Holiday scam in the parking lot

Holiday scam in the parking lot

December 21st, 2011, 4:09 pm #1

Well, I fell for it. I walked to my van and nobody was nearby. I glanced behind before backing and then bumped a guy who seemed to be suddenly behind me. He got out and didn't seem to upset. His car had numerous dents and dings and I asked which one I caused. He was very low key and his buddy stayed in the car. He said, "well, no big deal I guess". I asked my wife to take a photo and he said, "You know what, just give me $20 and we'll call it even". I was stressed from shopping with my wife and just gave him $20. Of course, I later figured out it was a scam. I should have exchanged info with him, but I was in a hurry and not thinking.

To answer the why didn't I call the cops question, I can say that in our 4+ hours of shopping I saw exactly one cop and he had made a traffic stop. Realistically, the cops aren't going to bother with something like this.

December 21st, 2011, 4:49 pm #2

...to investigate an accident of this nature.

He who dies with the most toys wins!!

December 21st, 2011, 5:28 pm #3

on private property. My wife got backed into in a bank parking lot and it pretty much destroyed the right front fender, tire, rim and door. The police were called and they got all the information from both drivers since it was a traffic accident, they just couldn't write the other woman a ticket for unsafe backing but they said she deserved it. Police will come, normally, if called even on private property. And if one of the people become aggressive or something they can and will arrest them.

Illegitimi non carborundum
In memory of Denis Keegan.

December 21st, 2011, 5:51 pm #4

n/t

December 21st, 2011, 6:17 pm #5

...the option to report the incident at their drive-in claims location. Whether your insurer will honour the claim depends on your policy limitations, the mood of the insurance adjuster, and the dictates from the insurer's home office.

Good luck.

December 21st, 2011, 6:21 pm #6

Well, I fell for it. I walked to my van and nobody was nearby. I glanced behind before backing and then bumped a guy who seemed to be suddenly behind me. He got out and didn't seem to upset. His car had numerous dents and dings and I asked which one I caused. He was very low key and his buddy stayed in the car. He said, "well, no big deal I guess". I asked my wife to take a photo and he said, "You know what, just give me $20 and we'll call it even". I was stressed from shopping with my wife and just gave him $20. Of course, I later figured out it was a scam. I should have exchanged info with him, but I was in a hurry and not thinking.

To answer the why didn't I call the cops question, I can say that in our 4+ hours of shopping I saw exactly one cop and he had made a traffic stop. Realistically, the cops aren't going to bother with something like this.
Where was your Python? n/t

December 21st, 2011, 6:37 pm #7

...to investigate an accident of this nature.

They are required to attend any accident exceeding $X and have a police report made. Without this report, insurance is out the window.

Even in a minor accident, if a policeman is requested, then he must show up.

Given the nature of shopping centers, they are considered by courts in the US to have may public aspects, just likes the streets of a town.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

December 21st, 2011, 6:47 pm #8

it could have gotten uglier and then raised your rate

December 21st, 2011, 7:20 pm #9

camera's? If so this may be on film....I bet Security/Police would love to get this scammer if they could. Also Ed, just a thought and not rubbing your face in it....have been the owner of 2 vans, 1st a Chevy van in the 1970's that my mom called the Sin Bin...and now a mini-van(yes times do change) but have also driven work van's, box trucks, etc....try and not always easy backing into parking spaces, it makes it way easier to pull out. Mike

December 21st, 2011, 9:12 pm #10

If nothing further comes of it, a cheap lesson.

"Don't take your life too seriously, son. At the end of it, you won't be alive anyway."

Red Skelton's mother