interests

April 15th, 2018, 2:05 am #31

Now I'm curious, what themes? n/t
1/32 WWII aircraft, WWI aircraft especially WNW
1/48 WWII aircraft
F1
WWII Armor
Star Wars(Bandai, Fine Molds)

currently working on a 1/9 Vincent Black Shadow, Eduard BF109f(all but done), Tamiya M4A3E8(all but done), Tamiya 1/20 MartiniPorsche 935, 1/32 WNW Sopwith Camel

I don't think I have a single Revell or Monogram kit at present. My last Revell purchase was either a N.O.S. Viking Long ship or a 1/144 U-Boat.

I built the long ship for my son as I had one when I was a kid and wanted him to have one. The Long ship is on his shelf.

I am a life time Tamiya enthusiast. When I was a kid in the 1970s these were the modeling tower on the hill. I look foreword still to every new Tamiya release whether I buy it or not.

+1

April 15th, 2018, 2:11 am #32

I'm against people taking advantage of each other.

John
+1
Remember the USS Liberty

If you do not buy foreign-made products from US firms...

April 15th, 2018, 2:21 am #33

It makes up at least 80% of my stash but I bought very little of it brand-new. The second-hand market doesn't send a dime their way, and probably gives the seller more funds to "upgrade" HIS stash to something OTHER than Monogram.

Once they moved production to China I was done buying anything new from them. Nothing against China or the Chinese people, more of a screw-you to the greedy Americans who sent the work overseas.

Recently the thought of them going bye-bye forever made me rethink things a little so I bought four Chinese-made kits which still makes me feel a little dirty. Up til then the only China-made kits I bought were "used" so I figured any damage had already been done. Even at that I bought very few of those.

I was surprised to find a few new US-made kits, not sure if they were actually made here now or old stock...the Do-335 and Kingfisher which I bought. Also bought a Polish-made F-102 with Wisconsin ANG markings.

For anyone who's curious the four Chinese ones are a T-6, SBD and two 109's. Maybe I should've been reading the new boxes sooner, my little chance to reward good behavior and punish bad, at least in my own mind.

I'm sort of an isolationist that way but it bothers me less to buy a new Tamiya kit than a Chinese Monogram. Tamiya's an Asian outfit and always was.

Where a company is based never mattered to me, it's where the physical work is done that matters to me. Asian companies employing Asian people I understand, American companies employing Asian people is just greed. It bothers me to reward greed.

(Edit: On that note, for the same reasons, if I "must" buy a Japanese kit I prefer Hasegawa kits to Tamiya. Tamiya kits are outsourced to The Philippines, I'm guessing for cheaper labor, while Hasegawa kits are made in Japan. Greed is greed anywhere.)

I wish the new Revell owners well, and will be looking forward to see how this all develops.

John
you must lead a very off-the-grid life.

I feel sorry for you. We must all make selections but not buying US company products produced overseas eventually impacts US-based businesses.

Will you by Revell GmbH kits produced in Poland? Even the old Revell/Mongram molds?

My three themes are...

April 15th, 2018, 2:36 am #34

Now I'm curious, what themes? n/t
1. Photo reconnaissance aircraft (ASAE, but prefer 1/48), since that is what I worked on while in the USAF.

2. Thai aircraft, military & civil, ASAE.

3. Thai armor in 1/35.

Larry

Interesting discussion, I have heard that Apple

April 15th, 2018, 2:39 am #35

I feel sorry for you. We must all make selections but not buying US company products produced overseas eventually impacts US-based businesses.

Will you by Revell GmbH kits produced in Poland? Even the old Revell/Mongram molds?
could not produce the I-phone in the US, for a number of reasons. Yet they buy up humongous freight space on FedEx A/c to get the things here. Yet if you drive up IIRC I-65 there is a tremendous Mercedes Benz plant there in Alabama, right in the middle of NASCAR country, so I guess Germany is exporting jobs here kind of like Apple is to China.
On the weird side the last Monogram (Revell) 1/48 OS2U I bought had the parts molded in the US but the box printed in China-go figure...
I think we all wish that Monogram could have made it on their own and gone up against the Japanese manufactures. Hasegawa & Tamiya have made a fortune redoing all the classic WW2 stuff that Monogram started on the early 60s. When they redid some stuff or newer stuff IMO it was really nice and affordable, like the SB2C, Me 410, He 111, etc.
I am sure the molds will live on like the Italari 1/48 SBD-3/5 (A/M) kits but knowing who made the kits originally and having it called another manufactures product is to me like seeing a P-51 described as a Boeing product since Boeing wound up with the North American (Rockwell)...
Last edited by pat9d on April 15th, 2018, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Something positive about Revell/Monogram

April 15th, 2018, 2:46 am #36

I buy my models and supplies without regard for where they are made. However, just because a product was made in China or the Philippines does not mean that someone in the U.S. where I live is not making some money or recovering some money. If I buy a Tamiya kit second hand, it was probably imported by Tamiya U.S.A., sold by an American retailer, then the owner decided to sell it on and get some of their money back from the original purchase. Half a dozen U.S. citizens at the minimum have participated in that economic chain from shippers, to stockers to retail stores and even the person selling at a loss is getting some money from their original purchase.

