I have just laid down on paint on my first model after 3 years and I have a couple of Q's

I have just laid down on paint on my first model after 3 years and I have a couple of Q's

September 23rd, 2011, 11:43 pm #1

I lost my model room 3 years ago when my daughter had to return to the nest and my wife started he medical transcription career. Finally we have the daughter out and on her own and I just finished the floors in the now spare room (my model/workout/gun shop) and the wife's office this past weekend. I spent the week getting everything stowed away and functional. It is great to have a desk that I can dedicate to a model or two. Last night I decided that not only was there enough room to finish the F-4E I started 5 years ago, but I could also start Revell's lager scale Arizona that I purchased back in '07. I thought it would be great change of pace from the Aircraft I have/had been building.

I have just began to glue the hull together. It is a little warped and it's probably going to take two days to get the whole thing seemed together. And I began to paint the deck. This brings me to my question, What color should I paint the verticals and horizontals for a measure 1 camouflage? I have decided to go with the dark gray with red turret roofs vice the Mediterranean blue and now I am wondering what paint I should use since there does not seem to be any direct match in what's available to me here at the LHS, Model Master or Tamyia.

Thanks for any suggestions and here are two pictures of the now Active modeling desk.

Mark B.

Last edited by MarkB007 on September 30th, 2011, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ed Grune
Ed Grune

September 24th, 2011, 2:19 am #2

... and it appears thgat you've looked around for a locally available paint brand to use which will replicate the color, there isn't one which says 5D on the label. (Well, there is White Ensign's Colourcoats, enamel & not ususally available in hobby shops. A mail order item.)

I'd recommend MM Engine Gray. Its darker than Gunship (sometimes recommended) but not as dark as AC Interior Black. The black would suck in light and any details would just disappear. Go with MM Camouflage Gray for the masts above the funnel tops.

With Dark Gray you can't go too far wrong. Its well established that the Arizona was in Ms1 with Dark Gray from April to the late fall of 1941. All of the blue/gray issues are how she was painted on a morning in December. During the April to Fall timeframe you're also pretty good to go with wood decks. The turret colors were in place at least as far back as 1938.

Wecome back to the hobby

September 24th, 2011, 3:10 am #3

As white seemed to stark and most other light grays seemed a little too light.

I have to wonder though about that morning in December since most of the salvage photos seem to indicate a very dark almost black colour. I am talking about the numbers 3 and 4 turrets and the stern areas of the ship. I would have thought that the Mediterranean Blue would have shown up a little lighter.

Also I wonder what the cost of painting a Pennsylvania class ship was? And how long it took to do it?

Thanks again
Mark B.

Last edited by MarkB007 on September 24th, 2011, 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 24th, 2011, 3:29 am #4

That is the gist of much of the controversy. It looks dark, the orders say paint it blue. How much lighter is the blue than the dark gray? Was the paint materials on hand? Had it been done? Is what you're looking at fire & smoke damage?

Go to Tracy White's Researcher at Large site for all of the documentation on the Pearl Harbor paint, as well as other Pacific Naval War topics.

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/S19-7/index.html

The Arizona was in the shop for some bodywork following a fender bender with the Oklahoma. She came out only a week or two before 12/7. Was she repainted then? She was due to depart for a West Coast yard availability later in the week of 12/7. Was the painting put off until then?

If the paint was on hand, an all-hands painting party could repaint (without heavy chipping & preparation) in a couple of days.

You can spend weeks in Tracy's site and discover all sorts info he's gleaned from the Archives
Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you’re shit.

September 26th, 2011, 3:49 am #5

Thanks for the plug Ed, but one correction. It's not "all" of the Pearl Harbor documents, just ones I've come across. I'll be at NARA II in about a month looking for more, and I think I've identified some areas no one's been in before.

Also, the goal is to have California's and Nevada's damage reports posted by this December. Got a fun Arizona update going online later tonight if I can get Photoshop to not crap out on me long enough..... 400 meg tif files are cooool
Tracy White
Researcher At Large

Ed Grune
Ed Grune

September 26th, 2011, 5:15 pm #6

You're welcome. I've already passed the new link on to a buddy working the big Arizona

I used term 'all sorts' knowing that you don't have all the documentation. If you did, there would be no discussion as to color, rather we'd be conjecturing as to whether ADM Kidd wore pajamas or went commando ;->

September 26th, 2011, 5:25 pm #7

Or the great color debate would shift to linoleum decks.... which I am also hoping to research.

P.S. I gotta believe pajamas
Tracy White
Researcher At Large