I been talkin the talk...Vickers Tank Pt.1

I been talkin the talk...Vickers Tank Pt.1

August 18th, 2009, 4:11 am #1

Now it's time to walk the walk and actually contribute a Work In Progress! I'm trying my hand at the Airfix Vickers Mk.VI kit in 1'72 scale. The kit is a tiny jewel:

I'll build the Mk. VIc version, with the 15mm Besa machine gun, and the flat turret hatch. I drilled out the hatch opening to a more realistic size:

The kit antenna mount looks too clunky, so I filled in the mounting slot with the piece of .020 thou styrene card, and puttied in the rest, along with the oversized panel lines on the turret:

The gun mantlet looked too thick, so I sanded at least a millimetre - maybe more - off the back, and cut an equal amount of plastic off the rear of the bar holding the gun barrels:

I sanded off the mounting stub from the bottom of the turret hatch, cut it in two pieces, then used a motor tool to grind down the inside of the hatches to a more scale appearance:

She's coming along nicely so far...but I have to admit I have next to nothing for references on the Mk. VIc. I have a colour profile in an armour book, and all I could find on the Net was a grainy old photo:

Will post again soon!
Best...Ted...

August 18th, 2009, 4:27 am #2

My 11 year old loves Tanks. We will be watching your build with great interest. By the way, I LOVE the pic, however grainy it might be! CHEERS!

Andrew

August 18th, 2009, 12:09 pm #3

Now it's time to walk the walk and actually contribute a Work In Progress! I'm trying my hand at the Airfix Vickers Mk.VI kit in 1'72 scale. The kit is a tiny jewel:

I'll build the Mk. VIc version, with the 15mm Besa machine gun, and the flat turret hatch. I drilled out the hatch opening to a more realistic size:

The kit antenna mount looks too clunky, so I filled in the mounting slot with the piece of .020 thou styrene card, and puttied in the rest, along with the oversized panel lines on the turret:

The gun mantlet looked too thick, so I sanded at least a millimetre - maybe more - off the back, and cut an equal amount of plastic off the rear of the bar holding the gun barrels:

I sanded off the mounting stub from the bottom of the turret hatch, cut it in two pieces, then used a motor tool to grind down the inside of the hatches to a more scale appearance:

She's coming along nicely so far...but I have to admit I have next to nothing for references on the Mk. VIc. I have a colour profile in an armour book, and all I could find on the Net was a grainy old photo:

Will post again soon!
Best...Ted...
Another Airfix I've not seen Built Up,this is great to watch!
Keep Sticking!
Cheers, Pete

August 18th, 2009, 5:07 pm #4

Will post again soon!
Best...Ted...
I like the shot of the beat up tank in the bushes. You'll need to do lots of work to get that!

Really nicely done. It will be a great addition to the discussions.

Keep posting!!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA

August 18th, 2009, 5:41 pm #5

My 11 year old loves Tanks. We will be watching your build with great interest. By the way, I LOVE the pic, however grainy it might be! CHEERS!

Andrew
Yeah, me too. Hmmm. I've got an Airfix Centurion floating around the stash somewhere...maybe I'll build it sooner than I thought. You're right about the photos - dang - I'm having a time getting them right! Thanks for the comments!
Best...Ted...

August 18th, 2009, 5:45 pm #6

Another Airfix I've not seen Built Up,this is great to watch!
Keep Sticking!
Cheers, Pete
There WILL be more...if I don't go blind first. Sheesh - this kit is TINY. I keep dropping bits onto the carpet and spending valuable modelling time trolling the surface to find 'em again. I finally laid an old - white - towel on the floor. Cuts down on the search time considerably!
Best..Ted..

August 18th, 2009, 5:47 pm #7

I like the shot of the beat up tank in the bushes. You'll need to do lots of work to get that!

Really nicely done. It will be a great addition to the discussions.

Keep posting!!

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA
Thanks for the compliments! I never thought of the 'beat up' look. But give me time. This tank is fighting me already - I might reach for the hammer yet!
Best...Ted...

August 18th, 2009, 6:28 pm #8

Will post again soon!
Best...Ted...
If you can find this book, I recall it covers the Vickers to some extent.

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/0853683344

Note: I use that site as an example... I dont know how good or bad they are...

Neat model. I have never seen one built before!

August 18th, 2009, 8:52 pm #9

Will post again soon!
Best...Ted...
Vickers Light tank, I got 69,100 images in 0.08 seconds. Lots of good desert stuff.

This is in the Hyperscale galleries...

Thanks,
Allan

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

August 19th, 2009, 1:42 am #10

If you can find this book, I recall it covers the Vickers to some extent.

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/isbn/0853683344

Note: I use that site as an example... I dont know how good or bad they are...

Neat model. I have never seen one built before!
...I don't think I can go wrong with Zaloga, that's for sure. Thanks for the tip - I'll see if my local library, which actually has a great collection of air & armour books - has this one. I haven't been down there in a while, but this just might be the motivation I need.
Best...Ted...