Humbrol enamel number 11 - what the "beep" has happened?

Humbrol enamel number 11 - what the "beep" has happened?

January 4th, 2014, 11:57 am #1

Why, why oh WHY Humbrol has done something weird with theit trustworthy enamel colour number 11 (Silver). It´s no longer fine & shiny silver - it´s allmost the same colour as Humbrol 56 (matt aluminium). What´s the point here?

January 4th, 2014, 2:21 pm #2

Happens now and then. Or you got an old can, etc. When I ran my shop and ordered paint I could order 10 boxes of tinlets and get 9 brand new boxes and 1 box that looked like it had sat on the shelf 20 years...

You could also contact Hornby/Humbrol and ask them if anything has changed. They have very good customer service.

January 4th, 2014, 6:10 pm #3

Why, why oh WHY Humbrol has done something weird with theit trustworthy enamel colour number 11 (Silver). It´s no longer fine & shiny silver - it´s allmost the same colour as Humbrol 56 (matt aluminium). What´s the point here?
problems have also recently been reported with the new Humbrol Luftwaffe enamels; there's been some talk about them on Britmodeller. Seems there's not enough pigment in them, and they are very transparent.

Sounds like Humbrol has some new quality control issues to address. Shame.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

January 4th, 2014, 6:21 pm #4

plus the exploding paint tin issue.

January 4th, 2014, 6:43 pm #5

and never personally had a quality issue with Humbrol paints in 50 years of using them.

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Last edited by Sky King on January 4th, 2014, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

January 4th, 2014, 7:37 pm #6

OR, how long may your retailer have had it??? The reason I ask is because Humbrol pulled their paint production out of China due to lack of consistency. It's all back in the UK now and with better quality control.

It's possible you may have purchased a bottle that had been produced in China. I suggest purchasing from another source and see if you get similar results or better. You may have just been unfortunate in getting older Chinese production.

I believe in god and the only thing that scares me,,,,,,is Keyser Soze.

January 4th, 2014, 8:38 pm #7

and never personally had a quality issue with Humbrol paints in 50 years of using them.

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Always liked Humbrols and the way the matt ones dry dead flat!If the new ones are "transparent" it could boil down to the fact that they're made for airbrushing...if they're not made for airbrushing then they'll be airbrush-friendly...if you don't have an airbrush buy one..if you cannot afford one buy thicker paints...as easy as that!
Exploding tins?Sounds like a job for the Mythbusters!There may be some air trapped inside and that could dislodge the cap....when shaking them tinlets I always wrap them in a tissue AND PRESS the thumb on the cap but...exloding ones?Is that paint or a concoction of toluene and Vithavuori 3N38 smokeless gun powder?Aw...c'mon!

January 4th, 2014, 8:58 pm #8

I haven't been pleased with Humbrol 11 recently either. This is a fairly new tin, labled "Made in UK".

In addition to not being as shiny as the 11 of old, this batch dries fairly quickly, just like 56. For all I can tell, it's the same paint as 56 labeled as 11.

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

January 4th, 2014, 9:10 pm #9

OR, how long may your retailer have had it??? The reason I ask is because Humbrol pulled their paint production out of China due to lack of consistency. It's all back in the UK now and with better quality control.

It's possible you may have purchased a bottle that had been produced in China. I suggest purchasing from another source and see if you get similar results or better. You may have just been unfortunate in getting older Chinese production.

I believe in god and the only thing that scares me,,,,,,is Keyser Soze.
They have moved it back to the UK but they might be having a few teething problems.

January 4th, 2014, 9:45 pm #10

I've had the same problem, n/t