I'm ready to outlaw cellphones....Seriously!

I'm ready to outlaw cellphones....Seriously!

February 2nd, 2012, 11:44 pm #1

Last Saturday on my way down Glenmore Avenue to the gym, here comes this kid (looked about 8 ot 9) just ambling along out from between the parked cars, cell phone glued to his ear, paying no attention to whatever in the world around him. I slam on the brakes (fortunately for him I still have good reflexes at 73) and he hears the brakes and looks up at me. I stop just short of creaming the little **** and open the window and ask him if he ever heard of looking before crossing the road. His answer is to flip me a "Rockefeller salute".
This afternoon I'm on my way to the grocery store, and here comes this chick in some kind of little silver gray sports car zipping out from one of the cross streets. One hand is on the wheel, cell phone in the other, completely ignoring the stop sign. Again I hit the brakes, fortunately I'm not going very fast and she slips just across in time. She keeps right on going up the cross street. I don't know if the ^% little dip even realised how close she came.
It really scares one to realise how many idiots there are out there trying for a Darwin Medal.

Rant mode off.

February 3rd, 2012, 12:03 am #2

stupidity out of people.

I'd slapped that phone out of that little pricks hands and run over it....

Cheers,
Dave

February 3rd, 2012, 12:09 am #3

Last Saturday on my way down Glenmore Avenue to the gym, here comes this kid (looked about 8 ot 9) just ambling along out from between the parked cars, cell phone glued to his ear, paying no attention to whatever in the world around him. I slam on the brakes (fortunately for him I still have good reflexes at 73) and he hears the brakes and looks up at me. I stop just short of creaming the little **** and open the window and ask him if he ever heard of looking before crossing the road. His answer is to flip me a "Rockefeller salute".
This afternoon I'm on my way to the grocery store, and here comes this chick in some kind of little silver gray sports car zipping out from one of the cross streets. One hand is on the wheel, cell phone in the other, completely ignoring the stop sign. Again I hit the brakes, fortunately I'm not going very fast and she slips just across in time. She keeps right on going up the cross street. I don't know if the ^% little dip even realised how close she came.
It really scares one to realise how many idiots there are out there trying for a Darwin Medal.

Rant mode off.
They won't be outlawed, nor restricted. If not already viewed as "a right!" it will be.

You should try dealing with these yakkers from a motorcyclist's viewpoint -- here she comes in her SUV bourgemobile, turning (one-handed) in front of you in a herky-jerky path. I never realized there was so much important stuff to discuss. Continuously. I pull alongside to pass them on the highway, 75+ mph, looking down to type their vital text messages...

These could be safely disabled with a software tweak. "911" would always be available, but once past, say 8 mph, they could disable themselves. Then maybe we'd see a return of two-handed driving. And I'm unconvinced the hands-free devices are any safer. Despite the blather about "multi-tasking," it turns out we really can do one thing at a time well. And since piloting these two-ton behemoths can involve someone NOT in the conversation, my vote is for them concentrating on driving...

Rant not yet off.

Gaze upon the cell-ers. They walk along, on a beautiful day, staring down at their palm. A hawk on a tree limb, or anything else passing by, unnoticed. How very small their world has become.

Rant now switched to "Off."

GRM

February 3rd, 2012, 12:37 am #4

Rant mode off.
I don't own a cell phone. I'll never own a cell phone. I've never made a call from a cell phone. I have no interest in paying to be tethered to an electronic leash.

As somebody with no "connection" to cell phones, I'm free to observe others use them in daily life.

I honestly feel these will have a long term and profoundly negative effect on the way people relate to each other.

Every single day, I pass through the largest mall in town where I see a wide cross section of people. What I see is a huge percentage of people who are "somewhere else". Everyday I see couples walking together with ONE of them talking on a cell phone while the other has a lost look oh his (or her) face. I see groups of teenage girls walking along with ALL of them on the phone to someone else. I saw a young father walking through the mall with three young boys pulling at his coat...and he was on the phone, completely oblivious to the boys with him.

