I just love Steve Zaloga's M24 in What's New ! That is one beautiful model he did. nt.

I just love Steve Zaloga's M24 in What's New ! That is one beautiful model he did. nt.

February 13th, 2012, 5:29 pm #1

February 13th, 2012, 8:46 pm #2

....that the kit is very high-tech and complex to build. I would've much preferred to have more of an upgraded 'shake & bake" kit.

Here's some of the text from Steve's review:

"The kit provides tiny PE numbers to do the some of the transmission housing casting numbers."

"The kit comes with torsion bar arms, separate external suspension arms, and multiple-part wheels with very small axles. As a result, everything wobbles around, and there is no solid fit of the wheels to the axles."

PE numbers for the transmission housing and separate external suspension arms.....are you kidding me?!

Hopefully Tamiya/Dragon will answer the call.

Rick

February 13th, 2012, 9:37 pm #3

Buy the newst reissue from Italeri. Its not all new but they made more changes and it has new link and length tracks in place of the two styles of vinyl tracks in prior issues. It might have a metal gun as well.

February 13th, 2012, 11:18 pm #4

February 13th, 2012, 11:47 pm #5

....that the kit is very high-tech and complex to build. I would've much preferred to have more of an upgraded 'shake & bake" kit.

"The kit provides tiny PE numbers to do the some of the transmission housing casting numbers."

"The kit comes with torsion bar arms, separate external suspension arms, and multiple-part wheels with very small axles. As a result, everything wobbles around, and there is no solid fit of the wheels to the axles."

PE numbers for the transmission housing and separate external suspension arms.....are you kidding me?!

Rick
kits with large parts count. Funny thing is, Dragon was doing this years ago and started to get lambasted for it hence the "Smart Kits" they came out as an answer. Now other manufacturers are doing it and they get praised (mostly). Does look like a nice kit but I will keep my Italeri one w/Formations conversion. That is a beautiful kit.

Roy

February 14th, 2012, 12:08 am #6

February 14th, 2012, 1:53 am #7

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=IT%206502

The Italeri kit is passable. But its definitely a mid 1980s econo kit compared to what Italeri had been doing a decade earlier. its got a lot of simplifications, omissions and downright errors. I think there are still some stray post War vintage details to remove and replace. Still for $19 its not totally awful...

February 14th, 2012, 2:30 am #8

Chaffee kit..I think the over engineered Bronco and over priced Bronco kit will get passed over by me...2 things concerning the Italeri Chaffee...switch out the plastic gun tube with a metal one..it's a cheap up-grade....second the Italeri Chaffee vinyl tracks are stiff and tight, they need a little stretching....dip in hot water for a minute or two and gently pull on the them to give you some space. Mike

February 14th, 2012, 12:31 pm #9

Rick
The wobbly suspension is an issue but the fact that Bronco decides to include a few PE casting symbols on a PE fret that they were already including -- this is an issue to complain about? No one says anyone has to use them. A modern iteration of an M24 has been sought after for a long time. If these two are the only quibbles, then I say "BRAVO" to Bronco.

Roy Chow
AMPS President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
AMPS President
<a href="http://www.amps-armor.org" rel="nofollow">http://www.amps-armor.org</a>

February 14th, 2012, 1:41 pm #10

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=IT%206502

The Italeri kit is passable. But its definitely a mid 1980s econo kit compared to what Italeri had been doing a decade earlier. its got a lot of simplifications, omissions and downright errors. I think there are still some stray post War vintage details to remove and replace. Still for $19 its not totally awful...
David,
I'm glad that there is still some positive reaction to the ITALERI kit.
I have two of them with Fruils and the Royal etch sets that will now be saved from the recycle bin!
Regards,
P.N.