Hood Help

Hood Help

April 2nd, 2012, 6:41 pm #1

Hello all

I build mainly aircraft kits with the odd AFV thrown in but having recently seen a made up Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Hood, I am inspired to build one (Slowly probably!!)

I am aware of a number of perceived shortcomings of the model including the oddly shaped turret tops so will probably replace them. I do however have a couple of areas where I require advice.

There are a couple (at least) of manufacturers offering wooden decks for the kit. Are they worth the time, effort and money to install? Has anyone used them and which is the best?

Also, both Eduard and Gold Medal make photo etch sets for the kit. The Gold Medal set is more expensive - so - is it better, easier to use, more extensive?

Any help would be gratefully received.

April 2nd, 2012, 10:56 pm #2

Eduard stuff, for the most part, is pretty general and basic. If you are not skilled at p-e, or want only the most basic simplistic parts then they do okay. On the other hand, I have found GMM to be very thorough and detailed and really better overall. It's the same if you build armor. If you want a cheap basic etch set that replaces a couple of obvious things, go Eduard. If you want something GOOD, go with Aber.

April 3rd, 2012, 1:49 am #3

Hello all

I build mainly aircraft kits with the odd AFV thrown in but having recently seen a made up Trumpeter 1/350 HMS Hood, I am inspired to build one (Slowly probably!!)

I am aware of a number of perceived shortcomings of the model including the oddly shaped turret tops so will probably replace them. I do however have a couple of areas where I require advice.

There are a couple (at least) of manufacturers offering wooden decks for the kit. Are they worth the time, effort and money to install? Has anyone used them and which is the best?

Also, both Eduard and Gold Medal make photo etch sets for the kit. The Gold Medal set is more expensive - so - is it better, easier to use, more extensive?

Any help would be gratefully received.
They are both very nice sets. If you are interested I can make you a package deal for both. Please contact me off board.