Hobby Shops in NY City?

Hobby Shops in NY City?

July 8th, 2012, 6:56 am #1

Hi there,

I was hoping someone might be able to give me a hand...

I'm travelling to New York on Tuesday of this week, and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good hobby shop selling plastic models in NY?

I'm going to be staying in Brooklyn, but will be in the main city several times over the next few weeks, and will certainly have an opportunity to find a good hobby shop.

My interests are mainly aircraft, but I'm figuring if it has plastic, it'll have everything anyway!

Thank you heaps in advance - any pointers much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon
NZ

July 8th, 2012, 8:33 am #2

your Q has been asked a few times in the past 6 months here on PT. Try an HS search while you wait for direct info from East Coasters.

If I recall, the NYC pickings were slim.

July 8th, 2012, 12:17 pm #3

Hi there,

I'm travelling to New York on Tuesday of this week, and was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good hobby shop selling plastic models in NY?

I'm going to be staying in Brooklyn, but will be in the main city several times over the next few weeks, and will certainly have an opportunity to find a good hobby shop.

My interests are mainly aircraft, but I'm figuring if it has plastic, it'll have everything anyway!

Thanks,

Jon
NZ
Unfortunately the heyday of NYC hobby shops is long over. With the era of ever-increasing rents, about the only businesses that can survive here are banks and chain stores, such as the endless drugstores et al. The only hobby shop to speak of on the island of Manhattan is Jan's Hobby Shop, which is located on Lexington btwn 93 & 94. Jan's has a respectable selection, the problem being that almost everything is at or above retail. As far as I know, there are NO decent hobby shops in Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx. Word has it there are at least two decent shops on Long Island, but without a car (which I haven't owned since '03), they are difficult to get to. Perhaps someone else can point the way. Enjoy your stay, it is a wonderful city to visit. Just not one that is a modeler mecca.

July 8th, 2012, 1:00 pm #4

Hi there,

Thanks,

Jon
NZ
The Intrepid Air Sea and Space museum, The Statue of Liberty, "Ground Zero" , Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Frick, The Morgan, MOMA, etc.

Some of the greatest food in the word. Try Fatty Cue of Fatty Crab for fun.

BTW the main city is Manhattan.

There is no such thing as an unbuildable kit, just some kits one may consider not worth building.

Ive realized that most people ... tend not to be direct when they feel something is shoddy because they want to be liked, "which is actually a vain trait".
[Walter Isaacson's (author of Steve Jobs) recounting of his interview with Jony Ive, Chief Designer at Apple @ page p. 461]

BUY THIS BOOK
http://tinyurl.com/Ididntseeitcoming

July 8th, 2012, 1:20 pm #5

Hi there,

Thanks,

Jon
NZ
Hi,
There is one hobby shop in the Midtown area. It's on 45th street between 5th and 6th Avenues, on the north side of the street. It's called the Red Caboose (I think). It is mostly a model railroading store but carries kits of all kinds. The entrance is a little hard to find and you go downstairs to the store as it is underground with no windows.
HTH
Ron

July 8th, 2012, 1:50 pm #6

for me, it was the kind of place where you struggle to find a kit that you actually want.
On the other hand, for an archaeologist, I think it would be a treasure trove of paint and accessories that are no longer produced.

David

July 8th, 2012, 3:25 pm #7

Hi there,

Thanks,

Jon
NZ
Go to Penn Station and take a NJ Transit local train to Rahway. It's about a 20-25 minute ride; the Rahway station is about 3.5 miles from the shop. I'm sure you could catch a cab from there. The address of the store is 1111 St. Georges Avenue, Colonia, NJ. No bargains; their prices are full retail but they have an excellent selection of kits, decals, detail parts and paints.

July 8th, 2012, 4:39 pm #8

Hi,
There is one hobby shop in the Midtown area. It's on 45th street between 5th and 6th Avenues, on the north side of the street. It's called the Red Caboose (I think). It is mostly a model railroading store but carries kits of all kinds. The entrance is a little hard to find and you go downstairs to the store as it is underground with no windows.
HTH
Ron
...worth checking out, if it is still around. Not well stocked, but lots of OOP and unusual stuff when I was there. I found a CLassic Airframes SM.79, which at the time I had not seen in a store for several years.

July 8th, 2012, 9:33 pm #9

Hi there,

Thanks,

Jon
NZ
...super helpful, thank you!

Yeah, maybe not the right city for plastic, so unless I'm right there I think I'll aim at the Intrepid museum. I was there years ago, and it was neat then, so now with the space shuttle it should be even better.

The shop red caboose sounds interesting - there might be some old gems that might be worth grabbing.

But thanks again for the comments and suggestions - I really appreciate you all taking the time to write a response for me!

Have a great day,

Jon
NZ

July 8th, 2012, 9:37 pm #10

Hi,
HTH
Ron
Sadly, The Red Caboose is the last Hobby store still in Midtown Manhattan. It has been around for many years and is mostly dedicated to trains. I was there in the Spring of 2012. There is limited stock of non train items but It's worth a visit, if nothing else , for your hobby fix while in NYC.
It survived through it all, even when the mighty Polks Hobbies, Gateway (later Ace), Sky Books (military books) and maybe one or two more did not. I remember going to all of the above stores from my home in the Bronx. We're talking 1975. It was a great outing and a real treat. I recall looking at my finds on the bus heading home. There was also a fabulous art supply store , Arthur Brown for all the art supplies on the planet. Alas, all gone.

Ron

http://www.theredcaboose.com/