I the spirit of Serge's post below...WHO has inspired you in your model building?

I the spirit of Serge's post below...WHO has inspired you in your model building?

August 11th, 2017, 9:50 pm #1

I think many of us who are on Serge's list made it because we may tend to be a bit more prolific and/or post more than some others. At least, I think that's how I was in his mind and made the list.

But that made me think... WHO has influenced your building, who's work have you admired, and who'd made the hobby more enjoyable for you? And, I don't mean just here on Hyperscale, but over the years and from anywhere.

For me, the first influence was Jordan Ross, of Scale Modeler fame. After that there were many IPMS members I met at shows and in clubs over the years such as Barry Numerick, Bob Steinbrun, Bill Bosworth, John Ficklin, Ken Belisle, Richard Van Zant, Jon Bius, and Larry Goodell. It's not that I could ever build to their levels, but seeing their work is always inspiring.

There are many more I could list, but those were the names that immediately popped into my mind.

I'm not trying to turn this into a "fan fest" but I do want to acknowledge some of the people who've made model building more fun for me!

August 12th, 2017, 12:00 am #2

when I say Shep Paine is probably my #1 modeling influence! His dioramas and the flyers included with those Monogram kits from back in the day, really ade me see model building in a completely different light.

Francois Verlinden was also an inspiration and influence.

My uncle Jack, who purchased some of my early kits for me and then inspired me by building a Revell Sea Witch ship model, that was fully rigged and had cloth sails, along with a copper foil covered hull (years before Bare Metal foil was even heard of)! That model graced the mantle in our home for many years.

Rick
Last edited by madmanrick60 on August 12th, 2017, 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2017, 12:37 am #3

I think many of us who are on Serge's list made it because we may tend to be a bit more prolific and/or post more than some others. At least, I think that's how I was in his mind and made the list.

But that made me think... WHO has influenced your building, who's work have you admired, and who'd made the hobby more enjoyable for you? And, I don't mean just here on Hyperscale, but over the years and from anywhere.

For me, the first influence was Jordan Ross, of Scale Modeler fame. After that there were many IPMS members I met at shows and in clubs over the years such as Barry Numerick, Bob Steinbrun, Bill Bosworth, John Ficklin, Ken Belisle, Richard Van Zant, Jon Bius, and Larry Goodell. It's not that I could ever build to their levels, but seeing their work is always inspiring.

There are many more I could list, but those were the names that immediately popped into my mind.

I'm not trying to turn this into a "fan fest" but I do want to acknowledge some of the people who've made model building more fun for me!
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/park.htm

- RIP

August 12th, 2017, 1:03 am #4

Mr. Rimell's work got me hooked on WW1 and vacs back in the 80s, I enjoy Mr. Boyer's style, and Russ always picks great subjects and finishes them perfectly with a brush.

August 12th, 2017, 1:29 am #5

Nt

August 12th, 2017, 2:26 am #6

when I say Shep Paine is probably my #1 modeling influence! His dioramas and the flyers included with those Monogram kits from back in the day, really ade me see model building in a completely different light.

My uncle Jack, who purchased some of my early kits for me and then inspired me by building a Revell Sea Witch ship model, that was fully rigged and had cloth sails, along with a copper foil covered hull (years before Bare Metal foil was even heard of)! That model graced the mantle in our home for many years.

Rick
Yes, Shep Paine and the diorama sheets inspired me at age 12 until now!!

August 12th, 2017, 2:48 am #7

my next door neighbor Robert Weidenheimer. Bob was a retired USAAF/USAF MSgt and had been building models since the early 1950s. After finishing each kit he hung it up from the ceiling of his second floor study.

Not long after our family moved in next door I discovered Bob's back room. Countless times I would venture up to the room and spend hours looking up at all the airplanes. I got the itch to start building and in for Christmas 1965 my uncle gave me a 1/72 Revell Hawker Hurricane and Me-109. Bob, in the meantime would continue humming along building one model after another and adding them to his aerial circus to the point he almost ran out of room.

Shortly before passing away Bob and his wife Florence graciously allowed me to select any of the models suspended from the ceiling. I specifically chose those airplanes I recalled seeing during the time I resided next door in the 1960s. Today these very models are hanging from the ceiling in my den, complete with the original hooks, string, and dust from Bob's house! And yes, I still look up at them just like I did years ago. But these days I'm thanking Bob for introducing me to model building and hoping he's looking down and happy seeing his models continue receiving the attention they always deserved.
Last edited by mfe59 on August 12th, 2017, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2017, 3:41 am #8

just sayin'!

August 12th, 2017, 3:59 am #9

Rick
Me too on Shep. I was the kid that tried to copy each of his dios from the tips sheets. Even went to the train store to try to find some 'gizmo' parts that I could use on the engine handing from the stand. I should dig out those old photos and post them. I figured if I could copy his attention to detail then I could move forward from there.

I would bet if Revell or Zukei did something similar today it would spark something in the current younger generation.

Buffie

August 12th, 2017, 4:39 am #10

Not a moment's hesitation:

- Bob Steinbrunn and his magnificent FSM articles;
- Ken Belisle, whose works of art I would see regularly at an Orange Park, FL hobby shop when I was going through VS-27 in 19990-1991. They (and he) had a HUGE impact on my outlook and motivation.