Focus on short term profits, not long term success

April 15th, 2018, 4:45 am #51

...when the quest for ever increasing shareholder value
overides the quest for ever increasing product quality.

I've seen it happen.
Quarterly Profits....When firms focus on the short term, those firms steer profits to shareholders immediately instead of spending money to improve productivity. They spend less on research and development for the next great products and services, less on capital spending to improve manufacturing efficiency. It’s fair to say that a short-term perspective has the potential to undermine the traditional growth engines of the American economy. It wasn't always that way...
Builder of clean 3 footers, and the occasional 1 footer...

Just me i guess.

April 15th, 2018, 5:23 am #52

Please read the above few comments and let me know what you think about this.

Thanks, John.
John, i'm as Polish as it gets but i do not see what it has to do with anything covered in this thread.

Or have i missed something ?

BTW, Revell did produced some of their kits in Poland. Also they used Polish tool makers to build the molds. Me-262 in 1/32 is one of them. Personally i don't see anything wrong with it.
As far as the cars / trucks go, my 2014 Nissan Frontier is 100% US parts and labor, built in Toledo OH while the 2016 Ford F-150 my son owns is only like 70% US parts and labor.

Global economy, nothing we can do about it other than learn to live with it. Times are changing and we have to change and adapt to survive.
C.

Try living in Australia.

April 15th, 2018, 6:45 am #53

you must lead a very off-the-grid life.

I feel sorry for you. We must all make selections but not buying US company products produced overseas eventually impacts US-based businesses.

Will you by Revell GmbH kits produced in Poland? Even the old Revell/Mongram molds?
damned airfreight.

Re: Only person to blame is us...

April 15th, 2018, 7:03 am #54

Monogram and Revell were the best of all time. Until we got so interested in details that were made to make us less able to scratch build ourselves. Not putting anyone down but take a look at how many people do not scratch detail. When in the hay day we had to scratch everything from seat belts to flaps. A friend built an F-5e and P-51d that at the time was perfect, from Monogram, in the '80s.
Best compared to what ?

When you say best of all time when? 1960/70/80/90s ? And compared to who? Hasegawa, Tamiya, Airfix, Lindbergh ?

Mongrqmyand Revell produces some good kits but they also made some dogs. Just like every other kit company.

Scratch building detail is for a minor and very small market. The big market is OOB builds.

The fact is Monogram and revell have gone bust a few times and it’s alwyas for a variety of reasons.

Andrew

Not me, but...

April 15th, 2018, 8:41 am #55

Please read the above few comments and let me know what you think about this.

Thanks, John.
I am often in the Czech Republic, which is more or less similar (and next) to Poland

Outsourcing to Poland brings money into Poland and helps the people over there to increase their living standard to Western standards, I guess you can say on a bigger scale financial capabilities slowly flow from west to east due mostly to lower (labor) costs in Eastern Europe but thanks to better (European) regulations at least a part of that money ends up with the middle class, and not with some "greedy" fat cats - as is probably the case in PRC

But I like to hear the thoughts from real Poles (or other Eastern Europeans) on this...

Interesting discussion John - good to see you back !

William De Coster / Belgian in Joburg / Plastic Stories / Plastic Gatherings

1/72 - Choroszy Modelbud - LWS 4 Zubr : Part I - Part II - Part III (incl. Scale World 2016 show report)
1/72 - Airfix - TBD-1 Devastator : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV
1/72 - Frog - F-86 Sabre : Part I /End
1/72 - Matchbox - Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress (What If) : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

You misunderstand my thought.

April 15th, 2018, 12:20 pm #56

Really? I think the comparison to Frog/Lindberg though is a little off base. Revell/Monogram kits were years ahead of those kits

No Revell/Monogram..then none of these in 1/48

Kingfisher
F-80 - still better than hobby boss
F-86D
F-89
F-101B(KH still vaporware)
RF-101B
F-102
EA-6A
B-25H,J in all its variants
B-24D,J
B-17F/G
B-26
B-29
B-58
B-1B
A-26
DC-3
Ju-52
C-47 (still better and cheaper than trumpeter)
PBY Catalina
Curtiss Helldiver (Promodeler, not the older one)
Mercury/Gemini Capsules

None of these....

1/72 B-52D
1/72 B-36
1/72 Gato Submarine
1/72 Space Shuttle
1/72 Space Shuttle Stack
1/32 Apollo capsule
1/24 Gemini Capsule
1/40 Nike Missile
1/144 Mir
1/144 ISS
1/144 Shuttle/747 (although I guess one could piece from other kits)
1/24 Vostok

I'm sure I'm missing a few...
I'm not saying they didn't contribute to the hobby, I'm saying they currently have fallen behind. I see where you're going, but how many of those kits are currently in production? Very few of them. How often are they rereleased? Not very often. Plus, they can almost all be found on the secondary market. I love R/M and I'm sad to see them go, but currently they weren't doing much for the aircraft modelers. I built the box art models for the last F-18F and F-15C releases, but even then I saw the writing on the wall. In talking with R/M rep, he stated there would be no more new aircraft, just repopping the old ones every-so-often.

Thanks Gents, raising standards...

April 15th, 2018, 1:55 pm #57

I am often in the Czech Republic, which is more or less similar (and next) to Poland

Outsourcing to Poland brings money into Poland and helps the people over there to increase their living standard to Western standards, I guess you can say on a bigger scale financial capabilities slowly flow from west to east due mostly to lower (labor) costs in Eastern Europe but thanks to better (European) regulations at least a part of that money ends up with the middle class, and not with some "greedy" fat cats - as is probably the case in PRC

But I like to hear the thoughts from real Poles (or other Eastern Europeans) on this...

1/72 - Choroszy Modelbud - LWS 4 Zubr : Part I - Part II - Part III (incl. Scale World 2016 show report)

In an ideal world that's the beauty of a global economy. More than enough to go around, we all get our little slice of paradise and nobody fights.

I'd be all for that, if that were the case.

John
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

Mutual respect...

April 15th, 2018, 2:03 pm #58

Is what it would take for a global economy to deliver as promised. Not respect once we're all even, respect BEFORE we're all even.

John
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

Re: Focus on short term profits, not long term success

April 15th, 2018, 4:02 pm #59

Quarterly Profits....When firms focus on the short term, those firms steer profits to shareholders immediately instead of spending money to improve productivity. They spend less on research and development for the next great products and services, less on capital spending to improve manufacturing efficiency. It’s fair to say that a short-term perspective has the potential to undermine the traditional growth engines of the American economy. It wasn't always that way...
Firms MUST focus on quarterly profits because we, the shareholders, demand profit at all cost. Blame us, not the firms. Of course, this doesn't apply to privately-held companies.

Revell Germany seems to have been designated as the global brand

April 15th, 2018, 4:23 pm #60

I'm not saying they didn't contribute to the hobby, I'm saying they currently have fallen behind. I see where you're going, but how many of those kits are currently in production? Very few of them. How often are they rereleased? Not very often. Plus, they can almost all be found on the secondary market. I love R/M and I'm sad to see them go, but currently they weren't doing much for the aircraft modelers. I built the box art models for the last F-18F and F-15C releases, but even then I saw the writing on the wall. In talking with R/M rep, he stated there would be no more new aircraft, just repopping the old ones every-so-often.
that would develop a broader range of subjects including aircraft. Still with all the new model companies out there producing aircraft kits it's surprising that R-M couldn't figure it out. If you look at the typical price point for new 1/48 aircraft kits, it's pushing $50 or more even for the new Chinese companies. That's obviously not compatible with Revell remaining a mass market brand.