I know that Mach 2 kits have a "checkered" reputation, but....

I know that Mach 2 kits have a "checkered" reputation, but....

July 5th, 2012, 9:48 pm #1

But, when I opened the box and looked at the instruction sheet for their 1/72 AJ-2 Savage, I knew I was going to be in for a bumpy ride. The first sentence says, " the nose cone needs to be enlarged to fit the fuselage. With the flash and the sloppy sprue-gates and lack of locating pins it is going to be like a vacuform kit. I have wanted one for years, so it will keep me busy for a while on these hot summer afternoons. On the bright side, the cockpit-nosewheel well assembly fits like a glove, first time out. so all is not lost. I am building a Glossy Sea Blue aircraft from the Naval Air Test Center(NATC). Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

July 5th, 2012, 10:35 pm #2

I've built about ten or a dozen of Didier's kits over the years. Some have been OK builds, some ... well, checkered Only the uniqueness (in injected form) of his subjects has kept me coming back.
Thank goodness he seems to have stopped new releases in 1/72nd from the WW II period; I have only two or three left to slog through.
Good thing I simply can't afford his C-54 right now. I'm certain that if I bought one, Tamigawa or someone would immediately release a REAL kit. Lucky me, I didn't buy his Valiant before Airfix came to the rescue!
Last edited by HK72nd on July 5th, 2012, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 5th, 2012, 11:51 pm #3

But, when I opened the box and looked at the instruction sheet for their 1/72 AJ-2 Savage, I knew I was going to be in for a bumpy ride. The first sentence says, " the nose cone needs to be enlarged to fit the fuselage. With the flash and the sloppy sprue-gates and lack of locating pins it is going to be like a vacuform kit. I have wanted one for years, so it will keep me busy for a while on these hot summer afternoons. On the bright side, the cockpit-nosewheel well assembly fits like a glove, first time out. so all is not lost. I am building a Glossy Sea Blue aircraft from the Naval Air Test Center(NATC). Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.
People who have attempted a Mach 2 kit despite the abundant warnings. With a lot of persistence (say, 200 hours or so of work), you can become a member of an even more elite club--those who have finished a Mach 2 kit.

And take heart--it cannot possibly be worse than their Do 26.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother

July 6th, 2012, 12:05 am #4

The Convair XFY-1 Sea Dart was my first one. It turned out beautifully. Adios,Larry.

July 6th, 2012, 12:47 am #5

I've built two - B45 and the Sea Dart. Interesting to say the least, n/t

July 6th, 2012, 12:50 am #6

Yes the instruction sheet is a joke.What is up with that? [/IMG]
Last edited by philo426 on July 6th, 2012, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 6th, 2012, 1:24 am #7

LOL; some are worse n/t

July 6th, 2012, 1:26 am #8

I've built two - B45 and the Sea Dart. Interesting to say the least, n/t
IIRC, the B-45 was the first Mach 2 kit I built. Rather better than most of the rest n/t

July 6th, 2012, 1:39 am #9

I have a couple but have done nothing on them. I think the best description I have read about the kit quality was- "Mach 2 means the kit was so bad it reached Mach 2 just before it hit the wall". I read it on an entry sheet at an Austin contest a couple of years ago. Mike K.

July 6th, 2012, 1:55 am #10

Actually, the Dassault Mystere biz jet has kinda nice surface detail...