I actually enjoyed building the USS Wasp.....

I actually enjoyed building the USS Wasp.....

July 3rd, 2012, 4:16 am #1

I was thinking of doing that new USS Freedom to go along side of it. However, not really being much of a "ship guy", I dunno where to look for a build article. Can anyone steer me to the right course?

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

July 3rd, 2012, 4:32 am #2

July 3rd, 2012, 5:51 am #3

July 3rd, 2012, 11:34 am #4

Bruno's photos of his build show it must be kickin' his butt. Maybe its having to work to a magazine deadline.

I have the Dragon kit. Its going together well, but lots of small individual pieces. Separate comm boxes at about 1/16 cube? Some parts, like the whip antenna mounts have little surface area to glue - consider pinning them for strength

The trick is to work slowly and methodically and take a break when it gets too tedious.

I'm working mine as the Forth Worth, going to contact the friend who runs Hawk Graphics decals to get the low-viz numbers and name. Maybe add the city of Fort Worth's flag with Molly the Longhorn cow
Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you’re shit.

July 3rd, 2012, 12:42 pm #5

And yes, about 13.4 inches with the sponson/ballast tanks on the back, per 2010 fitment. Just under 13 "as built 2008".

The ship does require vast amounts of attention and dealing with microscopic parts. The things that I assume are loudspeakers are absolutely tiny and round. Try keeping them in the tweezers! A large number of parts were just easier to build with a few inches of the sprue still attached. At least then you had something to hang on to. Some of the other parts required a ball of Blu Tac on a toothpick or something like that.

Without a time limit, and one minor heart attack, and two grandkids we had to save from their mother, I wouldn't have as many "OOPS" on the ship but I still would have had to fabricate parts that vanished to the great beyond. More than a few errors were the "HEY GRANDPA!!!" and that was that. Part is gone, railing bent, or glue where it doesn't belong. All for some question about a Transformer? Oh well, family life is life none the less. It's just hard to concentrate with an 8 and 10 year old romping around. I'd lock the door but it isn't soundproof so it wouldn't help much.

Besides, the one thing I didn't include in the move was an AC unit for the hobby room. I only have two windows in there. One is in front of the bench for natural light and one has a mini spray booth in it for the summer. No room for an AC unit. So I sort of depend on that cool breeze from the living room to remain firm enough not to puddle in my chair. We have had an almost endless series of 90-100 degree days recently and it's not looking good for the future either. I may actually have to think about an AC unit or start working in the dining room. SWMBO wouldn't like that. But I would!! Well, except for an 8 and 10 year old going "Whatcha doin' Grandpa?" and "You know, that would look really cool with a plasma mega blaster mounted just about here!!!"

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

July 3rd, 2012, 6:04 pm #6

I was thinking of doing that new USS Freedom to go along side of it. However, not really being much of a "ship guy", I dunno where to look for a build article. Can anyone steer me to the right course?

of all the people I know who HAVE that kit, YOU are the only one to TACKLE that kit. And that says something! Me? I am gonna wait until they decomm her, and THEN find a reason not to build her!!!!

Bruno has done a running battle with the USS Freedom, boy, he has guts! 1) the darn thing is butt-ugglee!!! and 2) wiper blades in 350? PASS.....

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

July 3rd, 2012, 7:26 pm #7

Figured I'd do just one more and the Freedom sounded like it fit the bill. Besides, I wanted something to complement the Wasp (and in the same scale) and the bottom shelf of the entertainment center looks like it should have another ship in there. Too much "empty" behind those glass doors with just ONE ship model.
Thanks for the words of encouragement - I'll probably need all I can get if I understand Bruno correctly. By the way, Bruno....if you lose any 1/350th scale wiper blades - and you actually WANT 'em replaced so you can try again - lemme know in a few days...you can have the ones in MY kit. And I don't HAVE any "distractions" - well...not really.

July 4th, 2012, 12:11 pm #8

The missing two blades were replaced with bits of scrap PE and look about the same as the others. Or close enough for me. I liked the ship but the photoetch was sort of a let down, too soft and etched weirdly with free floating railings all over the place. All the tiny plastic parts were a pain to work with. But it can be built and it looks super when done.

I've only seen one other Wasp finished. It's a very impressive kit and just finishing one is worth bragging about! Yours looks sweet!

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.