How to tell a F6F-3 from a F6F-5 (early)?

How to tell a F6F-3 from a F6F-5 (early)?

June 17th, 2017, 8:00 am #1

I thought that the difference between -3 and -5 was the the deletion of the window behind the pilot in the -5 but I misread the caption in my book and the window was deleted during -5 production so if it is not there the plane must be a -5 but is there a way to tell the earlier -5 from -3?

June 17th, 2017, 8:06 am #2

All F6F-5s left the factory in all over GSB paint. The window behind the pilot was retained in early -5 production. The area visible through the window should be primer gray (Grumman Gray).

Hope this helps!

June 17th, 2017, 11:07 am #3

I thought that the difference between -3 and -5 was the the deletion of the window behind the pilot in the -5 but I misread the caption in my book and the window was deleted during -5 production so if it is not there the plane must be a -5 but is there a way to tell the earlier -5 from -3?
Hard to see in pics, but the 5 has fewer cowl flaps on the bottom. Also, the 5 doesn't have the small bumps on the side at the rear of the cowl.

June 17th, 2017, 12:13 pm #4

to the -5. As the -3 production moved along, the lower cowling flaps were deleted, then the side bulges were removed. Well before the time production switched to the -5, the cowling on the -3 was similar or the very same as the -5. The Kagero Vol. 10 on the Hellcat indicates it started with "Copies 1501-..." (BuNo?). I don't have the numbers at the ready, but at least a large percentage of the -3s had this later cowl design.

Other changes included new arrangement of wing panels, aileron balance and trim tabs on each wing. The Kagero book indicates that the late -3s ("Copies series from 3451") had rocket stubs as standard equipment. That's a new one on me. I don't recall seeing any in service photographs with these on -3s.

HTH,
Dwayne

June 17th, 2017, 1:44 pm #5

Also some F6F-3 N's had the -5 style windscreennt nt

June 17th, 2017, 2:39 pm #6

Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

I really don't care, do U?

June 17th, 2017, 3:42 pm #7

exit under the wing centersection, used to reduce drag in this area. IIRC Hasegawa gives this in their 1/48 kit. You can see it under the wing snuggled up against the fuselage in this photo ( behind the bomb rack and above the circular access plate.)

[/IMG]
Last edited by pat9d on June 17th, 2017, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 17th, 2017, 4:34 pm #8

to the -5. As the -3 production moved along, the lower cowling flaps were deleted, then the side bulges were removed. Well before the time production switched to the -5, the cowling on the -3 was similar or the very same as the -5. The Kagero Vol. 10 on the Hellcat indicates it started with "Copies 1501-..." (BuNo?). I don't have the numbers at the ready, but at least a large percentage of the -3s had this later cowl design.

Other changes included new arrangement of wing panels, aileron balance and trim tabs on each wing. The Kagero book indicates that the late -3s ("Copies series from 3451") had rocket stubs as standard equipment. That's a new one on me. I don't recall seeing any in service photographs with these on -3s.

HTH,
Dwayne
[/IMG]

June 17th, 2017, 7:19 pm #9

exit under the wing centersection, used to reduce drag in this area. IIRC Hasegawa gives this in their 1/48 kit. You can see it under the wing snuggled up against the fuselage in this photo ( behind the bomb rack and above the circular access plate.)

[/IMG]
It seems a bit more complicated than I imagined. Not really a problem I suppose; I need to study photos more carefully!

June 17th, 2017, 7:43 pm #10

All F6F-5s left the factory in all over GSB paint. The window behind the pilot was retained in early -5 production. The area visible through the window should be primer gray (Grumman Gray).

Hope this helps!
For many years I too thought that all -5 were painted GSB from the factory. Then I was confronted with Bruce Williams' "White 25". How do you explain that?

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/osprey- ... 1460293284