Hobby Boss 1/48 Hellcat kits

Hobby Boss 1/48 Hellcat kits

April 25th, 2012, 7:42 am #1

Guys,

I know this kit has some reasonably serious accuracy issues, but I am not interested in hearing about these as they have been well talked about on various forums. I just want to know if the build is easy and largley hassle free? I am considering starting one as my next build. So if anyone has built one and wishes to provide me with some guidance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Kev C.

April 25th, 2012, 9:01 am #2

...and am happy to report it is a fun build. The overall fit was very good, and the detailing was very nice. The only fiddly part of the build was the wing fold area. The instructions have you build the inner portion and the outer portions of the wings separately, and then join them together. if you are doing wings extended, it's a minor bit of work to get them lined up. If I were to do it again (and I do plan on building another one), I would test things to see if it were more feasible to join the parts together beforehand, to make a complete lower wing and upper wing parts.

Other than that issue (which really was minor), I thoroughly enjoyed the build.

I've also built the Eduard hellcat, and aside from the wing fold fiddliness, I thought the Hobbyboss kit was as good in terms of fit and quality of the parts. If I had to give a nod to one over the other, I actually preferred the Hobbyboss kit.

(If you do build the night fighter version, don't add the 20mm guns until the very last step or you'll likely break the barrels off half a dozen times. Ask me how I know... )

More photos:http://goo.gl/2jBQZ

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Modeling with a Higher Purpose
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

April 25th, 2012, 10:49 am #3

Looks very nice, but now I can really see the accuracy issues with the cockpit and fuselage area that people have spoken of. May have a go at it soonish, but then again, the weekend edition Eduard boxing looks nice too.

Thanks again mate,
Kev C.

April 25th, 2012, 11:33 am #4

a Bunker Hill AG project.

May have read all the reviews, and haven't gone back and looked, but the 'errors' in the areas you mention don't seem obvious to me from the photo.

What are they?

Joe

Average Modeler and Builder of legacy kits Beyond the Pale. Proud builder of 3' "shelf" models for over half a century; 4' for Spits.

April 25th, 2012, 11:44 am #5

...which is way too wide. HB's people must have thought Naval Aviation was manned by sumo wrestlers. To my eye it makes the whole fuselage look misshapen.

If I get another one, it will be donate wings and landing gear to another Hellcat kit.

Andy

April 25th, 2012, 12:23 pm #6

Looks very nice, but now I can really see the accuracy issues with the cockpit and fuselage area that people have spoken of. May have a go at it soonish, but then again, the weekend edition Eduard boxing looks nice too.

Thanks again mate,
Kev C.
... based on price rather than accuracy. I think I paid $10 for this one... maybe a bit more, so my outlook on the kit is probably swayed by that to a certain degree. I had bough the Eduard kit in the Profipack, so it was quite a bit more. The weekend edition boxing is definitely a good bargain though, and it's a great kit. I generally see the HB kit and the Eduard WE kit for around the same price, so definitely from the accuracy perspective, the weekend edition is a safe bet when costs are the same.

And I'm generally a modeling nut- I build 25-30 kits a year, so I try to build different makes just to do something different. I still need to build the Otaki and Hasegawa Hellcats. Maybe even the Monogram one too!

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com

April 25th, 2012, 12:52 pm #7

...and am happy to report it is a fun build. The overall fit was very good, and the detailing was very nice. The only fiddly part of the build was the wing fold area. The instructions have you build the inner portion and the outer portions of the wings separately, and then join them together. if you are doing wings extended, it's a minor bit of work to get them lined up. If I were to do it again (and I do plan on building another one), I would test things to see if it were more feasible to join the parts together beforehand, to make a complete lower wing and upper wing parts.

Other than that issue (which really was minor), I thoroughly enjoyed the build.

I've also built the Eduard hellcat, and aside from the wing fold fiddliness, I thought the Hobbyboss kit was as good in terms of fit and quality of the parts. If I had to give a nod to one over the other, I actually preferred the Hobbyboss kit.

