I Just Painted Some Ground Support Equipment...

I Just Painted Some Ground Support Equipment...

February 14th, 2018, 4:53 am #1

...with COLOURCOATS ARUS02 Marine Corps Green (FS24052) enamel. I thinned it 1:1 with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner — I've thinned enamels with lacquer thinners for years with no problems.

I used an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS gravity feed double-action airbrush, with a pre-set handle and a crown tip, at 12 PSI. Flow was excellent, with no clogs or sputters. The paint went on smoothly and both covered and leveled well.

COLOURCOATS paints are manufactured by Sovereign Hobbies in the UK. I purchased the paint online from H&B Hobbies in Massachusetts, which raises the question: if Sovereign Hobbies can, why can't Hannat's market Xtracolor to the U.S.?

Maybe it doesn't matter now if COLOURCOATS carries the colors I need. I had been a big fan of Xtracolor and was very disappointed when they became unavailable in the States. Those U.S. retailers who carry it (Roll Models and Sprue Brothers at least) are apparently flushing inventory and have no plans to re-stock. As Brent from Roll Models said in a post below, there are "shipping issues." It looks like Hannants is missing a big opportunity — that is, of course, if the U.S. domestic market is at all significant.

The models are drying now, and I plan to shoot the remaining unpainted portions tomorrow night. The equipment set includes the Hasegawa generator, the hydraulic test unit kitbashed into a freelance air conditioner, and two scratch-built AG330 SR-71 "Buick" start carts (the Chevy powered version), all 1:48 scale.

I'll try to make some pictures and post them after the second session has dried, if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Bruce

February 14th, 2018, 7:24 am #2

Colourcoats were my favouite paint here in the UK until Gunze lacquers and MRP became available. I used to stock up from WEM at Telford each year. One of the reasons I loved them ( and still do) is that they are fast drying. I use standard lacquer thinners from a car parts shop and sprayed in thin coats the paint is dry enough to handle within a couple of hours. That's was not the case with Xtracolour! Only reason I changed ( and I still have load left) is that I am time poor and the Lacquers dry hard enough to mask in minutes.

February 14th, 2018, 1:18 pm #3

...with COLOURCOATS ARUS02 Marine Corps Green (FS24052) enamel. I thinned it 1:1 with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner — I've thinned enamels with lacquer thinners for years with no problems.

I used an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS gravity feed double-action airbrush, with a pre-set handle and a crown tip, at 12 PSI. Flow was excellent, with no clogs or sputters. The paint went on smoothly and both covered and leveled well.

COLOURCOATS paints are manufactured by Sovereign Hobbies in the UK. I purchased the paint online from H&B Hobbies in Massachusetts, which raises the question: if Sovereign Hobbies can, why can't Hannat's market Xtracolor to the U.S.?

Maybe it doesn't matter now if COLOURCOATS carries the colors I need. I had been a big fan of Xtracolor and was very disappointed when they became unavailable in the States. Those U.S. retailers who carry it (Roll Models and Sprue Brothers at least) are apparently flushing inventory and have no plans to re-stock. As Brent from Roll Models said in a post below, there are "shipping issues." It looks like Hannants is missing a big opportunity — that is, of course, if the U.S. domestic market is at all significant.

The models are drying now, and I plan to shoot the remaining unpainted portions tomorrow night. The equipment set includes the Hasegawa generator, the hydraulic test unit kitbashed into a freelance air conditioner, and two scratch-built AG330 SR-71 "Buick" start carts (the Chevy powered version), all 1:48 scale.

I'll try to make some pictures and post them after the second session has dried, if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Bruce
OK, it's enamel...we get it, well Gunze Aequeous is water based acrylic??? Yet it's "banned" ??? And the Gunze "Mr. Color" line is lacquer based so it's A OK??

Your Gov't at work, we're here to help...it's for the children.
Last edited by Whitey on February 14th, 2018, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew White

February 14th, 2018, 2:25 pm #4

The company, known as GSI Creos since November 2001, made the decision years ago to stop distributing it in the US due to poor sales.
Last edited by Sky King on February 14th, 2018, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

February 14th, 2018, 4:40 pm #5

Some labeling issue that didn't jive with some HAZMAT laws.
Andrew White

February 14th, 2018, 6:02 pm #6

OK, it's enamel...we get it, well Gunze Aequeous is water based acrylic??? Yet it's "banned" ??? And the Gunze "Mr. Color" line is lacquer based so it's A OK??

Your Gov't at work, we're here to help...it's for the children.
It's mostly alcohol based. Which makes it compatible with water, but not really based on water.
Gunze thinner is quite "hot" actually.

February 14th, 2018, 6:09 pm #7

.. were dropped from the US market due to poor sales. That was the one "Acrylic" paint I liked. That said, I've ordered lacquer paints in lots for 40 bottles and quarts of "Mr Leveling thinner" from Japan, and it was NOT shipped in HAZMAT packaging, or markings. I know what I'm talking about, as I was a certified HAZMAT shipper about 12 year ago. The standards are international, and do not vary by country as per IATA. You can ship up to 6 cans of paint to personal address (non business)exempt from normal HAZMAT processes IF in box marked ORM-D. The purchases from Japan did NOT have that.
Last edited by SCopeland on February 14th, 2018, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 14th, 2018, 7:21 pm #8

It typically has "Toys" or "Modeling Supplies" written on the Customs label. Are they trying to skirt the issue or avoid filling out more forms than if they labeled it "Model Paint"?

Sales may have been an issue at one time or another, but I'm willing to bet Sprue Brothers wouldn't be able to keep it in stock if they started carrying the line.
Last edited by Whitey on February 14th, 2018, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew White

February 14th, 2018, 9:25 pm #9

I contacted the company myself. If you search this forum for "GSI Creos" you'll find a lot of discussion about Gunze Sangyo from years past.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

February 14th, 2018, 9:28 pm #10

It's mostly alcohol based. Which makes it compatible with water, but not really based on water.
Gunze thinner is quite "hot" actually.
Miscible with H2O.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX