I've me too problems with Roden lozenge decals...

I've me too problems with Roden lozenge decals...

November 1st, 2011, 9:07 pm #1

They don't want to stick, they're thick and don't react to setting solutions.
Too bad... My only solution was to place an order at Hannants for some Techmod sheets. I hope they will be nice and arrive soon .

November 1st, 2011, 11:22 pm #2

I got a few Roden kits in the stash myself

Maybe you can try decal film Laurent, I bought this one or two years ago, and so far whenever I needed it, it worked great

Example : I used them on the cracked decals for my Beaufighter - and didn't have any problems

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2) - Part V (incl. Dutch Nationals 2011 show report)
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

November 2nd, 2011, 4:35 am #3

Too bad... My only solution was to place an order at Hannants for some Techmod sheets. I hope they will be nice and arrive soon .
I bought a brand new Albatros W.4 (late). It is a beautiful model. BUT, the lozenge decals went to hell as soon as I laid them on the model. I had to use artistic license and paint Dark Sea Blue Gray where the lozenge fabric should have been. These were not old decals at all. Adios, Larry.

Dan Smith
Dan Smith

November 2nd, 2011, 5:15 am #4

The decals in my Felixstowe didn't snuggle down really well but they didn't break into a million pieces either. I was quite pleased with those. My Staaken lozenge won't work though since they were fused to the protective packaging. My Siemens Schukert D-III decals were nice...even the lozenge worked well.

Maybe Roden has done better with the newer decals. I guess I'll just have to buy a DH-4 or Sopwith Triplane to check!

Bummer.

November 2nd, 2011, 1:04 pm #5

I am asking because I do have some Roden models I am considering to build and would like to be prepared. Even planned on committing the "spares" from Roden sheets to other, less lucky (and older) kits...

Got the Agama set and the Gunze liquids so far, any other suggestions?

Peter

November 2nd, 2011, 1:20 pm #6

I got a few Roden kits in the stash myself

Maybe you can try decal film Laurent, I bought this one or two years ago, and so far whenever I needed it, it worked great

Example : I used them on the cracked decals for my Beaufighter - and didn't have any problems

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2) - Part V (incl. Dutch Nationals 2011 show report)
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
As i was concerned about their "brittle" look, i've coated the sheet with future.
The main problem i think with these decals is they're already really thick and a layer of microscale film wouldn't have help much.
Secondly, they don't react with micro set and micro sol. They still look like an heavy sticker....
But i think my kit is an early one, so maybe laters are betters.

November 2nd, 2011, 1:25 pm #7

I am asking because I do have some Roden models I am considering to build and would like to be prepared. Even planned on committing the "spares" from Roden sheets to other, less lucky (and older) kits...

Got the Agama set and the Gunze liquids so far, any other suggestions?

Peter
i first airbrushed the decal sheet with future,
i've applied the lozenge on the wheel's wing, add micro set.
After an hour i came back with micro sol, and again, and again...
only to find they are still very brittle, haven't conformed to the surface, and can be lifted with my fingernail...
Maybe a more powerful setting product could help, i don't know...

November 2nd, 2011, 1:34 pm #8

As i've coated the decal sheet with future, maybe it work as a barrier against setting products...
I'm asking about that on plane talking...

November 2nd, 2011, 3:31 pm #9

Confirmation: it's my fault, never coat a decal sheet with future!

November 2nd, 2011, 5:22 pm #10

I have built several Roden kits and I actually like their decals. I do coat them with microsol decal solution. One very thin coat. Apply them on a very gloss surface. If you need to move them, make sure they are flooded with water! I like them because they are very thin but this is what makes them tear so easily. Tim