IEHGB

IEHGB

January 13th, 2018, 9:36 am #1

Just ebay-ed this

There is a piece in JG Ballard's Empire of the sun where Jim sees Brewsters on the tarmac at Lunghua airbase with the markings painted out. Empire of the Sun is semi-fictional based on Ballard's experiences as a prisoner of the Japanese in China - I'm assuming that he did see these planes. I want to build this as described in the book (a fantastic read BTW) - recently captured, so not with the hanamuras applied. Would these have been Nationalist, RAF (as far as I can tell RAF had buffaloes in Singapore) or USAAF planes?

January 13th, 2018, 1:34 pm #2

Odds are they're RAF from Singapore or Malaysia. n/t
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

January 13th, 2018, 5:02 pm #3

Just ebay-ed this

There is a piece in JG Ballard's Empire of the sun where Jim sees Brewsters on the tarmac at Lunghua airbase with the markings painted out. Empire of the Sun is semi-fictional based on Ballard's experiences as a prisoner of the Japanese in China - I'm assuming that he did see these planes. I want to build this as described in the book (a fantastic read BTW) - recently captured, so not with the hanamuras applied. Would these have been Nationalist, RAF (as far as I can tell RAF had buffaloes in Singapore) or USAAF planes?
They would have been in RAF* markings. The Nationalists never got the ones proposed, and the USAAF only got them after the retreat to Australia. There were Dutch Brewsters but they had been withdrawn to the NEI.

I'm just surprised to hear that the markings had been painted out. I wonder if this might mean there were no squadron markings (the Buffaloes came from the factory with RAF national markings already applied) and the aircraft seen might have been some of the spares never issued to units.

* Yes, I realize there were RAAF and RNZAF units involved. But the markings were RAF standard.