How do you guys keep your paint job from getting beat up during final assembly/decaling?

How do you guys keep your paint job from getting beat up during final assembly/decaling?

July 16th, 2017, 8:07 pm #1

Seems like no matter how careful I am, I always manage to paint chipping and/or similiar damage to those high-wear arease like the bottom of the fuselage or leading/trailing edges of wings/stabilizers. Are any of you successful at preventing this? Would love to hear how you do it! TIA

One thing I do

July 16th, 2017, 8:54 pm #2

Is that once a kit starts getting paint is it is always placed on an bit of old cotton t-shirt or is always between the build and whatever surface its resting on. I also try to keep the points of contact that I pick up and hold the kit by limited and in easy spots to touch up.
Last edited by type99 on July 16th, 2017, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Couple of things....

July 16th, 2017, 9:55 pm #3

Seems like no matter how careful I am, I always manage to paint chipping and/or similiar damage to those high-wear arease like the bottom of the fuselage or leading/trailing edges of wings/stabilizers. Are any of you successful at preventing this? Would love to hear how you do it! TIA
.... once the paint is on, before decals or fiddly bits, a good gloss coat of lacquer, soft cotton (T-shirt, etc.) over a foam cradle, and white cotton gloves are a must. (My perspiration/finger oils will strip epoxy paint!). HTH

Let me guess...

July 16th, 2017, 10:44 pm #4

Are you using a water- or alcohol-based acrylic? That's the main reason why I switched to a lacquer-based paint several years ago and haven't looked back. Also, I always use a good lacquer primer.

Stuart

Thanks for the feedback guys!

July 17th, 2017, 11:38 am #5

I'll be trying some of your suggestions!

Allow the paint to thoroughly dry/cure before handling.

July 17th, 2017, 1:45 pm #6

Then use cotton gloves to handle. If you can still smell paint, it ain't thoroughly dry/cured.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!