Holy Crap.....and here I thought 1/350th scale was a pain -

Holy Crap.....and here I thought 1/350th scale was a pain -

July 29th, 2012, 1:09 am #1

I'm now tryin' my hand at the Tamiya 1/700th scale Hornet. (it does, after all, have 16 airplanes on it).
My fingers are too big. Or it could be the parts are really small! I'll know better than to do THIS again!

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

July 29th, 2012, 1:26 am #2

...I just don't have that kind of room. I'm actually really jealous of all you guys that have room for multiple 350 scale models!

Gene

July 29th, 2012, 2:33 am #3

I had to convince SWMBO to allow it to be placed in the bottom of one of the entertainment centers behind the glass doors. The Hornet, if all goes according to plan, will be able to be displayed on the wall (long story-you'll see). I also have the unbuilt USS Freedom in 1/350th, but it's apparently no where near the size of the assault ship. That'll probably go in the same place the wasp is sittin'.

July 29th, 2012, 4:14 pm #4

Next, you need to do a 1/600 Enterprise.

An Old Soldier, but not faded away. Yet.

July 29th, 2012, 5:53 pm #5

I'm now tryin' my hand at the Tamiya 1/700th scale Hornet. (it does, after all, have 16 airplanes on it).
My fingers are too big. Or it could be the parts are really small! I'll know better than to do THIS again!

Optivisors, reading glasses, an assortment of fine tipped tweezers, and the right adhesives. It can be done.

You can find just about anything that floated in 1/700 scale. (Niko has released the 1942 tanker SS Ohio, there is a ship with a story.)

In 1/700 scale, you can display all the major units of the German Kriegsmarine on top of a suitcase, with room left over for a few destroyers and auxiliaries.

With 1/700 scale, you get half the size, but a quarter of the footprint of something in 1/350. Some of us just do not have a lot of room to spare. Probably why 1/700 has been THE scale in Japan for so long.

You have yet to experience true Nirvanna till you have folded and assembled a 20mm flackvierling AA gun in 1/700.

O.K. - band-standing finished, and I admit that I MUST have one of those new 1/200 Trumpeter Bismarck kits when they arrive this November.

- still have not determined where to put a 50" long model with a 7" beam in this little cabin.

July 31st, 2012, 1:43 am #6

I'm in a builder's rut/block funk etc on the ending stages of 1/32 Desert storm Eagles,,Bought the DML CVL Carrier in July, and started in within days of getting it...Kinda fun, the many small subassembly AA guns and airbrushing the dash flight deck lines was NOT as painstaking then one would have thought.
For me this kit is breaking me out of the builder's block and the miniature work involved is like a work up,,when I get back to my 1/32 aviation stuff, I'm betting my skills will be sharpened....Doing a 1/700 ship equates to the Red Flag work up before being shipped out,,,Ready for anything..

Also,,,It's WONDERFULL how the minimal paint and supplies involved in 1/700 ships,,,I'm accustomed to having to have spare duplicate colors for the large surface areas of 1/32 paint jobs...for ships, you use almost nill,particularlyfor the measure camo's of the pacific.

I will post my CVL in a couple of weekends I hope,,,work has me busy but the kit is fun.

July 31st, 2012, 2:15 pm #7

/

August 1st, 2012, 12:43 am #8

Craig, I used to do 1/700 when they first came out, and like you I had a USS Hornet, I still have the b-25. Yours looks great! I like the Idea of the foil water, I must have suffered a similer build block when I did my USS Albany, Having fun with that one, I started a USS Long Beach, but to make matters worse, I am updating it to 1990s configuration. If you continue with ships, good luck to you, as the work you've done looks great.
Air-5