ICM Spitfires…

ICM Spitfires…

July 19th, 2012, 2:34 pm #1

I'm considering taking the plunge on one of the ICM SPitfire Ixs. Do ICM Spit 9 variants have the clipped wingtips and the extended wingtips included? Or do I need to get the LF.9 kit to get the clipped wings?

TIA

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

July 19th, 2012, 2:40 pm #2

I checked a few of my ICM Spit nine kits and they all have the option of different wing tips., eg, HF, LF, and standard. I would bet that all of the Spit nine kits are the same, as far as muliple wing tip options.

July 19th, 2012, 2:45 pm #3

I'm considering taking the plunge on one of the ICM SPitfire Ixs. Do ICM Spit 9 variants have the clipped wingtips and the extended wingtips included? Or do I need to get the LF.9 kit to get the clipped wings?

TIA

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"In this modern world of ours that spins as fast as these propellers do, if a man can cook, or fly, or play the guitar, he will be happy and never go hungry." "Where's Joe Merchant" Jimmy Buffet ©1992
IIRC it comes with the various tips. I can check when I get home. The box comes with quite a few parts for the various Mk. IX variants.

LF, HF actually did not designate wing tips, but rather if the engine was optimized for low altitude, high altitude work, etc. The wing tips could be changed out at the unit level.

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

July 19th, 2012, 2:55 pm #4

Thanks, Jon, I know that bit, it's just easier (for me) to remember based on the wingtip structure.
Weren't early clipped-wing Mk.Vs described as "Clipped, Clapped & Cropped" (Clipped wingtips, worn out airframes and cropped impeller blades on the supercharger)?

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

Last edited by Don McIntyre on July 19th, 2012, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

July 19th, 2012, 2:57 pm #5

TIA

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

A lot of replacement or additional parts for the ICM line.

http://www.ultracast.ca/

Excellent product, excellent service. No tiny thumbnail photos on the site, you can actually see what you're buying, nor does UC need to ask friends to express gratitude on HS for the resin. The product speaks for itself.

Whether the spitfire parts are necessary, that's between you & your wallet. There were issues with the early ICM releases that made many of these items necessary but I believe those issues were solved eons ago--the two kits in my stash are fine. There were articles and plenty of threads here on HS about what needed fixing and what parts helped.

No connection to UC, just a ton of paid for resin in the kit boxes!

Last edited by K.Ingraham on July 20th, 2012, 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 19th, 2012, 3:22 pm #6

TIA

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

nt

July 19th, 2012, 3:25 pm #7

TIA

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

- Cement the upper wing halves to the fuselage mounting points, instead of building the entire wing assembly then attempting to fit it.

- Build the lower cowling assembly and cement it to the lower wing FIRST before adding the lower wing.

Doing the above allows you to fiddle with the fit more effectively, and minimize wingroot seams entirely- no putty required if you're careful and take your time. Cement one wing, let dry, then the other, let dry, THEN cement the lower cowling to the engine side panels (if you're building it closed-up).

- When you get all that together, cement the circular prop backing bulkhead to the assembly.

- Cement the exhausts to the engine side panels before adding the upper cowling.

Doing all of the above will allow you to work the fit and alignment very well. Also, Kevin's right about the Ultracast stuff- three things you should consider are the prop, wheels, and seat.

Good luck, enjoy the build!

Lynn

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner

July 19th, 2012, 4:08 pm #8

TIA

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

Thank you for the info & tips, Gents. n/t
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

July 19th, 2012, 7:50 pm #9

- Cement the upper wing halves to the fuselage mounting points, instead of building the entire wing assembly then attempting to fit it.

- Build the lower cowling assembly and cement it to the lower wing FIRST before adding the lower wing.

Doing the above allows you to fiddle with the fit more effectively, and minimize wingroot seams entirely- no putty required if you're careful and take your time. Cement one wing, let dry, then the other, let dry, THEN cement the lower cowling to the engine side panels (if you're building it closed-up).

- When you get all that together, cement the circular prop backing bulkhead to the assembly.

- Cement the exhausts to the engine side panels before adding the upper cowling.

Doing all of the above will allow you to work the fit and alignment very well. Also, Kevin's right about the Ultracast stuff- three things you should consider are the prop, wheels, and seat.

Good luck, enjoy the build!

Lynn

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner
Don,

Here's a review of one of the Mk. IX versions showing the wing tips options:http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/ ... 8077.shtml

Lynn - I have the kit in this review; if I was going to use the build it with the engine, but without it showing, will the outer panels still fit over the engine? Or, if the exhaust stubs can be mounted without the engine, should I just build it without the engine?

Finally, could you please clarify further what you mean by "Build the lower cowling assembly and cement it to the lower wing FIRST before adding the lower wing."; are "cementing" and "adding" the lower wing two separate things?

Thanks,
Rick

July 19th, 2012, 8:14 pm #10