I didn't help Monogram/Revell much....

April 14th, 2018, 9:01 pm #1

It makes up at least 80% of my stash but I bought very little of it brand-new. The second-hand market doesn't send a dime their way, and probably gives the seller more funds to "upgrade" HIS stash to something OTHER than Monogram.

Once they moved production to China I was done buying anything new from them. Nothing against China or the Chinese people, more of a screw-you to the greedy Americans who sent the work overseas.

Recently the thought of them going bye-bye forever made me rethink things a little so I bought four Chinese-made kits which still makes me feel a little dirty. Up til then the only China-made kits I bought were "used" so I figured any damage had already been done. Even at that I bought very few of those.

I was surprised to find a few new US-made kits, not sure if they were actually made here now or old stock...the Do-335 and Kingfisher which I bought. Also bought a Polish-made F-102 with Wisconsin ANG markings.

For anyone who's curious the four Chinese ones are a T-6, SBD and two 109's. Maybe I should've been reading the new boxes sooner, my little chance to reward good behavior and punish bad, at least in my own mind.

I'm sort of an isolationist that way but it bothers me less to buy a new Tamiya kit than a Chinese Monogram. Tamiya's an Asian outfit and always was.

Where a company is based never mattered to me, it's where the physical work is done that matters to me. Asian companies employing Asian people I understand, American companies employing Asian people is just greed. It bothers me to reward greed.

(Edit: On that note, for the same reasons, if I "must" buy a Japanese kit I prefer Hasegawa kits to Tamiya. Tamiya kits are outsourced to The Philippines, I'm guessing for cheaper labor, while Hasegawa kits are made in Japan. Greed is greed anywhere.)

I wish the new Revell owners well, and will be looking forward to see how this all develops.

John
Last edited by stilltubeglue on April 14th, 2018, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

Hi, John -- I have to agree with you in this !! It really pains me that Gerber and Budwie

April 14th, 2018, 9:12 pm #2

Budweiser are no longer American owned !! Etc ...

And I am really quite concerned about our financial and manufacturing situation with China.

Not sure about Gerber but...

April 14th, 2018, 9:19 pm #3

Budweiser is still made here. That bothers me less than an American company outsourcing work overseas. Jobs, y'know? Manufacturing jobs, that is.

John

Well, I sure did back in the 1950s and '60s and into the '70s.

April 14th, 2018, 9:29 pm #4

It makes up at least 80% of my stash but I bought very little of it brand-new. The second-hand market doesn't send a dime their way, and probably gives the seller more funds to "upgrade" HIS stash to something OTHER than Monogram.

Once they moved production to China I was done buying anything new from them. Nothing against China or the Chinese people, more of a screw-you to the greedy Americans who sent the work overseas.

Recently the thought of them going bye-bye forever made me rethink things a little so I bought four Chinese-made kits which still makes me feel a little dirty. Up til then the only China-made kits I bought were "used" so I figured any damage had already been done. Even at that I bought very few of those.

I was surprised to find a few new US-made kits, not sure if they were actually made here now or old stock...the Do-335 and Kingfisher which I bought. Also bought a Polish-made F-102 with Wisconsin ANG markings.

For anyone who's curious the four Chinese ones are a T-6, SBD and two 109's. Maybe I should've been reading the new boxes sooner, my little chance to reward good behavior and punish bad, at least in my own mind.

I'm sort of an isolationist that way but it bothers me less to buy a new Tamiya kit than a Chinese Monogram. Tamiya's an Asian outfit and always was.

Where a company is based never mattered to me, it's where the physical work is done that matters to me. Asian companies employing Asian people I understand, American companies employing Asian people is just greed. It bothers me to reward greed.

(Edit: On that note, for the same reasons, if I "must" buy a Japanese kit I prefer Hasegawa kits to Tamiya. Tamiya kits are outsourced to The Philippines, I'm guessing for cheaper labor, while Hasegawa kits are made in Japan. Greed is greed anywhere.)

I wish the new Revell owners well, and will be looking forward to see how this all develops.

John
The first plastic kit I ever built was Revell's then new Douglas D-558-II Skyrocket. Monogram's Grumman Gulfhawk, Cessna 180, Piper Tri-pacer, and TWA Constellation were favorites. And once Revell and Monogram started turning out kits in 1/72 scale, I bought at least one of each. Heck, I even had not one but TWO Monogram Flapjacks (both gifts).
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

And yet we're all humans stuck on the same little ball...

April 14th, 2018, 9:32 pm #5

John
though we seem to be trying to forget that fact lately.
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

Hasegawa-vs-Tamiya...

April 14th, 2018, 9:41 pm #6

And I am really quite concerned about our financial and manufacturing situation with China.
For the same reasons, if I "must" buy a Japanese kit I prefer Hasegawa kits to Tamiya. Tamiya kits are outsourced to The Philippines, I'm guessing for cheaper labor, while Hasegawa kits are made in Japan.

John

Amen...

April 14th, 2018, 9:44 pm #7

though we seem to be trying to forget that fact lately.
I've been trying to think more globally, but greed is greed anywhere. I guess that's what I'm against.

John

Wood kits before that?

April 14th, 2018, 9:46 pm #8

The first plastic kit I ever built was Revell's then new Douglas D-558-II Skyrocket. Monogram's Grumman Gulfhawk, Cessna 180, Piper Tri-pacer, and TWA Constellation were favorites. And once Revell and Monogram started turning out kits in 1/72 scale, I bought at least one of each. Heck, I even had not one but TWO Monogram Flapjacks (both gifts).
I'm guessing because you said first plastic kit.

John

^ Added to Original. ^

April 14th, 2018, 10:13 pm #9

Greed is greed anywhere.

I don't consider where my models are made

April 14th, 2018, 10:21 pm #10

John
I buy my models and supplies without regard for where they are made. However, just because a product was made in China or the Philippines does not mean that someone in the U.S. where I live is not making some money or recovering some money. If I buy a Tamiya kit second hand, it was probably imported by Tamiya U.S.A., sold by an American retailer, then the owner decided to sell it on and get some of their money back from the original purchase. Half a dozen U.S. citizens at the minimum have participated in that economic chain from shippers, to stockers to retail stores and even the person selling at a loss is getting some money from their original purchase.

Our economy is way past where it was made, it is hard to buy anything in the hobby world that does not give economic benefit to people in the country where the item is purchased.

Even if my retailer is not local, I buy several times a year from Sprue Brothers, without the likes of Tamiya they would not have product to sell me.

Take revell for example and compare it to Tamiya, whether they make a revell kit in the U.S. or China it was generally not as nice of a kit to build as the Tamiya kit. I quit buying Revell in part because of quality but also their good stuff was Automotive and mainly american Muscle cars and my appetite for American muscle cars is very low. Monogram and Revell made some great car kits, but they were not to my longterm taste.

Revell and Monogram aircraft and military kits never grew on me because of their quality compared to what I could get from other companies.

I don't really care that much if Revell exists or not, I buy based upon what is available and what I am interested in. Plenty of Americans profit from my hobby purchases regardless of where the plastic is pushed through the machine or the name on the box it comes in.