ID this ejetion seat

January 31st, 2012, 3:09 pm #1

Hallo

Can anybody ID this seat for me

I don't think it looks like the early Northrop seat that the
Iranian F-5E are flying with

Tia

Bo
Last edited by bohermansen on January 31st, 2012, 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 31st, 2012, 5:12 pm #2

seats.
I just cannot remember which Martin Bakers they switched to.
I found something on the net that say a MB Mk 10 seat.

But note there are unique versions of the MB Mk 10 as there are for all other MB seat marks. The Mk 10 nomenclature only denotes seat technology incorporated in it not the overall seat frame appearance

If no one else pipes in I can look it up when I get home.

Scotty B
Last edited by mrcockpit on January 31st, 2012, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 31st, 2012, 7:03 pm #3

Hallo

Tia

Bo
Hope this helps

Scotty B

February 1st, 2012, 5:34 pm #4

Hallo

Tia

Bo
Iranian F-5E and F5-F were delivered with the MB IRQ-7A seat. Note the lack of a face curtain, and the shape of the parachute pack/headrest.

If you are building an Iran/Iraq war F-5E then this is the right seat. The MK-10 seat may have been used later, but this is the one in your picture.

This MB seat was also used in the Greek ( HRQ-7a ) and Brazilian ( BRQ-7A ) F-5E's which differed in harness and other minor details.

For the AFV Club F-5, the Aires seat for the F-104G can be modified. You'll need to ditch the supplied p.e. harness and face curtain handle,re-shape the headrest, relocate the bale out O2 bottle, and taper the bottom of the seat so it will sit right in the cockpit. The Iranian F-5F also had a strange structure added to the top of the front seat - I assume to support an instrument training hood. I have a number of pics saved of that and will post later if asked.

( Note - this is the unmodified Aires seat )

Note that the IRQ-7A seat was equipped with a USAF-style harness: Male Koch fittings for the parachute risers, a lap belt with male/female Koch, and a small belt to attach the seat pan/raft.

The Iranian F-5 pilots wore a USAF-style 60's era torso harness with shoulder female Koch fittings and no lap fittings.

USN seats of that era had female Koch fittings shoulder and lap and the MA-2 torso harness had male fittings shoulder and lap. We usually had the survival equipment ratings ( parachute riggers for those oldies like me) cut away the majority of the webbing leaving the naked harness - cooler and more comfortable.

Last edited by mooser2 on February 1st, 2012, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 1st, 2012, 8:28 pm #5

for trying to respond when I don't have my references.

You actually have better stuff than I do on this seat.
Me right clicking away..... click click click.

The Mk 10 seat has been installed in later F-5's, but I do not know the Air force users (i.e country). There is a very good chance that Iran did not get them though.

Scotty B

February 2nd, 2012, 1:07 am #6

No problem.

A 500 page book could be written on all the seats built by MB.

The Mk.7 alone has many variants which do not look at all similar to each other.

The IR10LF was for IRAQI F-5's - but the Mk.10 was retroed to many acft using the Mk.7 seat. If you google F-5 and the -10 seat you'll get an image and some data on the -10 seat being fitted to an Iranian F-5 ( which looks like an F-5A to me ). Iran is quite capable of fitting seats from one type to another and adapting or making their own parts to do so.

Every clear picture I've seen on the many pages of http://www.irandefence.net seems to show the -7 seat in F-5's - with variances in the headrest shape.

http://www.martin-baker.com/products/Ej ... Mk--7.aspx

http://www.martin-baker.com/products/Ej ... k--10.aspx

February 3rd, 2012, 5:01 pm #7

for trying to respond when I don't have my references.

You actually have better stuff than I do on this seat.
Me right clicking away..... click click click.

The Mk 10 seat has been installed in later F-5's, but I do not know the Air force users (i.e country). There is a very good chance that Iran did not get them though.

Scotty B
I note that the MB site shows the -10 seat as having been fitted to the "Iraq" F-5. I'm unable to find ANY confirmation the Iraq ever operated the F-5, so I assume that this is a typo - should be Iran - on the MB site.

This link:

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/coun ... ctions.htm

Has a picture of an F-5A with what is claimed to be a -10 seat ?? It does appear NOT to be a -7, but the pic is to grainy to tell.

February 4th, 2012, 3:54 pm #8

Hallo

The picture of F-5A "01380" show it to have a early Northrop seat

Bo

February 4th, 2012, 5:26 pm #9

Not a Northrop seat, not a -7, might be a -10 - too grainy to tell. Pretty sure it's an F-5A - perhaps these were re-equipped with the -10.

February 4th, 2012, 5:29 pm #10

in it.

Scotty B