By as promised I mean...

April 15th, 2018, 4:48 pm #61

I am often in the Czech Republic, which is more or less similar (and next) to Poland

Outsourcing to Poland brings money into Poland and helps the people over there to increase their living standard to Western standards, I guess you can say on a bigger scale financial capabilities slowly flow from west to east due mostly to lower (labor) costs in Eastern Europe but thanks to better (European) regulations at least a part of that money ends up with the middle class, and not with some "greedy" fat cats - as is probably the case in PRC

But I like to hear the thoughts from real Poles (or other Eastern Europeans) on this...

Interesting discussion John - good to see you back !

William De Coster / Belgian in Joburg / Plastic Stories / Plastic Gatherings

1/72 - Choroszy Modelbud - LWS 4 Zubr : Part I - Part II - Part III (incl. Scale World 2016 show report)
1/72 - Airfix - TBD-1 Devastator : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV
1/72 - Frog - F-86 Sabre : Part I /End
1/72 - Matchbox - Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress (What If) : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
In a global economy, as promised, we learn to rely on each other and everyone in the world has new opportunities to live better lives. Sounds great!

All we're doing now is moving tooling from s-hole A to s-hole B once s-hole A's economy begins to improve and we actually have to pay them something for their labor.

C,D,E...staying on the cutting edge of exploiting others' misfortunes, that's not a global economy, it's slavery.

John

I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

I've been thinking about this...

April 15th, 2018, 5:01 pm #62

...that separates greed from a reasonable profit on investment in a competitive market?

Thanks,
Bruce
But first I need a definition of a reasonable profit.

John

Not entirely true

April 15th, 2018, 5:07 pm #63

Firms MUST focus on quarterly profits because we, the shareholders, demand profit at all cost. Blame us, not the firms. Of course, this doesn't apply to privately-held companies.
Today’s shareholders are not like yesterday’s. Individual investors have largely been supplanted by institutional investors, such as hedge funds and mutual funds, who typically hold on to assets for a shorter period than their predecessors. In 1950, 92 percent of stocks were held directly by investors. By 2006, this figure had dropped to less than a third. In 1940, the average equity was held for seven years. Today it’s less than one year. You also have activist investors who push for higher and higher quarterly profits, again, more concerned with short term profit than long term success.
Last edited by cdunton on April 15th, 2018, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Builder of clean 3 footers, and the occasional 1 footer...

Re: Not enitient true

April 15th, 2018, 6:43 pm #64

I don't see how that alters what I wrote.

Yeah from here it looks like...

April 15th, 2018, 6:49 pm #65

..you guys are agreeing with each other.

John

Maybe you should review your world view. In the fifties

April 15th, 2018, 6:53 pm #66

In a global economy, as promised, we learn to rely on each other and everyone in the world has new opportunities to live better lives. Sounds great!

All we're doing now is moving tooling from s-hole A to s-hole B once s-hole A's economy begins to improve and we actually have to pay them something for their labor.

C,D,E...staying on the cutting edge of exploiting others' misfortunes, that's not a global economy, it's slavery.

John
a lot of industries moved their manufacturing to a s-hole country called Japan. The point being they learned manufacturing while here in the U.S. workers went from manufacturing to higher paying white collar jobs. Eventually Japan became too expensive, and beat us at at own game I might add, so industry went to places like Korea, then India China etc etc, yes in search of cheap labor. Very successful. So The cycle will continue and everyones lives will improve. This isn't exploitation, it's how countries have developed for as long as economies have been around. True exploitation is what businesses and individuals do to illegal immigrants to keep their mouths shut and pay low...that's slavery. And by the, your Chevy and Jeep were probably made in Mexico or Canada, as a whole or in part. Been going on since the 70's.

I threw out three tubes this week!

April 15th, 2018, 7:37 pm #67

used tube glue in years.
As I'm sitting at my hobby desk I'm building an old Aurora Dracula's dragster Polar lights repop as part of my heart rehab boredom. It was the first kit that I ever built as a kid and it is a fun little nostalgia build! Only thing different is it is molded in cream colored plastic and I remember the original being molded in black. Also I am using Ambroid liquid glue but I needed a bit of tube glue for a part I couldn't get to with my liquid glue, as I would have caused some damage. So I go through the drawers of my desk. I find 3 tubes of glue and they're all dried out. It was like one of those stupid Home Depot/Lowes' commercials, where I suddenly realize that all the hobby supplies I have are 30 plus years old!

I bought a new tube of Testors yesterday at Hobby Lobby.

Max Bryant
Last edited by takenname1 on April 15th, 2018, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Max Bryant

"You'll Love My Wingnuts!"

Explanation

April 15th, 2018, 8:11 pm #68

..you guys are agreeing with each other.

John
I meant hedge fund managers and activist investors more than the individual investors. Always chasing quarterly profits in my opinion is not good for the long-term health of any company or the economy in general over the Long Haul.
Builder of clean 3 footers, and the occasional 1 footer...

I agree with much of this...

April 15th, 2018, 8:27 pm #69

a lot of industries moved their manufacturing to a s-hole country called Japan. The point being they learned manufacturing while here in the U.S. workers went from manufacturing to higher paying white collar jobs. Eventually Japan became too expensive, and beat us at at own game I might add, so industry went to places like Korea, then India China etc etc, yes in search of cheap labor. Very successful. So The cycle will continue and everyones lives will improve. This isn't exploitation, it's how countries have developed for as long as economies have been around. True exploitation is what businesses and individuals do to illegal immigrants to keep their mouths shut and pay low...that's slavery. And by the, your Chevy and Jeep were probably made in Mexico or Canada, as a whole or in part. Been going on since the 70's.
Except the part about life getting better everywhere, including here in the US. White collar jobs are going bye-bye too. I saw this coming in about 1980 already. I said then the only way to compete against s-holes is to become one and from what I see it's happening. Thank God I'm retired.

My son tells me the Jeep's transmission is Japanese but it was built in the old Willys-Overland plant in Toledo. I did have a Canadian-built '77 Chevy once, actually I married that one, but Japan and Canada are countries whose workers are paid a living wage so I'm fine with that, that's fair trade.

Successful companies aren't successful in my opinion unless their workers are successful, that's what matters to me and I speak with my wallet. Not often lol but I do.

Thanks for the thoughts Alan.

John

I wish they made smaller tubes...

April 15th, 2018, 8:42 pm #70

As I'm sitting at my hobby desk I'm building an old Aurora Dracula's dragster Polar lights repop as part of my heart rehab boredom. It was the first kit that I ever built as a kid and it is a fun little nostalgia build! Only thing different is it is molded in cream colored plastic and I remember the original being molded in black. Also I am using Ambroid liquid glue but I needed a bit of tube glue for a part I couldn't get to with my liquid glue, as I would have caused some damage. So I go through the drawers of my desk. I find 3 tubes of glue and they're all dried out. It was like one of those stupid Home Depot/Lowes' commercials, where I suddenly realize that all the hobby supplies I have are 30 plus years old!

I bought a new tube of Testors yesterday at Hobby Lobby.

Max Bryant
It gets stringy if it's not fresh. Even when I'm on a good roll I can't use it up fast enough.

Where did you find Ambroid, or is it old?

John