I guess you folks on the east coast USA

I guess you folks on the east coast USA

July 3rd, 2012, 8:09 pm #1

around DC don't have much need for having back up generators at your house? I have a 500 watt one on stand by every summer now since Ike hit. I can not run the AC but I can at least run a fan and keep the fridge going to save the ice and food. Even let my next door neighbor tap in after Ike so he had a fan running to keep cool at night. We got lucky with that storm, a cool front hit us a few days afterwards so it made things much more comfortable. I can sympathize with you not having power for a long time as many here had to deal with this at that time too, some for several weeks.

July 3rd, 2012, 8:44 pm #2

When you have an 87 year old parent with stroke effects hindering their ability to regulate their own temperature, it is a/c or move to where there is a/c.

And in a "perfect storm" of events - the weekend was the 125th Anniv re-enactment of Gettysburg, and heading into the Chrysler Nationals in Carlisle PA, and 4th of July vacationers. So hotels/motels North of Washington were already booked. Finally found a room - and only had to deal with "I want to go home" repeatedly for two days. Couldn't do a shelter - too much noise and confusion for her.

Spoiled food can be replaced, ill and elderly parent cannot.

Funny thing, buying a generator is like buying a water pump - when you really need one, there aren't any - expect from the guy who bought all he could at Home Despot and now sits off their property selling them for 6 times or more what he paid - LOL.
72nd a/c, 35th armor, 144th space and anything else I might like...

July 3rd, 2012, 9:36 pm #3

the year leading up to the milinium it was hard to find a reasonably priced generator. So happens we were looking to buy one for our deer lease. we got one and it is small, barely adequate and costs us around $1500.00!
Two weeks before Ike was a Hurricane I purchased my 5000 watt unit for $850.00 at Lowes ,a week later I think the price was $400.00 more. Good to have in an emergency but if you wait too long it will cost you $$. Glad you guys managed to fins a place for your Mom.

In your neck of the woods I imagine one is not something many may ever need?

July 3rd, 2012, 11:39 pm #4

the infrastructure out on the east coast is pretty well built up. Outages usually don't last long (in fact, it is not uncommon to see convoys of utility trucks heading east BEFORE severe weather even hits them. Most of the built up areas get back online pretty fast. Granted, there are exceptions where power is a MUST, but, for home use, there's really not too much of a market for generators....

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"