 pm #3

this probably falls under the "build for you, not for anyone else" rule, but have you used decals just because you liked them, knowing they are wrong?

I bought the 1/32 B-25J kit and some aftermarket decals without any research. Got them today and found that the decals are for a plane out of the Mediterranean, not the Pacific, faded OD over grey, as I intend to build the plane and a possible diorama..

...I call it a "coulda been but probably not".

May 8th, 2012, 7:26 pm #4

I recenly finished up a Maine ANG F-101B. I had some old MicroScale RR decals with Maine Central railways markings, nice pine tree motiff etc. I couldn't resist putting them on one of the drop tanks.

I figure that could be somewhat feasable, drop tanks get customized all the time...esp in the USAF.
Andrew White

May 8th, 2012, 7:34 pm #5

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

May 8th, 2012, 7:41 pm #6

RAF SEA markings. They are brick red with yellow centers. The scenario is that it is a Fighter that suddenly appears miles behind enemy lines, to save a photo-recon twin that is being monstered by some Zeros. It shoots some down, gives the twin a course home, then heads bank into enemy territory.
Implausible, but what else am I to do with way-wrong decals?
Kit is a 72-scale ACE (Hasgawa knock-off).
George, out..........

May 8th, 2012, 7:48 pm #7

I put kill markings off a F-86 on the nose and the decals are for a 106 I think. I liked it though and for a $1 rescued model it came out great, actually won a medal or two in contests!

May 8th, 2012, 7:49 pm #8

I build for my shelf first and foremost. It may be wronmg but if I like it then I'm happy.

My most recent example was screwing up the topside camo on a JV44 Fw 190D-11...see below. I like it though and I'll just build another.

[/IMG]

Later,

Lee
Last edited by mo49 on May 8th, 2012, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, 2012, 7:50 pm #9

is the matter with you? No real serious modeler would ever even think of it much less actually do such a dastardly thing. And if you do persist in such outward foolishness, please, no photography nor sharing that abomination with anyone. Not only is it heresy, but you may actually do permanent damage to those of us that take this whole model building thing seriously. I swear, you give some people model instructions and all they want to do is chew on the corners. I never!

McLents
Last edited by McLents on May 8th, 2012, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, 2012, 8:08 pm #10

If only for the sake of your imagination of what could have been or what you would have put on your plane. It's a hobby have fun.. as to the previous post...Really?? Seriously?? are you really that AR. Kit manufactures do this a lot, and do we Question, not til we look it up... I still say have fun. I won't to see this B-25 when you done...get going and dive right in forget the na say'er who are they anyway. Nakked lady, now that's a bomber!
Glen
Air-5 at least here anyway....