HU-16/CSR-110 Update 1/4

HU-16/CSR-110 Update 1/4

Pat Earing
Pat Earing

January 5th, 2011, 2:12 am #1

Well, I've made some progress on fiddly stuff over the past few days.

First, I mounted the engines and got the intakes for the Canadian version attached. It was a fight, but I have WON!

Also, please note that I read an interesting account of harrowing stack fires and such with these planes and got a confirmation about how the exhaust pipes 'were' on the CSR-110 version of the Albatross. This is my best interpretation, and sorry that the images are so poor-these are a single stack set up.

Looking over some references and online walkarounds that I have found I realized that RVHP had omitted several important holes in and around the main landing gear area. The large hole at the rear edge of the wheel bay is a large drain, as the wheel wells are not sealed and fill with water during water operations. This I drilled out on both sides with an appropriate bit all the way through into the interior... I hope I don't rue that decision because of 'light' issues.

Behind that hole, on the face of the step is another smaller hole-again, an additional drain for the wheel bays, that I added on both sides.

And centered on each side just to the rear of the step are the outlets for those large wheelbay holes. These I sleeved with styrene tubing that was capped. Strictly speaking, these were oval in shape, but some hills are not worth dying on in my book...

Those finished I realized that there is a cooling door on the rear-most 'opening' underneath the nacels that again are not referenced/acknowledged/or otherwise provided for by RVHP. If I sound harsh, well, for this kind of money I guess I expected more (especially with a mainstream injection molded kit on the horizon... rant over!) For these I used some left over 1/32 brass that I cut and shaped, adding an actuation rod.

Finally, I added the tiedown point on the aft fuselage.

I still have a nuber of antenne and bits to add, but most of the detail bits are on. I need to permantly afix the tail, and look at the landing gear before I do a final application of primer. Things are getting closer to paint. Some of the bigger antenne will wait until after paint, as I will just knock them off a dozen times masking and decaling.

Cheers

Pat

Gil Hodges
Gil Hodges

January 5th, 2011, 7:32 am #2

That's all starting to come together quite nicely. Excellent detail work with the brass!

Pat Earing
Pat Earing

January 5th, 2011, 9:21 am #3

automotive Lacquer-especially on resin as it 'bites' and I don't have adhesion problems. I cut it with regular old Lacquer thinner. For plastic, I have found that as long as I don't spray really thick, I don't have etching/crazing issues (with the plastic melting...) Its what I know and love. Builds thick coats fast and fills (!!!!) scratches and imperfections beautifully! Also gives me a 'hard' stably painting surface.

Cheers

Pat

January 5th, 2011, 2:46 pm #4

First, I mounted the engines and got the intakes for the Canadian version attached. It was a fight, but I have WON!

Also, please note that I read an interesting account of harrowing stack fires and such with these planes and got a confirmation about how the exhaust pipes 'were' on the CSR-110 version of the Albatross. This is my best interpretation, and sorry that the images are so poor-these are a single stack set up.

Looking over some references and online walkarounds that I have found I realized that RVHP had omitted several important holes in and around the main landing gear area. The large hole at the rear edge of the wheel bay is a large drain, as the wheel wells are not sealed and fill with water during water operations. This I drilled out on both sides with an appropriate bit all the way through into the interior... I hope I don't rue that decision because of 'light' issues.

Behind that hole, on the face of the step is another smaller hole-again, an additional drain for the wheel bays, that I added on both sides.

And centered on each side just to the rear of the step are the outlets for those large wheelbay holes. These I sleeved with styrene tubing that was capped. Strictly speaking, these were oval in shape, but some hills are not worth dying on in my book...

Those finished I realized that there is a cooling door on the rear-most 'opening' underneath the nacels that again are not referenced/acknowledged/or otherwise provided for by RVHP. If I sound harsh, well, for this kind of money I guess I expected more (especially with a mainstream injection molded kit on the horizon... rant over!) For these I used some left over 1/32 brass that I cut and shaped, adding an actuation rod.

I still have a nuber of antenne and bits to add, but most of the detail bits are on. I need to permantly afix the tail, and look at the landing gear before I do a final application of primer. Things are getting closer to paint. Some of the bigger antenne will wait until after paint, as I will just knock them off a dozen times masking and decaling.

Cheers

Pat
I'm lovin' your build!
I wish I had the money to get on of those... and it's your fault!
I can't wait to see it finished..

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

January 5th, 2011, 7:10 pm #5

Cheers

Pat
But why don;t you put a short capped sleeve in the large drain holes going into the fuselage and paint the interior of the sleeve black or dark grey, it would give the illusion of the drain disappearing into the hull and you wouldn't have to worry about any "light issues" She's looking good all the same!

January 5th, 2011, 11:39 pm #6

Cheers

Pat
I really am enjoying watching you tackle this bird. Been taking notes for when I build mine.
Hub

Any day above ground is a good one!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!!!
If anything in the above post offends you, I suggest you grow a thicker skin!

Pat Earing
Pat Earing

January 6th, 2011, 2:34 am #7

But why don;t you put a short capped sleeve in the large drain holes going into the fuselage and paint the interior of the sleeve black or dark grey, it would give the illusion of the drain disappearing into the hull and you wouldn't have to worry about any "light issues" She's looking good all the same!
have anything that size in my stash... and I am ten million miles from a hobbyshop (okay, 3.5 hours, but you get my drift...) We barely get mail up here in northern Wisconsin.

Great suggestion though-thanks for taking the time.

Pat

January 6th, 2011, 5:19 pm #8

I see your point!