I suffer Internet Withdrawal big time…

I suffer Internet Withdrawal big time…

March 31st, 2012, 1:43 am #1

Yes, I am still alive, writing this on my mother's computer.

Lost my internet connection on February 4th when the phone/television/internet cable modem was replaced after my wife complained about telephone problems. My computer is old enough for its network card to not recognize the new modem. No sweat, just return my old modem -- the one that worked flawlessly for seven years. "Sorry, we throw them away. Just get another computer." Oh, the phone problems continued for weeks later in our area and were not related to our previous hardware at all! I will get things right before too long, I hope.

Now you know why I havent been able to praise works presented here and why any email to me gets kicked back. I truly miss visiting this site on a daily basis!

Cordially,
Bruce Blackwelder

March 31st, 2012, 2:06 am #2

Hey Bruce you ISP is blowing smoke if saying your nic to old...bottom line an ethernet connection would be downward compatible...
Is you connecttor an rj45 (its looks like a big phone jack)

what ever the issue a simple thing is to buy you own firewall router to bridge your pc to the cable/dsl modem

You would connnect to you pc to the firewall router lan ports,

And the firewall router wan port to the cable/dsl modem

The firewall router would "bridge" the older slower lan port of your pc with the faster wan port of the cable/dsl modem

Trust me im a network engineer, your isp is full of bs

your ps card is probably 10 Mbit/s half dup ....the modem should auto negotiate speed and duplex down to match you...

but it should also be able to be hard set to match your pc

The modem is likely auto negotiate off and hard set wrong...easy fix for the isp but to lazy or stupit to do....

get your own firewall router then you can control it...it should auto negotiate speed and duplex for both sides
Last edited by humebates on March 31st, 2012, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 31st, 2012, 2:09 am #3

Lost my internet connection on February 4th when the phone/television/internet cable modem was replaced after my wife complained about telephone problems. My computer is old enough for its network card to not recognize the new modem. No sweat, just return my old modem -- the one that worked flawlessly for seven years. "Sorry, we throw them away. Just get another computer." Oh, the phone problems continued for weeks later in our area and were not related to our previous hardware at all! I will get things right before too long, I hope.

Now you know why I havent been able to praise works presented here and why any email to me gets kicked back. I truly miss visiting this site on a daily basis!

Cordially,
Bruce Blackwelder
Maybe they can source a card to make it all work.

Or like the 'helpful' min wage customer service (service, hahahahaha) rep suggested, hell, just go and buy a new pc (you're swimming in spare cash) and toss the otherwise working pc out. The world needs more e-waste right?

March 31st, 2012, 2:18 am #4

Hey Bruce you ISP is blowing smoke if saying your nic to old...bottom line an ethernet connection would be downward compatible...
Is you connecttor an rj45 (its looks like a big phone jack)

what ever the issue a simple thing is to buy you own firewall router to bridge your pc to the cable/dsl modem

You would connnect to you pc to the firewall router lan ports,

And the firewall router wan port to the cable/dsl modem

The firewall router would "bridge" the older slower lan port of your pc with the faster wan port of the cable/dsl modem

Trust me im a network engineer, your isp is full of bs

your ps card is probably 10 Mbit/s half dup ....the modem should auto negotiate speed and duplex down to match you...

but it should also be able to be hard set to match your pc

The modem is likely auto negotiate off and hard set wrong...easy fix for the isp but to lazy or stupit to do....

get your own firewall router then you can control it...it should auto negotiate speed and duplex for both sides
I will give that a try. You will know when I start posting again.

Cordially,
Bruce

March 31st, 2012, 2:23 am #5

Or like the 'helpful' min wage customer service (service, hahahahaha) rep suggested, hell, just go and buy a new pc (you're swimming in spare cash) and toss the otherwise working pc out. The world needs more e-waste right?
I'll get her back online someday.

Cordially,
Bruce

March 31st, 2012, 2:31 am #6

I will give that a try. You will know when I start posting again.

Cordially,
Bruce
see update

March 31st, 2012, 10:08 pm #7

Cordially,
Bruce Blackwelder
are you running Windows XP? Vista? What kind of computer do you have. Let me do some checking for you on that issue. Sounds to me like your network card might be an old 10Mps card and the modem is set to 100. It should be set to auto-negotiate the speed settings. The speeds have to match or it will balk at you.

If you're running XP (or above) and your machine is a Pentium 4 (mine are) you should be fine. However if your network card is a 10Mbs card, run and get you a 10/100 for $15 at the local electronics box store. Remove the old car. Pop the new one in it's place. There's a CD that comes with the card if the computer asks for a driver disk. That should take care of the problem. Also, when you plug up the network cable from the computer to the Modem, shut down the computer and power off the Modem. Power the modem back on and let it come completely up ( no blinking lights, all steady on, takes 30 seconds or so) THEN power your computer up. That should take care of the problem.

Cheers,
Dave

April 1st, 2012, 4:18 am #8

... a cheaper solution... take your desktop to another location with the same ISP and hook it up... if it works, start screaming...

April 3rd, 2012, 1:00 am #9

Cordially,
Bruce Blackwelder
You will all know I'm up and running at home when I start posting music links like this again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_qsR2SGCE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nN5CnshorY

Bruce