High Cost of Plastic --

High Cost of Plastic --

March 30th, 2012, 12:02 am #1

If you think the price of kits today is high ... go price a fingernail brush !! Or a large plastic kitchen spoon !! George
Last edited by blueangelmodeler on March 30th, 2012, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 30th, 2012, 12:16 am #2

what really bugged me was when I worked in a retail drug store for 10 years. I saw the store cost and the retail, - most stuff was marked up 35%. Our discount was great and it really hurt when I left the company
and had to pay retail again, knowing what the actual cost really was.

I wonder if the plastic companies break down their ingredients of plastic to see just how much oil is used to create a product.

like how much oil is in the plastic of the 1/32 B-25?

Craig

March 30th, 2012, 12:32 am #3

I don't think the cost of plastic (or the oil in it) is the problem. Most kits & spoons etc only have a few cents-worth of plastic in their costings -- most cost is in labour to create the quality model-kit master, steel moulds etc ..... Depending on how many middle-men the product goes thru makes a difference too -- manufacturer, agent, wholesaler, retailer + transport, taxes etc.

Then there's the Capitalist "what it COSTS is largely irrevelent to what it SELLS for".

March 30th, 2012, 12:34 am #4

If you think the price of kits today is high ... go price a fingernail brush !! Or a large plastic kitchen spoon !! George
I talked with someone in the furniture business yesterday getting ready for the Furniture Market, the event of the year. They talked about how the Chinese, came in and sold their products at a loss but once they knew the American manufactors were dead and all the skilled workers were either in other industries or on government aid they started raising the prices.........

Will the same thing happen to plastic models?

March 30th, 2012, 12:35 am #5

what really bugged me was when I worked in a retail drug store for 10 years. I saw the store cost and the retail, - most stuff was marked up 35%. Our discount was great and it really hurt when I left the company

I wonder if the plastic companies break down their ingredients of plastic to see just how much oil is used to create a product.

Craig
Then there is the sub contracted work like decals, instructions, box/packing, transportation, etc. Then the various importer add ons, etc. There are some importers in the US known for price fixing and jacking the price over what it would probably be, too.

March 30th, 2012, 12:37 am #6

Craig
The cost of operating a store or any business is incredibly high -- every taxing organization in the area wants THEIR piece of the action.

If you are a carpender for example in business for yourself, there are "tangible assets" tax ... so if you bought a hammer 15 years ago for four dollars, the county wants you to pay tax on it ... a paint brush or whatever ... ask me how i know ... i threw the form in the garbage can !!!

March 30th, 2012, 12:39 am #7

I talked with someone in the furniture business yesterday getting ready for the Furniture Market, the event of the year. They talked about how the Chinese, came in and sold their products at a loss but once they knew the American manufactors were dead and all the skilled workers were either in other industries or on government aid they started raising the prices.........

It already has -- nt

March 30th, 2012, 12:40 am #8

Did i read somewhere that Revell is bringing some manufacturing back to US ?? N/T

March 30th, 2012, 12:46 am #9

...at the latest contest...

Two kits in one LM box, 2bucks for the LS kit, 5bucks for the "Rita".
A lot of fun and bang for the buck here if your willing to be not so picky....
On my budget, this is the only way I can keep stashing and building.

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

March 30th, 2012, 12:52 am #10

Did i read somewhere that Revell is bringing some manufacturing back to US ?? N/T
Got to the point where paying to ship the molds halfway around the world then paying to ship the kits back doesn't make financial sense. The boxes are still being printed in China as are some kits and some are made in Korea or Poland (Revell Germany reboxes). Guess it depends on where the tooling is physically located, if it's still in the US, they'll use an injection house here, if it's already overseas, they'll shoot it there.