I went all old school....

I went all old school....

April 28th, 2012, 5:03 am #1

So in March I bought a Springfield XD45 4"....very nice polymer pistol. Flawless reviews...Fun to shoot...but the times I have taken it out the OVERALL impression was "meh....."

I like this pistol and I really wanted to LOVE this pistol...but alas - my heart has been stolen by a German.

I traded the XD for a Sig Sauer P6. This is an ex-West German Pistol and its' a Sig MADE IN GERMANY. It is in stunning condition!!! It came with (5) mags and night sights installed after the fact. it is ALL metal... The civvy version is the Sig Sauer P225.

I field stripped and cleaned, and oiled, and made as much pistol love as I could to it. The slide rails and frame rails look immaculate and it is easy to see it has seen very little active duty time (if any - surplus guns...) and little range time after that. It is simply amazing and feels perfect in my hand. I ordered a Sig Spring Replacement Set ($22) to replace all the springs with and ordered a short trigger from Top Gun Supply.

It also has the sought after VFHTF Pachmayer grips too!

I had planned on getting the slide and frame Duracoated or Ceramacoated...but I think not after some consideration. The frame is a solid 9/10 and the slide is a 7 /10 with light holster wear and I think I like it that way! Talk about character!

Nice DA/SA pistol - comes with a "Glock Safety" (keep your finger OFF the trigger ) and just a decocker that drops it into DA mode with a crisp break after an admittedly long and heavy DA pull.

I love my pistol!
Last edited by mooser1 on April 28th, 2012, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 28th, 2012, 6:41 am #2

Lots mo' better workmanship and it'll hold its' value longer/better. Especially the version you snagged.

Me? I gotta Kimber CDP in .45 and Beretta 92 in 9mm. (among others). The only way I'd part with the Kimber is for a better (upgraded) Kimber.

Old school? If I could throw some money around foolishly, I'm thinkin' I'd like one of them new Remington R1 .45's. Just because.

Oh..and while were at it - toss in an M1A. I never said Springfield was ALL bad.

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

April 28th, 2012, 2:54 pm #3

So in March I bought a Springfield XD45 4"....very nice polymer pistol. Flawless reviews...Fun to shoot...but the times I have taken it out the OVERALL impression was "meh....."

I like this pistol and I really wanted to LOVE this pistol...but alas - my heart has been stolen by a German.

I traded the XD for a Sig Sauer P6. This is an ex-West German Pistol and its' a Sig MADE IN GERMANY. It is in stunning condition!!! It came with (5) mags and night sights installed after the fact. it is ALL metal... The civvy version is the Sig Sauer P225.

I field stripped and cleaned, and oiled, and made as much pistol love as I could to it. The slide rails and frame rails look immaculate and it is easy to see it has seen very little active duty time (if any - surplus guns...) and little range time after that. It is simply amazing and feels perfect in my hand. I ordered a Sig Spring Replacement Set ($22) to replace all the springs with and ordered a short trigger from Top Gun Supply.

I had planned on getting the slide and frame Duracoated or Ceramacoated...but I think not after some consideration. The frame is a solid 9/10 and the slide is a 7 /10 with light holster wear and I think I like it that way! Talk about character!

Nice DA/SA pistol - comes with a "Glock Safety" (keep your finger OFF the trigger ) and just a decocker that drops it into DA mode with a crisp break after an admittedly long and heavy DA pull.

I love my pistol!
;LKJ;

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

April 28th, 2012, 5:43 pm #4

I love my pistol!

My latest CZ-75B, 9mm here waiting for a set of Hogue Grips to come in (still waiting,^%$# UPS driver!!)

Now...this is getting old school

Current collection of CZ-75Bs..."need" a Stainless one and a BD (decocker model) to complete the herd. Only "non" shooter in the bunch is a 1996 made one with a VERY early serial number on it...lets say don't count past 30 or you'll miss it

While we're talking old school...

Ok...I got 1 Sig here..P226 9mm....I shoot the CZ's and HP's more for 9mm

April 28th, 2012, 7:48 pm #5

I love my pistol!
I packed a (now)50 year old Browning Hi-Power, when I was a Deputy Sheriff. I still pack it now. It is box-stock old school. I also carried a Colt Trooper Mk. III. I also have a old Smith & Wesson Model 10 Military and police snub-nose that I use for a hide gun.I keep them clean and they both function as well now as when I first got them. All of the new toys out there are cool. I am, however, more comfortable with the reliable old-time hardware that I am familiar with. I bought a Model 629 Smith & Wesson(6", nickel, .44 Mag.) for fun, but it costs too much to shoot often. The price of reloading components is getting more expensive by the day. Some days it is difficult to find what you want, due to short supplies. I just felt like putting my two cents worth in. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

April 29th, 2012, 1:20 am #6

I love my pistol!
My only 9mms are a Browning P-35, a S&W 59-2, S&W 5906, and two WWII P.38s (one of which spends most of its time as a dedicated .22LR).

I still to this day haven't seen any 9mm I like any better than the third generation S&Ws. What a shame they stopped making them in favor of yet more combat tupperware.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

April 29th, 2012, 3:22 am #7

If I can't carry my HP its my next choice, handles just like a Hi Power

That one in the first picture is the 1st one I've ever bought with a "US" style mag drop, all the rest have European style mag brakes ...not sure about that yet.

Still need to hit the range with it....rained all day today

April 29th, 2012, 7:15 pm #8

Which is a shame, becasue I really want to like them. But the DA trigger "reach" is just too long for my hand, and it's not as smooth as my Smith 5906, either.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

April 29th, 2012, 8:44 pm #9

Tell the truth trigger on my EAA Witness Classic is nicer but those are scare now, EAA has been importing mainly the large frame versions the past few years..

April 30th, 2012, 2:42 pm #10

I love my pistol!
.38 Diamondback (you love your first the most)
4" bbl Python (buddy in the Air Force was short on funds)
S&W Model 39 (it was new school in 1974)
.45 Colt Combat Commander in satin nickel (just because I wanted a .45)
S&W Model 60 (because all the cool cops carried them and the .45 was heavy)
.380 Walther PPK in stainless steel
I'd like something more modern but I haven't worn out the ones I've got.

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.