(If you do build the night fighter version, don't add the 20mm guns until the very last step or you'll likely break the barrels off half a dozen times. Ask me how I know... )

More photos:http://goo.gl/2jBQZ

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
More like to let a 32nd pilot in!!

Other than that, looks okay!!

Edit: This post was to reply to Kev C's Original Post. Sorry, Jon.

Bo
Last edited by jabow1 on April 25th, 2012, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 1:02 pm #8

... based on price rather than accuracy. I think I paid $10 for this one... maybe a bit more, so my outlook on the kit is probably swayed by that to a certain degree. I had bough the Eduard kit in the Profipack, so it was quite a bit more. The weekend edition boxing is definitely a good bargain though, and it's a great kit. I generally see the HB kit and the Eduard WE kit for around the same price, so definitely from the accuracy perspective, the weekend edition is a safe bet when costs are the same.

And I'm generally a modeling nut- I build 25-30 kits a year, so I try to build different makes just to do something different. I still need to build the Otaki and Hasegawa Hellcats. Maybe even the Monogram one too!

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
to the "Barney Builder" side! Don't worry, I'll still respect you. And that's said with warm feelings and tongue-in-cheek, so let's not anybody turn up that vitriol dial again...

I finally got that vac of the P-66- the first time it came back to the sender in very bad shape, but the second time it got to me just fine. Not a bad vac, though the resin was cruder than I'd hoped. I think I might tackle that one first, rather than risk the "good" injection kit. I was also sorry to see that it only gave the shorter cockpit glass- for some reason I thought it would give either style.

bob
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

April 25th, 2012, 1:15 pm #9

...which is way too wide. HB's people must have thought Naval Aviation was manned by sumo wrestlers. To my eye it makes the whole fuselage look misshapen.

If I get another one, it will be donate wings and landing gear to another Hellcat kit.

Andy
Roy said while producing a 32nd scale kit, some parts were made in 48th and maybe others. The person at Hobby Boss responsible for designing the cockpit opening musta converted everything to 32nd scale!!

When you see a HB model beside a Hasegawa/Otkai/Eduard model, it REALLY jumps out at you!! If you didn't have pretty girls to compare, ALL girls would be pretty!! LOL!!!

Bo

April 25th, 2012, 1:30 pm #10

to the "Barney Builder" side! Don't worry, I'll still respect you. And that's said with warm feelings and tongue-in-cheek, so let's not anybody turn up that vitriol dial again...

I finally got that vac of the P-66- the first time it came back to the sender in very bad shape, but the second time it got to me just fine. Not a bad vac, though the resin was cruder than I'd hoped. I think I might tackle that one first, rather than risk the "good" injection kit. I was also sorry to see that it only gave the shorter cockpit glass- for some reason I thought it would give either style.

bob
I thought that was kind of funny when I heard it, so I made that my avatar.

Seriously though, my goal is to build things so that if my 10 year old self would be impressed, that's good enough. I had more fun building models around 10-13 years of age than any other time. I think if I could go back in time, bring my 10 year old self to now, and show him my models, he would be duly impressed. (After the screaming from all the time travel and seeing how I look at 45 subsided, of course.... )

And you know, it's funny and maybe a bit hokey, but I think it means more to me when I show my wife my models after I build them and she says "Oh, that one looks really nice! I like the colors" or whatever... that means more to me than anything. I know, kinda hokey.... I'll never win a contest at an IPMS show, but then again it would be creepy if the judges there gave me a hug and a kiss for doing a good job. ROTFL

Anyway....

It's not a bad vac kit, is it? I haven't tackled it yet.... I have a few other projects going on right now- Academy's P-35, Airfix's 1/48 Spitfire Mk. XVIe, and gasp.... the new Hobbyboss P-51D and P-40M! But I do plan to build the P-66 this year. It's a neat airplane. I keep hoping someone will kit another injection mold of it.

Jon Bius
www.agapemodels.com
Jon Bius
www.jonbius.com