Our economy is way past where it was made, it is hard to buy anything in the hobby world that does not give economic benefit to people in the country where the item is purchased.

Even if my retailer is not local, I buy several times a year from Sprue Brothers, without the likes of Tamiya they would not have product to sell me.

Take revell for example and compare it to Tamiya, whether they make a revell kit in the U.S. or China it was generally not as nice of a kit to build as the Tamiya kit. I quit buying Revell in part because of quality but also their good stuff was Automotive and mainly american Muscle cars and my appetite for American muscle cars is very low. Monogram and Revell made some great car kits, but they were not to my longterm taste.

Revell and Monogram aircraft and military kits never grew on me because of their quality compared to what I could get from other companies.

I don't really care that much if Revell exists or not, I buy based upon what is available and what I am interested in. Plenty of Americans profit from my hobby purchases regardless of where the plastic is pushed through the machine or the name on the box it comes in.
I really have some good memories of old Revell Monogram. They made great ship kits. I can't tell you how many versions of the USS Consitution I built in the 70's.

They also made great car kits. I am not into American Cars that much but their 69 Camero and 427 Cobra were outstanding kits.

I think I built about every Revelll and Monogram ship kit from the constitution to the Bismark, Arizona, Washington class nuclear sub. I think I built them. all.

I got frustrated with their aricraft kits because back then I had no modeling skills and I would end up with a big seam running down the fuselage. I built the 1.48 B 29, the B-24 and most of the others at one time or another but in the end gave up on Revell Monogram because of that dreaded seam. The detail inside these 1/48 bombers even by todays standards is really pretty good.

The one I wanted most was the 1/32 Corsair. When I was a teenager I was dying for that one. I finally made it to K-Mart and got my Corsair.

When it comes to 60's American Cars Revell/Monogram is still the best game in town. I used to also enjoy their Nascar kits when I was a young racing fan.

Still times change, so does our hobby. If you are not up to the newest highest stardards then these companies are not going to last. Look at WNW, Mens, Takom, Zoukei Murra. There are lost of new companies bringing great new products to market.

Spot on. Amen! nt

April 15th, 2018, 2:46 am #37

I understand where you're coming from, but to take your argument to it's logical conclusion, the same could said of plastic models. To tweak your quote a bit, "When in the hay day we had to carve the shapes from blocks of wood." Progress is always looked upon in both a positive and negative light. While there's nothing wrong with having to create your own details, many modelers don't have the skill to do that. Hence, the OOB category at contests. There is also the time consideration. Life is very busy these days. I want to be able to build as many models as I can with good detail. If I had to detail every single model, I wouldn't get near the production I'm able to. Same goes for engineering/fit. I love the Monogram F-14. I've built near 100 of them. But I'd take a Tamiya kit over the Monogram any day of the week because it simply falls together with literally no need for any putty. I love where we're at in modeling right now, and while I nostalgically will miss Revell/Monogram, the hobby really isn't that worse off without them. I liken it to Frog and Lindberg going away. Are they really missed except to relive our childhoods?
nt

That's a great question...

April 15th, 2018, 3:17 am #38

First, about off the grid, yes. No cell phone, no credit/debit cards, still write checks and use stamps to pay my bills. I buy models at a brick hobby shop with green money.

About Poland, that's a great question! Obviously I'm torn a little on that one but I understand it to be an exploitive situation. I'd love to hear some real Poles' views on this.

John
I'm not retro, my stash got old. ~John Krukowski

Yeah, but are you still using tube glue? I saw your

April 15th, 2018, 3:21 am #39

log-in Love it!
Last edited by pat9d on April 15th, 2018, 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

I also own a 96 Cherokee

April 15th, 2018, 3:21 am #40

The Chevy is a '93 pickup, 25 years old this year and runs better than ever with 240,000 miles on it.

The Jeep is a '96 Cherokee, also with over 200 on it, bought it new and it still drives like new. Kid uses it now, for work.

Did I pass?

John
I didn't buy it new but I've had this one for over ten years. There's 194k on the clock. Before this one I had a 92 for twelve years. I've owned nothing but Jeeps since 94.

I apologize for straying off topic.

As to Monogram and Revell. They did not keep up with the overseas manufacturers. When Hasegawa and Tamiya were starting to become popular here Monogram and Revell just did not or could not compete. I don't know if it was the price of plastic, labor or equipment or all of the above but they just constantly lost ground to Japan.