That's right, I'm not a global businessman...

April 16th, 2018, 2:21 am #81

It is now evident you do not know anything about the Revell business, the plastic model industry in general, or global business at all.

Revell GmbH has the molds pressed in Poland as it is cheaper then producing them in the PRC and shipping plastic around the world for decals and boxing.

Poland is in Europe, where the vast majority of the Revell GmbH market is located. Shipping costs to the other members in Europe is the main factor. The other is the reduced risk of the Chinese running their own plastic through the Revell molds if they stay in China.
You state good reasons the molds are in Poland not China.

I wanna know why they're in Poland not Germany.

John
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

Workin' on that. n/t

April 16th, 2018, 2:34 am #82

perhaps you can get your politicians to stop invading other countries and massacring their populations.
Workin' on that. n/t

But I'd rather have my $, esp big car purchase $, going to 'friends'/allies as much ....

April 16th, 2018, 3:09 am #83

And AMC was bought by Renault in the 80s, who sold the Jeep marque to Chrysler in the 90s. And in the 80s and 90s Chrysler and Mitsubishi had a manufacturing alliance. Sometime in the late 90s Daimler-Benz bought Chrysler, but they separated a couple of years before the Fiat deal. So it was indeed happening when you bought your cars, or when they were manufactured.
Not trolling you at all, but the relationships are a lot more intertwined than most people imagine, like Renault having a controlling share of Nissan. And GM and the relationship with Isuzu.
as poss. Countries whose citizens are free, have a free press, 'free' elections, OHSAs, child/slave labor laws, no secret police about to grab you, etc, than say the chicoms.

Ambroid was my favorite for...

April 16th, 2018, 3:39 am #84

A local shop had it but his store went oob at least 5 years ago....

Cheers
Max
..dressing seams. After tube glue had the airframe solidly together I'd dress the seams with Ambroid. I avoided much puttying and sanding that way, without destroying raised surface detail.

Guess I'll have to find a new favorite liquid cement for that job.

John

Its not greed

April 16th, 2018, 7:38 am #85

It makes up at least 80% of my stash but I bought very little of it brand-new. The second-hand market doesn't send a dime their way, and probably gives the seller more funds to "upgrade" HIS stash to something OTHER than Monogram.

Once they moved production to China I was done buying anything new from them. Nothing against China or the Chinese people, more of a screw-you to the greedy Americans who sent the work overseas.

Recently the thought of them going bye-bye forever made me rethink things a little so I bought four Chinese-made kits which still makes me feel a little dirty. Up til then the only China-made kits I bought were "used" so I figured any damage had already been done. Even at that I bought very few of those.

I was surprised to find a few new US-made kits, not sure if they were actually made here now or old stock...the Do-335 and Kingfisher which I bought. Also bought a Polish-made F-102 with Wisconsin ANG markings.

For anyone who's curious the four Chinese ones are a T-6, SBD and two 109's. Maybe I should've been reading the new boxes sooner, my little chance to reward good behavior and punish bad, at least in my own mind.

I'm sort of an isolationist that way but it bothers me less to buy a new Tamiya kit than a Chinese Monogram. Tamiya's an Asian outfit and always was.

Where a company is based never mattered to me, it's where the physical work is done that matters to me. Asian companies employing Asian people I understand, American companies employing Asian people is just greed. It bothers me to reward greed.

(Edit: On that note, for the same reasons, if I "must" buy a Japanese kit I prefer Hasegawa kits to Tamiya. Tamiya kits are outsourced to The Philippines, I'm guessing for cheaper labor, while Hasegawa kits are made in Japan. Greed is greed anywhere.)

I wish the new Revell owners well, and will be looking forward to see how this all develops.

John
Nor does it put Americans out of work taken as a whole. Production should be done by those who can do it cheapest and/or best. That means consumers can consume the most and that supports the maximum number of jobs possible. Every $1 extra Revell took from you by keeping production in the US was $1 you couldn't spend keeping a job at your local bar or your local farm or in Detroit.

Why don't you care about the American jobs that would not have been created by shifting production? Because you can't see those?

Maybe the tax laws are better as well?

April 16th, 2018, 10:57 am #86

John
Companies will shift for a 1 or 2% advantage in tax, or for intellectual property breaks. Coul dbe that Poland's tax system is friendlier.

LOL......!!!!!

April 16th, 2018, 12:28 pm #87

The Chevy is a '93 pickup, 25 years old this year and runs better than ever with 240,000 miles on it.

The Jeep is a '96 Cherokee, also with over 200 on it, bought it new and it still drives like new. Kid uses it now, for work.

Did I pass?

John
I drive a '90 Cherokee Laredo XJ, never thought about trading it....ht ebest car I've ever had....
Built in Toledo, not my Toledo, but yours...!!!

Cheers...

Revell's prices didn't come down...

April 16th, 2018, 2:51 pm #88

Nor does it put Americans out of work taken as a whole. Production should be done by those who can do it cheapest and/or best. That means consumers can consume the most and that supports the maximum number of jobs possible. Every $1 extra Revell took from you by keeping production in the US was $1 you couldn't spend keeping a job at your local bar or your local farm or in Detroit.

Why don't you care about the American jobs that would not have been created by shifting production? Because you can't see those?
..when production moved. I believe that generally, production gets moved to compete in the stock market, not the actual market with shelves and pricetags.

Jobs created? The people I know who lost factory jobs ended up doing other things that paid less, with no benefits, insurance or pension. There's a reason we see old people working at McDonalds now.

Ever read George Orwell's Animal Farm? I feel like we're living it. I'm glad I made it outta the hamster wheel.

Just so you know, in real life, some of my favorite people are those I disagree with most.

John

'90? You win! P-51's...

April 16th, 2018, 3:18 pm #89

I drive a '90 Cherokee Laredo XJ, never thought about trading it....ht ebest car I've ever had....
Built in Toledo, not my Toledo, but yours...!!!

Cheers...
I've been away awhile but was able to lurk and see your work. I love it. You should build more P-51's, you're good at them. I'm a sucker for pretty Mustangs.

John

Presumably, Revell Germany has figured out that it's not cost effective to own molding mac

April 16th, 2018, 3:22 pm #90

John
In that situation, a company would solicit bids to have the molding done fore them. Poland is still in the EU and so is subject to all the same workplace and environmental standards as Germany. You can't blame a company for going with the cheapest option available.