How about this for a 1/32 Boeing-Stearman or NAF N3N?

How about this for a 1/32 Boeing-Stearman or NAF N3N?

April 8th, 2012, 1:08 am #1

I now realize that nobody makes a 1/32 kit for a Boeing-Stearman or NAF N3N trainer. But, what about modifying (extensively modifying I admit) a 1/32 Hasegawa F4B-4? It's out of production, but the kit can still be found on the internet.

I'd have to modify the upper wing, add a second cockpit and trim down the rear fuselage. For the N3N, the engine cowl could be removed. The vertical stabilizer would also have to be reshaped. But, maybe just maybe it could be done.

I think I really need to do an NAF N3N since that's the type of plane that was used as a trainer at NAS Pasco during the war.

Possible, or just a pipe dream?

April 8th, 2012, 1:44 am #2

For example, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Airc ... N3N_Canary

and:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft ... aft_id=208

Those 5 feet correspond to approximately 2 inches in 1/32 scale, of course.

Charles Metz

-----------

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me
What a long, strange trip it's been.

April 8th, 2012, 2:13 am #3

Did just the opposite. Made a P-12 F4B-4 (never saw it finished so I don't know what they decided, I pushed for a Marine F4B-4 but the last time I looked at it...it was looking pretty darn good for what they started with!

April 8th, 2012, 2:19 am #4

For example, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Airc ... N3N_Canary

and:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft ... aft_id=208

Those 5 feet correspond to approximately 2 inches in 1/32 scale, of course.

Charles Metz

-----------

Lately it occurs to me
The construction of the fuselage I think was also different. Maybe fabric on the N3N and maybe metal on the F4?

April 8th, 2012, 2:46 am #5

I now realize that nobody makes a 1/32 kit for a Boeing-Stearman or NAF N3N trainer. But, what about modifying (extensively modifying I admit) a 1/32 Hasegawa F4B-4? It's out of production, but the kit can still be found on the internet.

I'd have to modify the upper wing, add a second cockpit and trim down the rear fuselage. For the N3N, the engine cowl could be removed. The vertical stabilizer would also have to be reshaped. But, maybe just maybe it could be done.

I think I really need to do an NAF N3N since that's the type of plane that was used as a trainer at NAS Pasco during the war.

by searching around for some deal on one of those 1/32 builtup PT-17's. What you're describing is like converting an A6M Zero into a P-47.

April 8th, 2012, 2:55 am #6

I'll look, but can't figure what to search for.

April 8th, 2012, 2:59 am #7

n/t

April 8th, 2012, 3:02 am #8

The construction of the fuselage I think was also different. Maybe fabric on the N3N and maybe metal on the F4?
... it might be easier to build one:

by converting the old Tomy/Swallow//Doyusha K5Y1 "Willow" kit:

The latter seems to be be out of production now, but it's by no means a rare kit and should be easy to find on eBay -- or at HobbyLink Japan, if you're willing to wait 4-6 weeks: http://www.hlj.com/product/DYS32-AKA

Charles Metz

-----------

Lately it occurs to me
Last edited by Charles_Metz on April 8th, 2012, 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 8th, 2012, 3:38 am #9

I'll look, but can't figure what to search for.
1/32 PT-17. I found one listed for $129 which would be too rich for me but maybe something less expensive can be found.

April 8th, 2012, 3:42 am #10

than trying to beat an F4B4 into looking like an N3N. Only similarity is both had radials and were biplanes.

Seriously, not trying to be a a wise guy here, it would be easier. You could knock out the basic shapes from some bass wood in maybe a day or two, converting the F4B4 might take three times as long if at all.

Mike