I think I found the Serial No. for the Sahara P-40. . .

I think I found the Serial No. for the Sahara P-40. . .

April 24th, 2012, 7:43 pm #1

The Sahara P-40 appears to be a No. 260 Sqdn aircraft (possibly HS-B). If it is HS-B then it is Serial No. FR350. Is this our crashed P-40?

HS-B was flown by James "Stocky" Edwards, the leading Ace for No. 260 Sqdn. As far as I know, Col. Edwards is still alive and living in Canada. If any of our Canadian HS community knows Col. Edwards and can bring this plane to his attention, he may be able to shed some more light on it and who was at the controls when it was lost.

Here is a B&W photo of a sister aircraft also crashed (HS-A):

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
It is better to be the Stomper rather than the Stompee!

April 24th, 2012, 7:48 pm #2

The aircraft in question has a "standard" vertical stabiliser.

Or did I miss something in your post?

April 24th, 2012, 7:49 pm #3

The Sahara P-40 appears to be a No. 260 Sqdn aircraft (possibly HS-B). If it is HS-B then it is Serial No. FR350. Is this our crashed P-40?

HS-B was flown by James "Stocky" Edwards, the leading Ace for No. 260 Sqdn. As far as I know, Col. Edwards is still alive and living in Canada. If any of our Canadian HS community knows Col. Edwards and can bring this plane to his attention, he may be able to shed some more light on it and who was at the controls when it was lost.

This is what it would have looked like before the crash:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/m ... t%3B+photo.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming
Last edited by modeldad on April 24th, 2012, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2012, 7:50 pm #4

The aircraft in question has a "standard" vertical stabiliser.

Or did I miss something in your post?
But HS-B is a 260 Sqdn code, so if the Sahara P-40E is indeed HS-B then it should be relatively easy to find it's serial number.

April 24th, 2012, 7:54 pm #5

FR350 went from 450 to 260 Sq to 112 Sq then to 5 SAAF ending up on 2 SAAF for a month , It was SOC 8th March 44

April 24th, 2012, 7:56 pm #6

But HS-B is a 260 Sqdn code, so if the Sahara P-40E is indeed HS-B then it should be relatively easy to find it's serial number.

April 24th, 2012, 7:56 pm #7

This is what it would have looked like before the crash:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/m ... t%3B+photo.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
Or AL or ET serial ranges n/t

April 24th, 2012, 8:00 pm #8

Also the IWM caption indicates that only 9 A-3s Kittyhawk I, were around.

BUY THIS BOOK

April 24th, 2012, 8:07 pm #9

So far as I'm aware L-L Kittyhawks were both A3 and A4 n/t

April 24th, 2012, 8:09 pm #10

To bad the serial no. is not visible in that photo. In any event, my question to Canadian HS community still stands. Does anyone know Col. Edwards and can they speak to him about the Sahara P-40?