I think I may finally be done with Squadron Mail order

I think I may finally be done with Squadron Mail order

April 17th, 2012, 4:47 pm #1

At least ordering squadron products, I have been using their or trying to use their vacuform canopies for my FW-190D bulds since the Eduard part for the blown canopy is not quite "blown" enough. Te last one I ordered was damaged, crushed in packaging since it was packed wron. Ok they sent a replacement, it had a big molding flaw in it, finally I got a good one. So silly me I decided to get another one, it came taped to the bottom of the Tamiya primer rattle can I ordered, yep a big wrinkle from the corner of the can. Now Squadron will send me a new one if I return the old one, but seriously by the time it comes I will be done and waiting, plus I have to send it back on my own dime, no return label. I am dissapointed I know if I talked to the person that helped me last time I might get better service, but really will I just get another damaged part.....ok rant done. Anyone know where I can get a blown hood for a 190D without buying a whole kit? Well the Eduard one isn't that bad I suppose,
Rob

April 17th, 2012, 5:09 pm #2

Rob, I had a similar experience recently with a Squadron canopy. Since the other item I had ordered was flat (a magazine or decal) they just stuffed the canopy set in with them in a flat package and they were crushed. It was a 1/72 set of two canopies for an F6F. I knew they would send replacements, but, like you, I had the kit finished and would have to wait.
So I decided to try something. I heated up a pan of water just short of boiling and dipped the canopies for a few seconds using tweezers. Both canopies came back to their original form. One still showed a slight crease which wouldn't come out, but the other looked perfect. I was able to complete the kit.
You might give it a try. Just might work.

Roy Mc

April 17th, 2012, 5:35 pm #3

I will give it a shot!
Rob

April 17th, 2012, 6:21 pm #4

At least ordering squadron products, I have been using their or trying to use their vacuform canopies for my FW-190D bulds since the Eduard part for the blown canopy is not quite "blown" enough. Te last one I ordered was damaged, crushed in packaging since it was packed wron. Ok they sent a replacement, it had a big molding flaw in it, finally I got a good one. So silly me I decided to get another one, it came taped to the bottom of the Tamiya primer rattle can I ordered, yep a big wrinkle from the corner of the can. Now Squadron will send me a new one if I return the old one, but seriously by the time it comes I will be done and waiting, plus I have to send it back on my own dime, no return label. I am dissapointed I know if I talked to the person that helped me last time I might get better service, but really will I just get another damaged part.....ok rant done. Anyone know where I can get a blown hood for a 190D without buying a whole kit? Well the Eduard one isn't that bad I suppose,
Rob
I too have had problems with damaged goods but not canopies shipped from Squadron. It seems to me that whomever is picking the shipment and packaging it needs to wrap the canopies in THICK bubble wrap before it is sent out packaged with other items. If you ask them to do it that way and they refuse or try to put you off then cancel the order. By the way, I found out that the majority of the vacuum canopies are not corrected, just exact copies of the kit canopy, so beware if you think you will get a corrected canopy. Where I have seen the most damage is from poorly packaged items sent by ebay sellers. Most do a good to really great job, then some try to cut corners and ship things on the cheap, case in point: I won a factory sealed Tamiya P-47 Razorback on ebay and it was just sent in a box with no packing, which meant the kit rattled around in the box and was damaged.Even though the kit was cheaper through the seller than the shop even with shipping, a dinged up box and kit parts takes the discount away. Worst yet, I sent for some resin seats, they were stuck in a small bubble envelope, when I opened up the package I just had a little baggie partially filled with 15.00 worth of resin dust. So caveat emptor.
Cheers

April 17th, 2012, 6:47 pm #5

Rob, I had a similar experience recently with a Squadron canopy. Since the other item I had ordered was flat (a magazine or decal) they just stuffed the canopy set in with them in a flat package and they were crushed. It was a 1/72 set of two canopies for an F6F. I knew they would send replacements, but, like you, I had the kit finished and would have to wait.
So I decided to try something. I heated up a pan of water just short of boiling and dipped the canopies for a few seconds using tweezers. Both canopies came back to their original form. One still showed a slight crease which wouldn't come out, but the other looked perfect. I was able to complete the kit.
You might give it a try. Just might work.

Roy Mc
See how long it takes to get a usable one...

Blows my mind that they can't figure out how to supply their own products in undamaged condition.

I had a blown hood I would give to you, but it was dented so I threw it away.

April 17th, 2012, 6:50 pm #6

Rob
nt

April 17th, 2012, 6:51 pm #7

I too have had problems with damaged goods but not canopies shipped from Squadron. It seems to me that whomever is picking the shipment and packaging it needs to wrap the canopies in THICK bubble wrap before it is sent out packaged with other items. If you ask them to do it that way and they refuse or try to put you off then cancel the order. By the way, I found out that the majority of the vacuum canopies are not corrected, just exact copies of the kit canopy, so beware if you think you will get a corrected canopy. Where I have seen the most damage is from poorly packaged items sent by ebay sellers. Most do a good to really great job, then some try to cut corners and ship things on the cheap, case in point: I won a factory sealed Tamiya P-47 Razorback on ebay and it was just sent in a box with no packing, which meant the kit rattled around in the box and was damaged.Even though the kit was cheaper through the seller than the shop even with shipping, a dinged up box and kit parts takes the discount away. Worst yet, I sent for some resin seats, they were stuck in a small bubble envelope, when I opened up the package I just had a little baggie partially filled with 15.00 worth of resin dust. So caveat emptor.
Cheers
The last kit I won two weeks ago was wrapped in paper and crushed. This has happened to me now at leats three times. Fortunately the kit was okay but since I am a collector of kits more than anything. I would like a box, especially if I am paying 10 bucks plus for shipping!

Cheers,

Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

April 17th, 2012, 6:55 pm #8

Blows my mind that they can't figure out how to supply their own products in undamaged condition.

I know the one that I got last time that was good was bubble wrapped and in a small box good to go, but that was fter I sent pictures and spent a chunk of time emailing back and forth. Now in fairness they were helpful and receptive to ideas, I guess they just didn't follow any advice!
Rob

April 17th, 2012, 6:56 pm #9

any time I order anything vacuformed it comes squashed. Even a kit like like MPM that has a vac canopy in the box - comes squashed.

April 17th, 2012, 7:12 pm #10

nt
everything was perfect, nothing damaged at all.

Roy