^ ANY REAL POLES HERE? ^

April 15th, 2018, 3:23 am #41

you must lead a very off-the-grid life.

I feel sorry for you. We must all make selections but not buying US company products produced overseas eventually impacts US-based businesses.

Will you by Revell GmbH kits produced in Poland? Even the old Revell/Mongram molds?
Please read the above few comments and let me know what you think about this.

Thanks, John.
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

I do! ...

April 15th, 2018, 3:26 am #42

log-in Love it!
I use liquid cement too but usually for seam treatments after it's been assembled with real glue.

John

109's are red
Spitfires are blue
My kits aren't so old
It's yours that are new.

190's are black
Zeroes are yellow
It's good to be back
Among ye good fellow!

Oh, and...

April 15th, 2018, 3:33 am #43

log-in Love it!
My old login was tubeglue. I can't log into it anymore probably due to a defunct old e-mail address.

New e-mail now so new account.

John

Bet 'ya a burger a lot of modelers here have never

April 15th, 2018, 3:35 am #44

used tube glue in years.

Thanks Fellas! n/t

April 15th, 2018, 3:36 am #45

1. Photo reconnaissance aircraft (ASAE, but prefer 1/48), since that is what I worked on while in the USAF.

2. Thai aircraft, military & civil, ASAE.

3. Thai armor in 1/35.

Larry
Thanks Fellas! n/t

And your TV, microwave, fridge, jack stands, hedge trimmer, tube socks, etc. I try ....

April 15th, 2018, 3:36 am #46

Pretty sure mine were built before that kinda stuff happened.

John
(I'm very anti PRC, the gov't, ruling class/filthy rich 10%, not their reg citizens, culture, etc) but it's very difficult.

I've never ever stepped foot in a WalMart either! They're like 80% PRC made stuff right? The non perishables anyway. But then that's very 'EZ' in my neck of the woods. Hi prop values mean very few mega/big box stores w/ 100 acre parking lots nearby. Closest WalMart is 20+ miles away. And I don't have 4 kids and a tight family budget. Make 50G a yr, have kids, etc, I get why WalMart is attractive, perhaps even necessary.

I favor Patagonia clothes, and at least w/ them 80% of their stuff is not made in the PRC. EZer to buy from them. Tho I do look at the tags before purchase to see where the item was made. I'll gladly pay the 'extra' 5-10 bucks for a non-PRC fleece jacket. But, again, I ain't buying for a family of five on a middle class wallet.

Bought a sm fridge and big freezer for the garage last month. I tried my best, but ended up w/ Canadian and PRC. So much middle class day to day stuff is not made in the US. I'm sure glad I don't get much if anything from Russia! The rare Zeveda kit's it afaik. Not like I'm buying buckets of rare earths or caviar.

Don't have much trouble buying from our friends/allies. Canada, Mex, Jpn, UK, Korea, France, Italy, etc. Just try hard to limit anything from the PRC or Russia.

And like the veg that sometimes orders a bacon cheeseburger, I do buy from Hong Kong. Online shops and kit makers. I choose (conveniently) not to think of HK as a part of the PRC. And yes I know they really are.

I always have a tube of Testors handy. Use it 1% of the time but sometimes ....

April 15th, 2018, 3:41 am #47

used tube glue in years.
it's the best choice. Sometimes.

I started using it again

April 15th, 2018, 3:44 am #48

used tube glue in years.
Been having a lot of issues with ghost seams so I'm back on it to see if it makes a difference. So far just for cementing fuselage halves and wing panels together. Jury's still out as my building has slowed over the last couple of years (1:1 car project I really want to finish is taking up the lion's share of my time) but so far, no issues.

Yeah I try too...

April 15th, 2018, 3:55 am #49

(I'm very anti PRC, the gov't, ruling class/filthy rich 10%, not their reg citizens, culture, etc) but it's very difficult.

