How do you decide to arm your planes?

How do you decide to arm your planes?

August 18th, 2012, 8:47 pm #1

When it comes time to start hanging stuff under the wings, how do you decide?

Do you use a specific reference photo, capturing a real life moment in time???

Do you use the kit ordnance, and just follow the instructions?

Do you use your own creativity, and come up with a load out that youd use on a given mission?

OK, I'm still tinkering away at the Monogram F-20 Tigershark... and I don't want to use the kit stuff. First off, it's ugly as Chelsea Clinton, and second, it's BORING.

I'm marking mine for the weapons test bird, so I guess I could go with what ever the internet says it carried...

I'm thinking the GPU-5A 30mm gun on centerline, two drop tanks, and Sidewinders.... Any one want to make a suggestion?

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

August 18th, 2012, 9:03 pm #2

One day gonna due a ANG marked F-20 as if it was bought to replace F-4c/ds with an ANG group.....ND. MICH or CA with the F-106 red white tail.....someday

August 18th, 2012, 9:16 pm #3

Do you use your own creativity, and come up with a load out that youd use on a given mission?

OK, I'm still tinkering away at the Monogram F-20 Tigershark... and I don't want to use the kit stuff. First off, it's ugly as Chelsea Clinton, and second, it's BORING.

I'm marking mine for the weapons test bird, so I guess I could go with what ever the internet says it carried...

I'm thinking the GPU-5A 30mm gun on centerline, two drop tanks, and Sidewinders.... Any one want to make a suggestion?

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
... I will at times arm a model consistent with its role.
I built a P-47D in Brazilian WW II markings years ago. Knowing that the primary role for those a/c was ground attack rather than air combat, I hung a drop tank under the fuselage, a 250 lb bomb and a triple bazooka tube under each wing.
In the same vein, an SM 79 just doesn't look right without a torpedo under the fuselage.
I am more interested in the airplane itself and its markings than what it carried, so most of my models have no external load.

August 18th, 2012, 9:41 pm #4

Semper Fi, Don

August 18th, 2012, 9:58 pm #5

Semper Fi, Don
So its got to go with my chosen subject. But I also judge the quality of the kit provided stores, what might be in the parts bin or availability and cost of decent replacements. I think when you hang Bombs and rockets from a combat a/c they become a focal point for the viewer and personally I want them to look their best without driving myself insane in the process. I feel some aircraft dont look right without a full load and sometimes I feel an a/c beauty gets lost with all the stuff hanging from it. If you want to avoid ordnance altogether you could depict the a/c as having just returned from a mission or between missions.

A personal example, though not my area of modelling interest, F-16s and F-15s. I think the F-16 is a beautiful and graceful a/c so were I to build one id go with an older 80s air superiority scheme and a couple missiles. However I think and F-15 looks its best and most fierce as the E model and correspondingly should be loaded to the hilt with air to ground goodies, so its a choice of '91 gulf war or OIF/OEF schemes

August 18th, 2012, 10:05 pm #6

Semper Fi, Don
C`mon Don, You`ve got to do a Weasel

August 18th, 2012, 10:13 pm #7

Semper Fi, Don
stand to sand and fiddle with a bunch of ordanance. I admire those who finish AD-1 Skyraiders with all the bombs. I just don't have the inclination to do the extra work.

I build them clean and with half tanks so the climb rate is max. and away I go!

Philip & Maximilian
Head of Ranch Security, Song Dog, Texas

Where has all the music gone?

August 18th, 2012, 10:36 pm #8

Semper Fi, Don
If I think it "looks better" done clean (like an F-100), then so be it. If I think it would typically have some sort of stores (like an F-105 for instance), then I hang 'em. Bottom line: personal preference and aesthetics.

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

August 18th, 2012, 10:39 pm #9

She used to be.

Semper Fi, Don
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

August 18th, 2012, 10:52 pm #10

Semper Fi, Don
I prefer build jet fighters because of theirs aerodynamic clean lines
and it means not ordinances.
Take in count the majority of ordinances tend to make a model looks
like a toy due some impossible war-loads or thick fins.
But I must admit some jet fighters like the F-16, F-104, F-15 looks
fine with wingtip (or belly) missiles, and "heavy" or slow with
tanks under wings .
Good Luck
BR