My hypothesis is:

9:58 AM - Apr 07, 2018 #21

There were two batches of Bf110's in Iraqi markings.
Batch 1 is well documented in photos; all were standard (i.e. non-topicalized) E models; all were in standard 02/71 camouflage.
Batch 2: 3 planes picked up by Drewes and 2 other crews at Rhodes, got no further than Aleppo and returned to Rhodes a few days later.
These planes were topicalized because: Drewes says so, and there is a photo of Drewes in Iraqi "uniform" standing in front of a Bf110 with enlarged radiators (see Modeldad's post "Pictures from Drewes book..." below)
The Batch 2 planes were in desert camouflage because Drewes says so (and that's the only information/proof/hint I (and we?) have got; afaik there is no photo to either prove or disprove his claim. All the photos of Bf110s in Iraqi markings and standard camouflage show non-tropicalzed planes, therefore of Batch . ( The photo titled "E-1" in Modeldad's posting below ended up there because the photo is on the same page in Drewes book as the pic he entitled "enlarged radiator" and I am too dumb with scan the lower photo only; Modeled cut the two photos apart; I do believe it shows a Batch 1 plane.)
I am aware that my reasoning hinges on the existence of the "second batch", but I do believe that Drews word, plus a photo, is strong support.
I am wondering whether the planes in photos "enlarged radiator" and "oil tank" may be one and the same (or of the same patch). IF they are, I do interpret the color separation line on the spine of "oil tank" as traces of overpainting the Balkenkreuz and Kennung on a RLM 79 fuselage. Do you think that may be valid?
Regards, Richard

Interesting theory you have

1:40 PM - Apr 07, 2018 #22

...could you please drop me a line at stanslau_artwork(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br?

Regards,

Fernando
Last edited by Stanhauser on 5:23 PM - Apr 07, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Tried two versions of address, failed

2:16 PM - Apr 07, 2018 #23

my e address is richardaigner(at)aon.at the second at = for Austria
Looking forward to your opinion on my musings.
Greetings from Austria, Richard
P.S.: I will be out of reach till Tuesday.