I've never ever stepped foot in a WalMart either! They're like 80% PRC made stuff right? The non perishables anyway. But then that's very 'EZ' in my neck of the woods. Hi prop values mean very few mega/big box stores w/ 100 acre parking lots nearby. Closest WalMart is 20+ miles away. And I don't have 4 kids and a tight family budget. Make 50G a yr, have kids, etc, I get why WalMart is attractive, perhaps even necessary.

I favor Patagonia clothes, and at least w/ them 80% of their stuff is not made in the PRC. EZer to buy from them. Tho I do look at the tags before purchase to see where the item was made. I'll gladly pay the 'extra' 5-10 bucks for a non-PRC fleece jacket. But, again, I ain't buying for a family of five on a middle class wallet.

Bought a sm fridge and big freezer for the garage last month. I tried my best, but ended up w/ Canadian and PRC. So much middle class day to day stuff is not made in the US. I'm sure glad I don't get much if anything from Russia! The rare Zeveda kit's it afaik. Not like I'm buying buckets of rare earths or caviar.

Don't have much trouble buying from our friends/allies. Canada, Mex, Jpn, UK, Korea, France, Italy, etc. Just try hard to limit anything from the PRC or Russia.

And like the veg that sometimes orders a bacon cheeseburger, I do buy from Hong Kong. Online shops and kit makers. I choose (conveniently) not to think of HK as a part of the PRC. And yes I know they really are.

My relatives know me so if they're buying something new just because it's new they'll give me their old stuff. I'm still using the stove I got from someone probably 25 years ago. It's fine. They've probably been through two more by now.

Wal-Mart employees qualify for gov't assistance so who are we really assisting? That's corporate welfare as far as I'm concerned. If people understood how much we're paying to help them pay a living wage their crap wouldn't look so cheap anymore.

About countries, for me, it's about standard of living and quality of life. I hate exploitation and I won't reward it.

John

the hobby really isn't that worse off without them?

April 15th, 2018, 4:39 am #50

I understand where you're coming from, but to take your argument to it's logical conclusion, the same could said of plastic models. To tweak your quote a bit, "When in the hay day we had to carve the shapes from blocks of wood." Progress is always looked upon in both a positive and negative light. While there's nothing wrong with having to create your own details, many modelers don't have the skill to do that. Hence, the OOB category at contests. There is also the time consideration. Life is very busy these days. I want to be able to build as many models as I can with good detail. If I had to detail every single model, I wouldn't get near the production I'm able to. Same goes for engineering/fit. I love the Monogram F-14. I've built near 100 of them. But I'd take a Tamiya kit over the Monogram any day of the week because it simply falls together with literally no need for any putty. I love where we're at in modeling right now, and while I nostalgically will miss Revell/Monogram, the hobby really isn't that worse off without them. I liken it to Frog and Lindberg going away. Are they really missed except to relive our childhoods?
Really? I think the comparison to Frog/Lindberg though is a little off base. Revell/Monogram kits were years ahead of those kits

No Revell/Monogram..then none of these in 1/48

Kingfisher
F-80 - still better than hobby boss
F-86D
F-89
F-101B(KH still vaporware)
RF-101B
F-102
EA-6A
B-25H,J in all its variants
B-24D,J
B-17F/G
B-26
B-29
B-58
B-1B
A-26
DC-3
Ju-52
C-47 (still better and cheaper than trumpeter)
PBY Catalina
Curtiss Helldiver (Promodeler, not the older one)
Mercury/Gemini Capsules

None of these....

1/72 B-52D
1/72 B-36
1/72 Gato Submarine
1/72 Space Shuttle
1/72 Space Shuttle Stack
1/32 Apollo capsule
1/24 Gemini Capsule
1/40 Nike Missile
1/144 Mir
1/144 ISS
1/144 Shuttle/747 (although I guess one could piece from other kits)
1/24 Vostok

I'm sure I'm missing a few...

Builder of clean 3 footers, and the occasional 1 footer...