Hump Happy C-87

January 18th, 2018, 4:14 am #1

Hello,

Here is a conversion of the Academy/Minicraft 1/144 B-24J into a C-87.  The C-87 was a cargo version of the B-24D.  It had a rather poor reputation, in part due to numerous crashes while flying “the Hump”.  The nose art is “Hump Happy”.

The conversion required modifying the nose to a shorter solid piece and adding many windows.  The gun turrets are gone.  The tail has been modified and corrected.  The canopy has been replaced.

If I can fix some of the problems that popped up in this build, this conversion may be released by Muroc Models.  The issues included the vertical fins being angled too far back and the kit sitting tail high due to long main gear struts.  The 7 grams of weight I put in the nose was not quite enough to make it sit on its nose wheel (In the pictures the model is sitting on a down-slope to make it sit properly).  You can see that a second test build is under way with the cargo door opened up.

Happy 2018

David
Muroc Models IMGP2569a.jpg IMGP2553a.jpg IMGP2560a.jpg
Last edited by pidip on June 27th, 2018, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

I love a good conversion.

January 18th, 2018, 4:36 pm #2

Therefore I love your C-87.

I symnpathise with your nose weight conundrum.
Been there, done that too many times.
How about making room in that solid nose for fishing weights?

Did you do your own decals, and if not, where did you get them?

OK, quiz time's over.
I hope you release a kit of this conversion, and announce it here.
Because it's a cool idea, and I like it.

Jim
Not everything had changed, only the important stuff. - Charles Stross

Tail Sitters and Decals

January 19th, 2018, 3:11 am #3

Hello,

The "solid" nose is hollow and filled with lead weights. If you have kids or pets around I would suggest something less hazardous than lead. In the second test build I am using about 20 grams and using all the area forward of the wing.

The decals were printed using a wax transfer printer made about 20 years ago by ALPS.

Thanks

David
Muroc Models

Nice Conversion!

January 19th, 2018, 2:25 pm #4

It looks really nice David. I do hope you consider offering it as a kit. Last year I did one (C-87) for a group build here in the 1/144 section:

C-87 info

January 20th, 2018, 1:58 am #5

Hello,

Here is a conversion of the Academy/Minicraft 1/144 B-24J into a C-87. The C-87 was a cargo version of the B-24D. It had a rather poor reputation, in part due to numerous crashes while flying “the Hump”. The nose art is “Hump Happy”.

The conversion required modifying the nose to a shorter solid piece and adding many windows. The gun turrets are gone. The tail has been modified and corrected. The canopy has been replaced.

If I can fix some of the problems that popped up in this build, this conversion may be released by Muroc Models. The issues included the vertical fins being angled too far back and the kit sitting tail high due to long main gear struts. The 7 grams of weight I put in the nose was not quite enough to make it sit on its nose wheel (In the pictures the model is sitting on a down-slope to make it sit properly). You can see that a second test build is under way with the cargo door opened up.

Happy 2018

David
Muroc Models

David, I have LOTS of information and photos on the C-87 that I have been gathering for Volume 3 of Consolidated Mess. It was going to be in Volume 2 but the amount of information on the glassnoses has proven to be so overwhelming that the C-87 has to go into Vol 3.

Drop me a note and how to reach you by phone and we can talk about all this and what you may need for this mod. I've always thought that 1/144th was the perfect scale for the B-24 series of aircraft done correctly, both price and size-wise.

Hope to hear from you.

AlanG

AlanG

January 21st, 2018, 1:21 am #6

Please contact me.
Loren Pike
jbklb@dybb.com
Loren Pike

Great Job on this C-87

January 21st, 2018, 5:17 am #7

It looks really nice David. I do hope you consider offering it as a kit. Last year I did one (C-87) for a group build here in the 1/144 section:

Hello,

This looks great. Did you start with the Minicraft/Academy kit as well?

David

I think I am also interested

January 21st, 2018, 8:29 pm #8

Hello,

Here is a conversion of the Academy/Minicraft 1/144 B-24J into a C-87. The C-87 was a cargo version of the B-24D. It had a rather poor reputation, in part due to numerous crashes while flying “the Hump”. The nose art is “Hump Happy”.

The conversion required modifying the nose to a shorter solid piece and adding many windows. The gun turrets are gone. The tail has been modified and corrected. The canopy has been replaced.

If I can fix some of the problems that popped up in this build, this conversion may be released by Muroc Models. The issues included the vertical fins being angled too far back and the kit sitting tail high due to long main gear struts. The 7 grams of weight I put in the nose was not quite enough to make it sit on its nose wheel (In the pictures the model is sitting on a down-slope to make it sit properly). You can see that a second test build is under way with the cargo door opened up.

Happy 2018

David
Muroc Models

This is a clever way to turn the Academy B-24 into a nicer model on the shelves

... and no gun turrets to worry about

I will follow this with great interest - please indeed keep us updated

And thanks for the building tips so far - the finished one looks very fine - and the WIP shows a nice resin tooling

William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories / Plastic Gatherings

1/72 - Choroszy Modelbud - LWS 4 Zubr : Part I - Part II - Part III (incl. Scale World 2016 show report)
1/72 - Airfix - TBD-1 Devastator : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV
1/72 - Airfix - North American F-51D Mustang : Part I - Part II

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

June 27th, 2018, 12:39 am #9

Hello,
I finally finished the second test build for the C-87.  It has a natural metal finish using Tamiya and Alclad.  There are many B&W photos of this airframe, as it was featured in a Life photo essay.  The rudders may have been some color other than olive drab, but that was my best guess.  The national insignia have a darker blue outline.  The cargo doors have been cut out and a floor and bulkheads scratch-built.

The conversion has been released.  The conversion contains the following resin parts; fuselage halves, tripod, tail bumper, elevators, tail, antenna, pitots, cargo doors, tail fins, rudders, cowlings and motors.  There is a vacuformed canopy and a tail window.  The decal sheet has 4 different aircraft.  I can be contacted directly at newmanispwest at yahoo dot com.

David
Muroc Models

IMGP2955a.jpg IMGP2964a.jpg IMGP2975a.jpg

June 27th, 2018, 2:06 am #10

Nice job on those doors!  And I like the rest of it too.  :-)

Did you build the stand that holds the tail up?  I like that too.

And I can see the pictures too.

Jim
Not everything had changed, only the important stuff. - Charles Stross