Il-2s in 1/48th - again!

Il-2s in 1/48th - again!

July 12th, 2012, 7:23 am #1

As my Tamiya Il-2 arrived a few days ago, I dug out one of my stash of AM Il-2s. Brett's comparison of the 2 kits is right, the Tamiya one is more crisply moulded and finer detailed - BUT!! The amazing thing is just how good the AM kit still looks (first released 1997), and I suspect when the Tamiya kit is built and placed alongside an AM model, you'll have to look closely to tell them apart! In size, shape and detail the 2 kits are astonishingly similar (both right, or both equally wrong?!).
I look forward to building the new Tamiya kit (sometime soon.....), but suspect I might throw together another AM one at the same time. The AM instructions and colour details are vastly superior to the Tamiya ones, which are occasionally very confusing, and I always enjoyed the chatty, informative and very practical written instructions in the original AM kits!
Build either kit for a great model of the warplane built in the largest numbers ever....

July 12th, 2012, 7:47 am #2

splendid 2012 release, BUT 1997 wasn't that long ago! Not like a stone age Frog kit. AM was perhaps a bit ahead of the curve but 1997 Tam/Hase kits were pretty nice 'way back' when too!

Now 70s 48th Tam Zeros. Still pretty nice after 40 yrs. Same w/ 48th Monograms.

Unless you're 20, 1997 was pretty much yesterday.

July 12th, 2012, 8:08 am #3

'Unless you're 20, 1997 was pretty much yesterday'

Aint that the truth...

July 12th, 2012, 9:52 am #4

splendid 2012 release, BUT 1997 wasn't that long ago! Not like a stone age Frog kit. AM was perhaps a bit ahead of the curve but 1997 Tam/Hase kits were pretty nice 'way back' when too!

OK 1997 for an oldie like me is yesterday, but I remember the joy and delight at the quality of AM kits when they first appeared... P-51s, SBDs, TBDs. Close contemporaries of LTD kits - which were nowhere near the curve!! Tam/Has/etc. all upped their game subsequently, albeit from a high starting point.

July 12th, 2012, 12:11 pm #5

As my Tamiya Il-2 arrived a few days ago, I dug out one of my stash of AM Il-2s. Brett's comparison of the 2 kits is right, the Tamiya one is more crisply moulded and finer detailed - BUT!! The amazing thing is just how good the AM kit still looks (first released 1997), and I suspect when the Tamiya kit is built and placed alongside an AM model, you'll have to look closely to tell them apart! In size, shape and detail the 2 kits are astonishingly similar (both right, or both equally wrong?!).
I look forward to building the new Tamiya kit (sometime soon.....), but suspect I might throw together another AM one at the same time. The AM instructions and colour details are vastly superior to the Tamiya ones, which are occasionally very confusing, and I always enjoyed the chatty, informative and very practical written instructions in the original AM kits!
Build either kit for a great model of the warplane built in the largest numbers ever....
Tricky fit, wonky engineering. I was never a fan of AM instructions either. I kind of felt the kit was similar to the creaky Tristar kits. They look good finished but were not fun or smooth to build.

July 12th, 2012, 1:24 pm #6

They hold up very well despite their vintage.

July 12th, 2012, 1:45 pm #7

...is superbly detailed, but a real pain to put together! The "secret" is to assemble everything WITHOUT glue first, to understand what sanding has to be done around the nose to make it go together.

Once this is done: The model is lovely! yes it is!

July 12th, 2012, 1:46 pm #8

OK 1997 for an oldie like me is yesterday, but I remember the joy and delight at the quality of AM kits when they first appeared... P-51s, SBDs, TBDs. Close contemporaries of LTD kits - which were nowhere near the curve!! Tam/Has/etc. all upped their game subsequently, albeit from a high starting point.
I had just gotten back into plastic modelling after the obligatory lapse in my 20's. Great times, with Ltd and similar limited run kits becoming big and at the same time there was a huge leap with AM and others coming on board. What had been started with the Trimaster kits in the late 80's came to full flower at that time. Tamiya and Hasegawa brought in a whole generation of kits at that time too.

I remember well!

Chris

PS: I agree with your assessment of the two Il2 kits available these days. Improved yes, but a quantum leap, no. When Tamiya brings out some other versions such as a straight wing two seater or a single seater, then I will consider the AM kit truly superseded!

July 12th, 2012, 1:51 pm #9

The cowling on the Trimaster/DML kits made the kit unbuildable. If I had known that , I would never have uilt the numerous 190s and IL-2 that I built. Guess I'll have to toss them, as they should not have been able to have been built.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

July 12th, 2012, 2:06 pm #10

...it's royally screwed on the AccMin kit.  One of those things that I can't unsee, and it ruins the look of the kit for me.  Plus the issues with the spinner and nose.  And it's a bear to build.  Everybody seems to have one in the stash, but very few ever build them...  Hmmm...  I think we'll see more BUILT Tamiya Il-2's than AM's...  As always, YMMV...