I am returning to figure painting and have a question about appropriate oil colors

I am returning to figure painting and have a question about appropriate oil colors

James Reagan
James Reagan

February 26th, 2007, 3:17 am #1

It's been over 20 years snce I activley painted figurines. I used emamel and oils at that time. I used enamels as a base and oils for shading.
I am assembling a selecion of Windsor Newton Atists oils and would apprecaite your suggestions about which colors to select.I understand oils can be used over Acrylic paint.

My interest has always been Acients through the Dark Ages (476 AD to 1100 AD) I have a special interest in Greek, Roman, Persian, Egyptian, Barbarian, Anglo-Saxon, Vking and Norman subject. I will be working in 54mm,75mm, 90mm and 120mm

Your suggestions about painting
Bronze armor and equipment
chain mail.Lorica Sementa, etc.will be appreciated.

Also skin tones.and clothing for barbarians
THANKS
Jim Reagan

Dan
Dan

February 27th, 2007, 2:58 am #2

"Building and Painting Scale Figures."

It covers everything you want to know and more.

There's even one available on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Building-and-painti ... dZViewItem

(I'm not associated with the auction in any way).

John Wojak
John Wojak

February 27th, 2007, 6:09 pm #3

It's been over 20 years snce I activley painted figurines. I used emamel and oils at that time. I used enamels as a base and oils for shading.
I am assembling a selecion of Windsor Newton Atists oils and would apprecaite your suggestions about which colors to select.I understand oils can be used over Acrylic paint.

My interest has always been Acients through the Dark Ages (476 AD to 1100 AD) I have a special interest in Greek, Roman, Persian, Egyptian, Barbarian, Anglo-Saxon, Vking and Norman subject. I will be working in 54mm,75mm, 90mm and 120mm

Your suggestions about painting
Bronze armor and equipment
chain mail.Lorica Sementa, etc.will be appreciated.

Also skin tones.and clothing for barbarians
THANKS
Jim Reagan
I have just started painting larger figures (90mm, 120mm) after many years of planes and armor, and believe it or not, what got me into them is that my son collects Citadel/Games Workshop Lord of the Rings figures (which I guess are about 1/48 scale), and I have gotten to enjoy painting them with him and have developed a lot of new painting skills that way. Which of course led to my wanting to try some larger figures, like Warriors or Verlinden knights, etc. But enough rambling, my point is that my figure painting with my son on his Games Workshop figures was done with Games Workshop/Citadel acrylics, which are really terrific once you get past the names (snot green, bleached bone, vomit brown, rotting flesh, etc.). They have an excellent range of metallics covering bronze, tin, brass, several brightnesses of gold and three different silver colors which can be layered to create impressive ranges of wear, weathering and hilights on armor, etc. Plus, they have a range about 5 flesh tones for shadow and hilighting, and special acrylic inks in many colors including chestnut, brown and dark flesh which make great detail pin washes. I have used them on some large figures and been very happy with the results.

John Wojak
John Wojak

February 27th, 2007, 6:13 pm #4

Plus, being acrylic, they clean up easily and have no smell. Their faster drying time means you can handle things quicker, and once you get used to them the faster drying time doesn't really make drybrushing any harder.