hilarious international shipping

hilarious international shipping

June 17th, 2012, 4:30 pm #1

This is NOT a dig at HLJ (Hobby Link Japan), but rather, a dig at FedEx.

Thursday night, I ordered from HLJ, and as always, they had it "out the door" pretty fast. Less than 24 hours after ordering, it was already leaving Narita airport with FedEx. Saturday morning, I tracked it at Mirabel airport, north of Montreal (I live in eastern Canada), and waiting for customs. Saturday night, I tracked it to Anchorage, Alaska (WTF? wrong direction, guys!). This morning, it's in Memphis, Tennessee...

I guess to keep my package entertained, so it doesn't get bored sitting in a bin in Montreal, FedEx decided to take it on a North American tour...and it was getting so very, very close to me...in record time...damn!

I don't think customs works on weekends anyways, so FedEx, if you could please return it to Montreal by Monday morning, so the Border Services agent can look at it, I'd be very grateful.

Actually, I'm rather amused at this situation.

- Andrew W.

June 17th, 2012, 4:41 pm #2

I'm in NW Washington state and I placed an order with Squadron using their FedEx "Smart Post". It got up to Portland OR. rather quickly (I'm thinking it'll be here in the next two days at the most) when FedEx must have decided that it shouldn't arrive early and sent it out on a tour of Memphis TN and a few other places back east. I think it was another 7 or 8 days before it arrived. It happens.

Roy

June 17th, 2012, 4:42 pm #3

Thursday night, I ordered from HLJ, and as always, they had it "out the door" pretty fast. Less than 24 hours after ordering, it was already leaving Narita airport with FedEx. Saturday morning, I tracked it at Mirabel airport, north of Montreal (I live in eastern Canada), and waiting for customs. Saturday night, I tracked it to Anchorage, Alaska (WTF? wrong direction, guys!). This morning, it's in Memphis, Tennessee...

I guess to keep my package entertained, so it doesn't get bored sitting in a bin in Montreal, FedEx decided to take it on a North American tour...and it was getting so very, very close to me...in record time...damn!

I don't think customs works on weekends anyways, so FedEx, if you could please return it to Montreal by Monday morning, so the Border Services agent can look at it, I'd be very grateful.

- Andrew W.
It's their headquarters/hub.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

June 17th, 2012, 4:44 pm #4

- Andrew W.
"clearing customs", on top of whatever duty & GST is applicable. That's the main reason I avoid all private shipping companies when I order to Canada. I'll take the American USPS, or who ever's overseas government airmail, and wait the extra few days.

June 17th, 2012, 4:57 pm #5

People in Canada often and mistakenly avoid couriers when they get hit with a large brokerage fee.

The problem is that sellers and buyers often default to standard shipping under the assumption that standard shipping is the cheapest.

In fact, courier companies offer services at just slightly more cost...but they include full brokerage fees in that cost. The thing is to never use the basic, cheapest service if you are in Canada. With basic service, you are responsible for brokerage fees. Pay an extra few bucks for a slightly higher lever of service and you are off the hook.

I can order a $500.00 camera lens and have it sent to Canada suing UPS Worldwide Expedited service for less than $30.00. It's get here in about 2 or 3 days with no further brokerage fees (truth be told, it probably won't even include GST and PST).

June 17th, 2012, 4:58 pm #6

"clearing customs", on top of whatever duty & GST is applicable. That's the main reason I avoid all private shipping companies when I order to Canada. I'll take the American USPS, or who ever's overseas government airmail, and wait the extra few days.
Yup always use USPS or that country's mail service to ship to Canada if possible. All the courier services charge big bucks for customs fees.

June 17th, 2012, 5:07 pm #7

- Andrew W.
Trans-oceanic travel being what it is. It is why Alaska is such a strategic luxury. Imagine the cost if they flew it direct! ; )

There is a hub and spoke logic somewhere though .. .

The concentration of wealth means the proliferation of misery.

Last edited by Confido on June 17th, 2012, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 17th, 2012, 5:24 pm #8

It's their headquarters/hub.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
...until it hits Memphis, it's "incoming", then after Memphis it's "outgoing". Small Int'l packages a lot of the time will come over on a commercial flight to North America, then they find the quickest way to an airport with a FedEx facility, then ride a FedEx plane into Memphis where they're sorted and grouped by destination. Lots of times they probably come pretty close to their destination, but they're riding along with a bunch of other packages that have to go other places. And it's the most time-critcal parcels in that shipment that determine where it goes and what routes it takes. Less time-critical parcels are really just along for the ride with the more time-critical packages.

So, in theory, the way FedEx works is to get it to Memphis as quickly as possible, then get it to the destination as quickly as possible.

There are many "flavors" of FedEx, though. FedEx Ground (formerly RPS) and FedEx Home in the US work very differently than the original FedEx "Federal Express". I don't think those packages have to go through Memphis if there are other sorting facilities they can go to. And FedEx Smart Post is also much different, formerly Parcel Direct, it uses the US Mail system. But that's only domestic, all International has to go through Memphis.

They may move in what seem to be strange directions, but the key is to stay moving, they don't sit still for very long.

June 17th, 2012, 6:16 pm #9

...when ordering from HLJ, to Canada? This is the first time I order from Japan on my own...I used to "piggyback" my orders with a friend, but now he's passed away, so I have to figure it out on my own

I use USPS whenever ordering from U.S. (works fine), and I have no issues with Hannants and White Ensign from England...very fast service.

June 17th, 2012, 6:49 pm #10

- Andrew W.
It might seem like it's taking a rather circuitous route, but it's the way FedEx does things, like I said above, it's about getting it to Memphis as quickly as they can, then getting it to you as quickly as they can. If you get it tomorrow or Tuesday, that'll make 4-5 days, right? Not too shabby to get something from halfway around the world. Living in the US, I don't know how the whole Customs/tariffs/fees stuff works since we don't have to pay them, but I do know how FedEx works. I can remember waiting weeks for packages from HLJ back when they used air containers. If you got in right when the container was about full and ready to be sent, you'd get your stuff in a couple days, but if you got in at the start of a new container, it would take weeks. It was cheap though, but they don't offer it anymore.