Even in my own life, I've had multiple experiences where I will be with a friend and his cell phone will ring. This will invariably be followed by him saying, "Sorry, I HAVE to take this". At which point, I will be treated as persona non grata for the duration of his phone call. I've even had to tell friends quite directly that they shouldn't bring cell phones into my house.

The damage isn't something that we will see in the short term. You won't see a lot of divorces being attributed to cell phone use. This is a 10 and 20 year long problem of social disconnection. The idea of "spending time with friends and family" will become irrelevant since people can disconnect from the people they are physically with. Fathers can go to Little League games without actually having to watch their kids play baseball...they can sit in the stands sending texts or playing with various cell phone apps. The "shared experience" no longer has to be shared. People with cell phones can be physically with somebody without being mentally present.

Oh well. It's progress.

February 3rd, 2012, 1:04 am #5

I've made the same observations. Depressing, isn't it?

Cheers,

Scott

Scott Taylor
Thachweave Products
http://thachweave.tripod.com

February 3rd, 2012, 1:08 am #6

Rant mode off.
All valid points. I've seen at least ten cell users this week alone I'd love to strangle. I've talked on a cell phone, but have never sent nor received a text, and never will. They outlawed texting behind the wheel here in Michigan, but I still see people doin' it. When my car engine is ON, my phone is OFF. I am not an important person; there's no reason that people should need to get ahold of me NOW.

And God help those on motorcycles. Geez....

February 3rd, 2012, 1:10 am #7

I don't own a cell phone. I'll never own a cell phone. I've never made a call from a cell phone. I have no interest in paying to be tethered to an electronic leash.

As somebody with no "connection" to cell phones, I'm free to observe others use them in daily life.

I honestly feel these will have a long term and profoundly negative effect on the way people relate to each other.

Every single day, I pass through the largest mall in town where I see a wide cross section of people. What I see is a huge percentage of people who are "somewhere else". Everyday I see couples walking together with ONE of them talking on a cell phone while the other has a lost look oh his (or her) face. I see groups of teenage girls walking along with ALL of them on the phone to someone else. I saw a young father walking through the mall with three young boys pulling at his coat...and he was on the phone, completely oblivious to the boys with him.

Even in my own life, I've had multiple experiences where I will be with a friend and his cell phone will ring. This will invariably be followed by him saying, "Sorry, I HAVE to take this". At which point, I will be treated as persona non grata for the duration of his phone call. I've even had to tell friends quite directly that they shouldn't bring cell phones into my house.

The damage isn't something that we will see in the short term. You won't see a lot of divorces being attributed to cell phone use. This is a 10 and 20 year long problem of social disconnection. The idea of "spending time with friends and family" will become irrelevant since people can disconnect from the people they are physically with. Fathers can go to Little League games without actually having to watch their kids play baseball...they can sit in the stands sending texts or playing with various cell phone apps. The "shared experience" no longer has to be shared. People with cell phones can be physically with somebody without being mentally present.

Oh well. It's progress.
(n/m)

February 3rd, 2012, 1:29 am #8

I've made the same observations. Depressing, isn't it?

Cheers,

Scott

Scott Taylor
Thachweave Products
http://thachweave.tripod.com
guy comes walking along busy texting, walks right by elevators, walking,texting,walking...about four feet from the end of the lobby, straight towards granite wall... dang he looked up, turns around, goes right back to texting!

Old Digger Pilot

February 3rd, 2012, 1:34 am #9

stupidity out of people.

I'd slapped that phone out of that little pricks hands and run over it....

Cheers,
Dave
lkj

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!

February 3rd, 2012, 1:43 am #10

Oh well. It's progress.
I began to think about this about the last three years that I taught at the University. Gradually I watched my control of the class diminish and by the last class I taught it was obvious that I was somehow "interrupting" my students and interfering with what they considered the most important thing in their lives. INSANE! I do however own a cell phone and even use it once or twice a month. I see your powers of observation are not limited to the "visual" but also extend into the "societal". cheers, LL

So a friend says: "cheer up things could be worse; so I cheered up and sure as hell Things Got Worse!