how to add italics etc

how to add italics etc

March 8th, 2012, 2:28 am #1

How do you add bold type, italics etc to a forum posting? Can't see anywhere to do it, and copy pasting from notepad removes it.

Cheers
Joe
Last edited by bulmer69 on March 8th, 2012, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 8th, 2012, 6:06 pm #2

HTML tags work, for bold use your text minus the spaces which gives your text and for italics it is either your text or your text minus the spaces, giving you your text as well as your text.

HTH

Jens

Information not shared is information lost.

1/87er, die feinmotorisch flinke Elite des Modellbaus.

http://www.scalemodelteam.de

March 8th, 2012, 8:59 pm #3

How do you add bold type, italics etc to a forum posting? Can't see anywhere to do it, and copy pasting from notepad removes it.

Cheers
Joe
Look around this site for HTML basics:

http://html-basics.com/

March 8th, 2012, 11:04 pm #4

Cheers
Joe
Different websites use different dialects of HTML ("HyperText Markup Language"), so I'll answer your question by providing some examples that apply specifically to Network54 discussion boards (e.g., Hyperscale's) and then I'll toss in a general hint.

Here on Network54, one makes a word bold, italic, underlined, etc., by: (1) typing a short code in angled brackets before the word, to turn the "style" you want on; and then (2) typing another short code in angled brackets to turn the "style" off, so that subsequent words will appear in plain text. Unfortunately, I can't show you any angled brackets in this message, because Network54 would interpret them as indicating HTML codes. Therefore, in this message I'll type a left or right square bracket ("[" or "]") to indicate thet you should type instead a left or right angled bracket, which appears as the shift character on the comma or period key of your keyboard, respectively.

OK, here we go. Keeping in mind the bracket substitutions I described above:

To make the word "word" appear bold, type "word" (without quotation marks), thereby yielding word when you preview or post your message.

To make the word "word" appear in italics, type "word" (without quotation marks), thereby yielding word when you preview or post your message.

To make the word "word" appear underlined, type "word" (without quotation marks), thereby yielding word when you preview or post your message.

To make the word "word" strikethrough, type "word" (without quotation marks), thereby yielding <s>word</s> when you preview or post your message.

See the pattern?

You also can combine these codes -- for example, to make the word "word" both bold and italic, type either "word" or "word" (without quotation marks), thereby yielding word when you preview or post your message.

Now for the general hint. If you see a stylistic feature in a message here on Hyperscale that you'd like to imitate, look at the message's HTML code to see how it was done! You can accomplish this when the message is open by selecting your browser's "View Source" menu item, which appears on the "View" menu in Safari but may have a slightly different name and/or may appear on a different menu with other browsers. I recommend that you do that now and try to identify the codes I've used to produce the bold, italic, etc. versions of the word "word" above. After you've completed that lesson, then I urge you also to try to identify the code that I used to produce this link to Hyperscale's main page.

Charles Metz

-----------

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been.
Last edited by Charles_Metz on March 9th, 2012, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 8th, 2012, 11:52 pm #5

your message, so don't know how to get there.....hmmmm...need more lessons I guess LOL at least I got part of it! Just need to figure out the codes!
AND it looks funny in the title line! LOL And when previewed the code in the title line isn't there it is italicized but not when posted? hmmm...more lessons required!!!
Old Digger Pilot
Last edited by do-bee on March 9th, 2012, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 9th, 2012, 12:07 am #6

Different websites use different dialects of HTML ("HyperText Markup Language"), so I'll answer your question by providing some examples that apply specifically to Network54 discussion boards (e.g., Hyperscale's) and then I'll toss in a general hint.

Here on Network54, one makes a word bold, italic, underlined, etc., by: (1) typing a short code in angled brackets before the word, to turn the "style" you want on; and then (2) typing another short code in angled brackets to turn the "style" off, so that subsequent words will appear in plain text. Unfortunately, I can't show you any angled brackets in this message, because Network54 would interpret them as indicating HTML codes. Therefore, in this message I'll type a left or right square bracket ("[" or "]") to indicate thet you should type instead a left or right angled bracket, which appears as the shift character on the comma or period key of your keyboard, respectively.

OK, here we go. Keeping in mind the bracket substitutions I described above:

To make the word "word" appear bold, type "word" (without quotation marks), thereby yielding word when you preview or post your message.

To make the word "word" appear in italics, type "word" (without quotation marks), thereby yielding word when you preview or post your message.

To make the word "word" appear underlined, type "word" (without quotation marks), thereby yielding word when you preview or post your message.

To make the word "word" strikethrough, type "word" (without quotation marks), thereby yielding <s>word</s> when you preview or post your message.

See the pattern?

You also can combine these codes -- for example, to make the word "word" both bold and italic, type either "word" or "word" (without quotation marks), thereby yielding word when you preview or post your message.

Now for the general hint. If you see a stylistic feature in a message here on Hyperscale that you'd like to imitate, look at the message's HTML code to see how it was done! You can accomplish this when the message is open by selecting your browser's "View Source" menu item, which appears on the "View" menu in Safari but may have a slightly different name and/or may appear on a different menu with other browsers. I recommend that you do that now and try to identify the codes I've used to produce the bold, italic, etc. versions of the word "word" above. After you've completed that lesson, then I urge you also to try to identify the code that I used to produce this link to Hyperscale's main page.

Charles Metz

-----------

Lately it occurs to me
Old Digger Pilot
Last edited by do-bee on March 9th, 2012, 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 9th, 2012, 12:33 am #7

n/t

Charles Metz

-----------

Lately it occurs to me

March 9th, 2012, 3:08 am #8

Cheers
Joe
seems to work

March 9th, 2012, 4:53 am #9

n/t

Charles Metz

-----------

Lately it occurs to me

March 9th, 2012, 4:55 am #10