August 10th, 2018, 1:19 am #31

"You need to go to a wargaming convention sometime.  IPMS shows are a day at Ascot by comparison."

Thanks for the head up!
Scott Copeland

August 10th, 2018, 2:14 am #32

skjohn98 wrote:
Sky King wrote: Perhaps IPMS should adopt an "odor policy" and "smell check" for admission to regional and national events (and probably some chapter meetings as well). Even a reminder about hygiene in the convention materials might be a good idea. As ridiculous as this may sound, there are people who apparently don't have a clue or don't care how offensive their stink is to the other attendees.
Mike, who in the world would volunteer to be the “checker”😳
There are "odor checker" devices; the gas companies use them to detect leaks. I thought I had a natural gas leak in my house once and called the gas company; they sent a guy with such a device, but the odor turned out to be coming from the kitchen garbage can. Perhaps these devices could be re-calibrated for human body odors! Come to think of it, that sounds like a great opportunity for a tech-minded entrepreneur to create "StinkAlert." Just think of the money that could be made from all the conventions of all kinds of groups. I'm sure modelers and gamers are not the only ones with the problem of smelly attendees.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

August 10th, 2018, 2:46 am #33

skjohn98 wrote:
Sky King wrote: Perhaps IPMS should adopt an "odor policy" and "smell check" for admission to regional and national events (and probably some chapter meetings as well). Even a reminder about hygiene in the convention materials might be a good idea. As ridiculous as this may sound, there are people who apparently don't have a clue or don't care how offensive their stink is to the other attendees.
Mike, who in the world would volunteer to be the “checker”😳
I know someone who has a very keen sense of smell and has attended the last six conventions, save Phoenix.  I sometimes think they could substitute for the dog checking for forbidden food at the airport customs Dept of Ag desk. I'm not sure they would take the job as "sniffer" though.

August 10th, 2018, 10:34 pm #34

If the bird dies , you don't get in !

I just like airplanes

August 11th, 2018, 12:33 pm #35

ResinPrince wrote: I have been trying recently to keep an open container of mints on my table. Some need them.

Nevermind

August 13th, 2018, 4:58 am #36

"I've seen the younger generation....." Exact happened to me in '95. Sm one story work office in a pretty nice mixed use neighborhood. A bunch of us working a weekend evening. The youngest of the bunch, a 20 yr old college/Summer intern, gets a cell phone call (cellphones like/as amazin' as Dick Tracy wrist radios to me in the mid 90s) gets up from his desk and goes to the ft door, 20 feet away. Comes back w/ a paper bag, his dinner or something. I ask, who was at the door? His gf. More importantly, HOW did he know to GO to the ft door???? His gf called from the ft door! Called him from the FRONT door? Why didn't she just ring the door bell, knock? Puzzled smile back.

About the first time I can recall feeling older, not getting 'it'. And I was only about ten yrs older than the kid. I don't get people taking pics of their lunch either! Maybe she/he didn't wanna bother the rest of us. Maybe she was shy about coming face-face w/ a stranger. Whatever. No harm done in the end of course. He was a real nice smart guy who became a good friend. That gf of his is way old history btw. 

August 21st, 2018, 11:31 pm #37

I was at a show a week and a half ago and remember thinking that it had been a long time since I'd encountered a smelly guy at a show. Maybe over the years I've learned to recognize the look of a potential odiferous emminator and unconsciously avoid them. But if you think a model show is bad, try being on the starting line of a 5 or 10k road race on a summer weekend.