Home Decal making problems.....

Home Decal making problems.....

April 7th, 2012, 7:32 pm #1

Hello all,

So, I bought myself a pack of Inkjet/Clear waterslide decal paper, followed the instructions exactly and have blurry decals to show for it.

As a test, I printed the images on draft paper and they are as clear as a bell. However, when I try and print on the decal paper, the ink is remaining on the surface and smudging or running...or staying on the rollers. I have tried clear-coating the paper with semi-gloss and now matte spray, but it is little better. The image also fades within an hour of the attempted printing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,
Michael

April 7th, 2012, 7:53 pm #2

impressed with inkjet as a medium for attempting home-made decals. I tried several different ones and the only one that I got to work with any decent results was an Epson printer with "Durabrite" inks, but I can't recall what was different about their ink that made it work better.

Others have reported success with inkjets, but I eventually ended up getting a color laser printer and haven't looked back. FWIW

April 7th, 2012, 10:04 pm #3

Hello all,

So, I bought myself a pack of Inkjet/Clear waterslide decal paper, followed the instructions exactly and have blurry decals to show for it.

As a test, I printed the images on draft paper and they are as clear as a bell. However, when I try and print on the decal paper, the ink is remaining on the surface and smudging or running...or staying on the rollers. I have tried clear-coating the paper with semi-gloss and now matte spray, but it is little better. The image also fades within an hour of the attempted printing.

TIA,
Michael
I would mess around with the glossy photo paper setting and high resolution. Sometimes those menus are hard to find buried in the print menu. I have a cheap Canon inkjet that has them though, so most of them probably have them.

April 7th, 2012, 10:14 pm #4

It's actually an Epsom R220 photo printer and produces amaizng photos. I have run them through on all setting from draft up to best photo/enhanced and from draft paper up through all the grades of glossy to matte premium paper. Always the same case....clearly, the ink is sitting ON the surface of the paper if it's this decal paper.

If I weren't already bald, I'd be tearing my hair out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

April 7th, 2012, 10:25 pm #5

I have used a couple different brands of ink jet printers and the Testors decal paper with good results. The ink will stay wet on the paper a bit and you have to let it dry, but nothing like the issues you have described.

April 7th, 2012, 11:03 pm #6

impressed with inkjet as a medium for attempting home-made decals. I tried several different ones and the only one that I got to work with any decent results was an Epson printer with "Durabrite" inks, but I can't recall what was different about their ink that made it work better.

Others have reported success with inkjets, but I eventually ended up getting a color laser printer and haven't looked back. FWIW
so they tend to hold up better when wet. I think they may be a little tougher to scuff off. I know you can't refill an Epson cartridge successfully - at least I don't know anyone who's tried.....

April 7th, 2012, 11:35 pm #7

I have used a couple different brands of ink jet printers and the Testors decal paper with good results. The ink will stay wet on the paper a bit and you have to let it dry, but nothing like the issues you have described.
Maybe it's the brand of paper......

I do not remember the brand name but I know it's not Testors. It also seems to me that the last time I used it I had nothing like these problems.

I'm going to investigate the idea of having someone do them for me on a laser printer.

Thanks for the support, guys!

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

April 8th, 2012, 1:09 am #8

It's actually an Epsom R220 photo printer and produces amaizng photos. I have run them through on all setting from draft up to best photo/enhanced and from draft paper up through all the grades of glossy to matte premium paper. Always the same case....clearly, the ink is sitting ON the surface of the paper if it's this decal paper.

If I weren't already bald, I'd be tearing my hair out.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
I'm afraid Epsom inks, although excellent for photographs, don't adhere to most inkjet decal paper. I've not only read this, but also experienced it myself with my own Epsom printer. I went out and bought an HP Officejet and get very good results from it.

FWIW, I really like SuperCal decal paper.

http://www.supercaldecals.com/

Pip Moss

April 8th, 2012, 2:09 am #9

Hello all,

TIA,
Michael
You might try to find a brand/type made specifically for inkjet. I use this with my Epson printer (Durabrite inks) with little trouble. Good prices, too:

http://www.decalpaper.com/category-s/2.htm

As mentioned previously, let it dry about 30 minutes. Set the printer to high quality, and try fast printing speed and plain paper settings, if available; they leave the least amount of ink on the paper, minimizing bleed.

April 8th, 2012, 2:29 am #10

This paper specifically says Inkjet right on the back. Making decals is .oooo1% of my work so I think I'll have to keep with this printer.

My wife's office has a laser printer so I may give that a try.

All the ideas are much appreciated.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael