Hobbyboss 1/48 P-40M- yes, I built it :)

Hobbyboss 1/48 P-40M- yes, I built it :)

May 17th, 2012, 10:53 am #1

This is the infamous Hobbyboss P-40M. If you are the least bit concerned with accuracy, you may want to look away. Even if you are not, you may want to look away.

I am a Barney Builder myself.... but this kit... well, it's not pretty.

It's nose profile is wrong. The canopy seems to be too tall & oddly shaped. The rear windows have an odd profile. The spinner is a bit bulbous. The props are a bit banana shaped. It's not so much P-40 as "P-40esque".

But it goes together really easy, the engineering is really nice, and the surface detail is very good. And it's cheap. The LHS has them for $16.

Though it's a P-40M, I used markings for a long tailed K, which externally looks like an M. (Decals are from Tally-Ho and are very nice.)

It's a shame Hobbyboss didn't put more effort in to the shape, because they got the engineering right with regards to the fit. The surface detail is nice, though there are some QC problems with panel lines missing in odd places, like the lower part of one horizontal stab, or on one side of the rudder where the trim tab is.

Why did I build it? I'm a sucker for Charlie Brown Christmas Tree kits, of which this is most certainly one! Plus, somebody has to do it.

I don't know that I could find any scenario to recommend this kit for most modelers. Like I said, it goes together very well, but even for the most casual modeler who is more interested in a fun build and not accuracy, this one is just way off. Perhaps a build with a younger child or relative to help them get in to the hobby. (Although I'd have to recommend Pegasus Hobbies kits first, honestly.) Though it is more expensive, Italeri's P-40M/N, which is the AMT kit re-boxed, is a far better kit. (Or get one of the many AMT boxings still available.) And of course, the Hasegawa M is awesome.

So there it is. It builds nice. It looks awful.

[/img]

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Last edited by jonbius on May 17th, 2012, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

May 17th, 2012, 11:16 am #2

Your superb work goes a long way to distract from the kit's issues!

May 17th, 2012, 12:17 pm #3

This is the infamous Hobbyboss P-40M. If you are the least bit concerned with accuracy, you may want to look away. Even if you are not, you may want to look away.

It's nose profile is wrong. The canopy seems to be too tall & oddly shaped. The rear windows have an odd profile. The spinner is a bit bulbous. The props are a bit banana shaped. It's not so much P-40 as "P-40esque".

But it goes together really easy, the engineering is really nice, and the surface detail is very good. And it's cheap. The LHS has them for $16.

Though it's a P-40M, I used markings for a long tailed K, which externally looks like an M. (Decals are from Tally-Ho and are very nice.)

It's a shame Hobbyboss didn't put more effort in to the shape, because they got the engineering right with regards to the fit. The surface detail is nice, though there are some QC problems with panel lines missing in odd places, like the lower part of one horizontal stab, or on one side of the rudder where the trim tab is.

Why did I build it? I'm a sucker for Charlie Brown Christmas Tree kits, of which this is most certainly one! Plus, somebody has to do it.

I don't know that I could find any scenario to recommend this kit for most modelers. Like I said, it goes together very well, but even for the most casual modeler who is more interested in a fun build and not accuracy, this one is just way off. Perhaps a build with a younger child or relative to help them get in to the hobby. (Although I'd have to recommend Pegasus Hobbies kits first, honestly.) Though it is more expensive, Italeri's P-40M/N, which is the AMT kit re-boxed, is a far better kit. (Or get one of the many AMT boxings still available.) And of course, the Hasegawa M is awesome.

[/img]

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
I mean that in the way someone might say it when they see a spectacular snowboarding crash! It's wel built and painted, but there's just no good angle on it (shapewise), is there?! I'm building the same kit, using Italeri's Kiwi markings. Happy to see one posted. Great work!
Last edited by rongordo on May 17th, 2012, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 17th, 2012, 12:53 pm #4

Your superb work goes a long way to distract from the kit's issues!
I'm humbled by your kind words!

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

May 17th, 2012, 12:55 pm #5

[/img]

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
The odd canopy profile seems similar to the storky canopy in the Academy 1/72 kits

May 17th, 2012, 12:55 pm #6

I mean that in the way someone might say it when they see a spectacular snowboarding crash! It's wel built and painted, but there's just no good angle on it (shapewise), is there?! I'm building the same kit, using Italeri's Kiwi markings. Happy to see one posted. Great work!
.... and thank you for your kind words. It is odd, no matter how you look at it! I look forward to seeing your results when you are done. Good to know someone else is building it too!

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

May 17th, 2012, 12:57 pm #7

The odd canopy profile seems similar to the storky canopy in the Academy 1/72 kits
I see what you mean about the similarity to the Academy 72nd kit, as I've built that one too. Interesting...

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

May 17th, 2012, 1:40 pm #8

[/img]

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
I like much the paint scheme, beautifuly done indeed.
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

May 17th, 2012, 1:51 pm #9

[/img]

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Great looking build , but it looks like a P-40 in a fun-house mirror. Adios, Larry.

Field Artillery brings dignity to what otherwise might be merely a vulgar brawl.

May 17th, 2012, 2:08 pm #10

I like much the paint scheme, beautifuly done indeed.
I kind of liked that scheme myself. I actually felt a bit guilty after seeing how nice the decals were to use that scheme on this kit! LOL

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com